My Custom Sports Card Creations

***Typo Alert*** You forgot to replace O'Neil with Carter on the card back. But otherwise a great couple of cards.
Oh crap. You're right. I was doing it a little bit at a time between patients. Must have skipped that line.

Edit: Fixed.

Thanks for the proof reading. I always appreciate an extra set of eyes.

Last edited:
No problem, cards can be fixed...just make sure you do the root canal on the correct tooth. :woot::banghead::nailbiting::angelic:

OK, here are a few more quick ones that I did this week.

First one is a card that commemorates the 2016 season of the Tennessee Titans. Over the last couple years, I have closely followed the Titans because I am a huge Mariota fan. So, I did a 1989 Topps style season card for their 2016 season. I did this card mostly because there is a great photo of hot-head OT Taylor Lewan sitting out a fight to avoid a suspension/penalty. I thought it was too good to pass up.

#93 1989 Topps 2016 Tennessee Titans
X6hJ8la.jpg

Next is another pair of Instant Replay 1984 Topps cards (yes, I know I am overdoing this design a bit...but I like it...these will be the last ones for a while). Both are for the debut pre-season performances of the 1st round picks of my favorite team (Panthers) and my next favorite team (Bears).

#94 1984 Topps Christian McCaffrey IR
VNjE6ti.jpg

#95 1984 Topps Mitchell Trubisky IR
2GWEQNO.jpg

I wish I had your skill! I can;t wait for My Henderson custom cards!
I'm glad you like them!!!

OK, here are a couple more that I have been working on:

#97 1967 Topps Special Darron Thomas
hb0Kp2W.jpg

This next one I have been wanting to do for some time. As I mentioned before, I loved the 1993 Post set when I was a kid. But, one major issue I had with it was it did not have my favorite player in it. The 1992 set did, the 1994 set did...but they skipped him in 1993. I felt I should fix that.

#98 1993 Post David Justice
05NaXfr.jpg

More to come!

OK, Tal...I know I promised you one more Rickey Henderson card but I wouldn't tell you what it was going to be. Well, here it is:

#99 1979 Topps Rickey Henderson pre-RC
7mfnPJe.jpg

I'm glad you like it. I'm happy with how well it turned out.

OK, here is my next one. This is the 100th card that I have done in my "random" set so I wanted to do something special and meaningful to me. So, I gave it some thought and I decided that #100 should be a new design. I also decided that it should be a design that has some meaning to me.

So, I decided to go with a version of the 1990 Pro Set Super Bowl MVP cards. You know, the cards that had an art-like photo on the front with the silver boarder. I remember having tons of those as a kid.

Once the design was decided upon, I had to pick the player. Of course, the choice seemed obvious to me...do a card for the player that started this whole thing for me. The player on that first card. So, that would be former Oregon QB Danny O'Neil.

Funny thing is, I have created more O'Neil customs than he actually had cards. So, here it is...#100.

#100 1990 Pro Set Danny O'Neil Rose Bowl co-MVP
apoHEky.jpg

Excellent choice with the 1990 Pro Set. Another clean and simple design. I love this set. Partially, because of the incredible amount of errors, and variations.

Excellent choice with the 1990 Pro Set. Another clean and simple design. I love this set. Partially, because of the incredible amount of errors, and variations.
Glad you like it. 1990 Pro Set is an interesting beast. So many variations and errors it would be a fun project at some point. I know the official set is 801 cards...plus a handful of special SPs and then all the variations. I'll bet it could easily top 1000 cards.

This custom's design though comes from an insert set from 1990 Pro Set. In their series 2 release, they had a 24 card "Super Bowl MVP" set which consisted of an artistic rendering of the player on the front. As far as I know, the insert set itself was free from any variations (I suppose by a miracle). Overall, this design was fairly simple and I was able to start and finish it yesterday (thanks to an afternoon full of no-show patients). The challenges for this card was first finding an appropriate photo. Photoshop has tools that allows for converting a photo into a painting or a drawing and it's pretty easy. The issue is, you need a high resolution photo to do it...and for lesser known college players from the 90s that can be a challenge. Creating the custom "O Set" logo was a bit tedious but wasn't difficult. Overall, it was a pretty straightforward design and I think it turned out well.

801 to over 1000?!?! Why SO MANY errors and variations? I can't imagine that they did photo variations back then like Topps does current sets. Quality control could not have been THAT bad in 1990?

801 to over 1000?!?! Why SO MANY errors and variations? I can't imagine that they did photo variations back then like Topps does current sets. Quality control could not have been THAT bad in 1990?
Mostly it was quality control. The set has also reached almost cult status for it's varieties and has gotten to the point where each card is heavily scrutinized. For example, some cards have a "missing period" variety in the third sentence on the back. Most of those don't really have a lot of collector appeal unless you REALLY like the set. There are a number of straightup errors and corrections (for example, one of the Joe Montana award winner cards has Jim Kelly's stats on the back...and there is a corrected version).

There are some really really popular varieties though. The two that come to mind are the Fred Marion card with John Taylor in the background with his belt unlocked (interesting visual result) and The Dexter Manley card that references his drug related suspension on the back (line removed really early in production).

Here's a good list: https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/complete-1990-pro-set-error-variation-and-oddity-list/

Here's a couple more quick ones.

The first is another Danny O'Neil card. I have had this on my list for a while and I decided to send him a full set of the cards of him I had created. So, I pushed this one to the top of the list to include it.

#101 1989 Topps Danny O'Neil
ImRHzWb.jpg

Up next is a card of my favorite player done in the design of one of the most popular vintage football sets.

#102 1962 Topps Joe Montana
z6O7GU3.jpg

Back