This Day In Sports History

Couple of Dodgers ones for you guys today…

On April 10, 1947, Jackie Robinson became the first African-American in the 20th century to sign a Major League contract, five days before making his debut for the Brooklyn Dodgers and breaking the color barrier in baseball.

Fifteen years later, on April 10, 1962, Dodger Stadium opened its doors for the first time in front of 52,564 fans in Los Angeles.

I'm glad this one hasn't been shared and I get to be the one to share it. Being my all-time favorite baseball player, this one is definitely one I enjoyed watching!

On this day, in the year 2000, Ken Griffey Jr. hit his 400th career homerun, making him the youngest player to do so. It's also worth nothing that this is also his dad, Ken Griffey Sr.'s, birthday. What a birthday present, getting to watch your son surpass such an incredible milestone in his career!

On this day, in 1877, James Alexander Tyng became the first player to wear a catcher's mask in a baseball game. That game was between Harvard and Live Oaks.

There were a few things that happened on this day, in 2004.

First, the Phillies played their first game at Citizens Bank Park.

Then, Barry Bonds his his 660th homerun, out of the park and into the San Francisco Bay, tying him for third in all-time career homeruns with Willie Mays.

I've got quite a few for today...

Baseball News

On April 13, 1954, Hank Aaron deputed with the Milwaukee Braves.

On this day in 1963 Pete Rose recorded his first ever hit in the majors.

Basketball News

On this day in 1957, the Boston Celtics won their first ever NBA championship by beating the St. Louis Hawks by a score of 125-123 in a game 7. Talk about what had to be a great series! Comes down to a game 7 that's decided by just 2 points?!

On this day in 2016 the Golden State Warriors finished their regular season with a record of 73-9, setting a new record previously set by the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls (75-10). It is worth noting, though, that they did not go on to win the NBA championship like the Bulls did during their remarkable season.

Golf News

On this day in 1997 Tiger Woods became the youngest player to ever win the Masters golf tournament. He was 21 years, 3 months, and 14 days old. The same year he also set a record for the best score ever at the Masters, at the time, by finishing at 18 under par.

Other Sports

On this day in 1979 the longest doubles ping-pong match ever recorded finally ended. The match, involving Lance, Phil, and Mark Warren and Bill Weir lasted 101 hours, 1 minute and 11 seconds and was played in Sacramento, CA. 😮

I've got quite a few for today...

Baseball News

On April 13, 1954, Hank Aaron deputed with the Milwaukee Braves.

On this day in 1963 Pete Rose recorded his first ever hit in the majors.

Basketball News

On this day in 1957, the Boston Celtics won their first ever NBA championship by beating the St. Louis Hawks by a score of 125-123 in a game 7. Talk about what had to be a great series! Comes down to a game 7 that's decided by just 2 points?!

On this day in 2016 the Golden State Warriors finished their regular season with a record of 73-9, setting a new record previously set by the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls (75-10). It is worth noting, though, that they did not go on to win the NBA championship like the Bulls did during their remarkable season.

Golf News

On this day in 1997 Tiger Woods became the youngest player to ever win the Masters golf tournament. He was 21 years, 3 months, and 14 days old. The same year he also set a record for the best score ever at the Masters, at the time, by finishing at 18 under par.

Other Sports

On this day in 1979 the longest doubles ping-pong match ever recorded finally ended. The match, involving Lance, Phil, and Mark Warren and Bill Weir lasted 101 hours, 1 minute and 11 seconds and was played in Sacramento, CA. 😮
Man that must have been one heck of a ping pong match!

Basketball News

On this day in 1962, Elgin Baylor, of the Los Angeles Lakers, scored 61 points in a playoff game against the Celtics, making it the most points any player had scored in an NBA playoff game at the time. The only player to beat that since was Michael Jordan.

Golf News

On this day in 2002, Tiger Woods won his second straight Masters tournament, making him just the third player to ever do so.

My all-time favorite basketball player until Vince Carter came along. I'm still a huge MJ fan, obviously, but VC15 moved slightly ahead.

Anyways, very cool you got to actually see MJ in person. That's awesome! Even better that he out on a show.

Back