I'm happy to bring to SCC a group that I've been running on Twitter for a little while now. ToppsNOW is a product Topps sells on their website only--single cards run about $11 and change after shipping and tax, and come with a small chance of getting a parallel of either /49, /25, /10, /5, or /1. They're a blast, commemorating things that happened in MLB the last 24 hours, and are only available for that short time--24 hours. Thing is, they're cheaper when bought in bulk, so a year or so ago I had an idea: why not gather people together to purchase group orders?! We would get cards for the bulk price AND increase our chance of hitting parallels!
So for the second half of the 2022 season, we did that: a group of 30 or so of us on Twitter placed 95 orders, for a total of 725 cards, with an average print run of 4396 per card. We hit 42 parallels: 27 /49, 11 /25, 1 /10, 2 /5s, and one 1/1! (a Josh Jung Call-Up 1st HR card). That's good for a parallel average of .442, and a "slugging percentage" of .674--MVPs by any standard any season!
With the kind invitation of @AndyDrummond
, I'm happy to bring in SCC as part of the ToppsNOW group buying process we started on Twitter. If you're interested in joining that group, go ahead and message me at @sweetcardbro
. If not, though, now you can still get in on orders!
The method over here still has to be worked out, but the basics are as follows:
1. Every day, early in the afternoon, Topps will post their NOW cards for sale at https://www.topps.com/cards-collectibles/topps-now/mlbtoppsnow.html
2. Somewhere on here, I'll set up a way for claims to be made: if we end the order between here and Twitter at an order of 5 cards, the cost will be $7/card. If we get to 10 or 20, the cost becomes $6/card.
3. Folks in the orders send their amount to me via PayPal, I place the orders with Topps, and when they arrive (typically a full 2-3 weeks later, unfortunately), I'll open the packages live on Twitch to see if we hit any parallels.
**edit for clarity on step 3**: with the 2-3 week delay, I do ask that folks pay up front, to avoid backing out after cards have been ordered.
4. If we did in fact get a parallel (which, again, we did 42% of the time last year), it will immediately get randomed off to someone in the order. If 5 people each bought 1 card in a 5-card order, each person has a 20% chance at the parallel! If someone bought 2 of the 5 spots, they'd have a 40% chance by having their name in the drawing twice.
5. You can ask for your card to be sent to you next day nonmachinable PWE for no additional cost (though a $1 donation to cover the nonmachinable stamps is always appreciated). PWE can be for 1-3 cards. After your stack gets to 4 or more cards, I'll just ask for $4 BMWT when you're ready to ship. The only time that $4 goes much higher is if your stack gets realllly large (which only happened once last season with someone at 35 cards in their stack).
That's about it! There aren't any cards up today, but I expect some WBC ones to be posted soon. Let me know what questions you have and let's have some fun!