Show a random card you own thread!!

Had to have this one. He'll be remembered for a few things, but I really like his HR against Mike Marshall in the '74 WS. There was a delay, and Marshall refused to take warmups after that. MM fancied himself a technician, studied the science and all that. No t-shirt in freezing weather, that kind of thing. So when the workin' man's player Rudi took MM's first pitch and parked it over the wall, you had to love it.

Attachments

• Rudi 1.jpg
    Rudi 1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 9
Topps Now Purple #'d to 25 of Ezequiel Tovar. I hit another Rockies Purple /25 last night in the ToppsNow Group, thanks @sweetcardbro , might have to start collecting all ToppsNow Rockies purples to /25!

I think I have bought 12 ToppsNow cards through the ToppsNow Group here and have hit 3 parallels (the other being a Red #/10), all current Rockies RC and all former Hartford Yard Goats players for my PC.

IMG_20230810_0825391.jpg

Topps Now Purple #'d to 25 of Ezequiel Tovar. I hit another Rockies Purple /25 last night in the ToppsNow Group, thanks @sweetcardbro , might have to start collecting all ToppsNow Rockies purples to /25!

I think I have bought 12 ToppsNow cards through the ToppsNow Group here and have hit 3 parallels (the other being a Red #/10), all current Rockies RC and all former Hartford Yard Goats players for my PC.

View attachment 13753
The NOW purple just hits so perfectly with Rockies cards--awesome having you in there!

View attachment 13753
Great looking example there Larry!

Gotta love Topps' humor with these comics. I mean, I do love me a good SNAKE HUNTING session now and again....it makes me think though that Mario Mendoza of 'Mendoza line' fame got a bum rap; he finished his career at a relatively robust .215, whereas our designated snake hunter here Bob Davis finished at .197, albeit in only 665 at-bats. Which means if he had had only TWO more hits he would have finished at exactly .200. Let's hope Bob is a better snake hunter than he was hitter.

Attachments

• Bob Davis.jpg
    Bob Davis.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Gotta love Topps' humor with these comics. I mean, I do love me a good SNAKE HUNTING session now and again....it makes me think though that Mario Mendoza of 'Mendoza line' fame got a bum rap; he finished his career at a relatively robust .215, whereas our designated snake hunter here Bob Davis finished at .197, albeit in only 665 at-bats. Which means if he had had only TWO more hits he would have finished at exactly .200. Let's hope Bob is a better snake hunter than he was hitter.
@Mealticket

So it looks like Bob is from Pryor, Oklahoma. I imagine there isn't much to do there, and likely more snakes than people, as the population was 4,486 in 1950!!

Another piece of the trivial minutia locked in my head. This 1998 Upper Deck card doesn't seem special, but on July 18, 1998, I saw Alex Ochoa do some special things at the Oakland Coliseum. In the 2nd inning, he HOSED Rafael Bournigal at the plate, and in the 7th he HOSED Ryan Christenson at the plate. Both laser beams. This guy had a cannon for a throwing arm. He also drove in a run in the 6th on a fielder's choice, and as the Twins won the game 4-3, I think we can safely say he was the MVP of the game. Looks like one Ron Washington was the 3rd base coach. Not his finest hour. IMHO, Ochoa was an underrated player, and ended his career at .279. Not the power hitting of many outfielders, so you don't hear about him.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4
Another piece of the trivial minutia locked in my head. This 1998 Upper Deck card doesn't seem special, but on July 18, 1998, I saw Alex Ochoa do some special things at the Oakland Coliseum. In the 2nd inning, he HOSED Rafael Bournigal at the plate, and in the 7th he HOSED Ryan Christenson at the plate. Both laser beams. This guy had a cannon for a throwing arm. He also drove in a run in the 6th on a fielder's choice, and as the Twins won the game 4-3, I think we can safely say he was the MVP of the game. Looks like one Ron Washington was the 3rd base coach. Not his finest hour. IMHO, Ochoa was an underrated player, and ended his career at .279. Not the power hitting of many outfielders, so you don't hear about him.
@Mealticket

I remember Ochoa well, and definitely agree that he is a highly underrated player! Cool that you got to see such a great performance of his in person!!

Back