Sports Equinox

LarryG

Hall of Fame
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
I thought this was fun. Today is only the 26th day ever with games from all major sports being played - a Sports Equinox:

I liked these fun facts at the end of the article:
  • The first ever Sports Equinox was recorded on Oct. 17, 1971 with 12 NFL games, three NBA games, six NHL games and one MLB game.
  • The city of Los Angeles hosted five major professional U.S. sports leagues – NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL – on Oct. 28, 2018. LA teams went 3-2 that day. It was referred to as a Super Sports Equinox.
  • After the COVID-19 pandemic temporarily suspended sports, fans were treated to a busy day on Sept. 10, 2020 that included the NFL, MLB, NBA, WNBA, MLS, Tennis and NHL.
  • There was a 16-year period from 1985 - 2001 without a single Sports Equinox. They have been happening more often in part because of the NFL's Thursday Night Football, which officially debuted in 2006.

Enjoy!

Really interesting @LarryG , I had no idea that there was a term for it! Sports Equinox has a nice ring to it, and would likely only be possible in mid to late October or early November, given the fact that there is a narrow window of overlap for the 4 major sports! Cool stuff, thank you!

Back