My Custom Sports Card Creations

OK, here's the next one. @unkilldoo, this one is for you:

#26 1989 Donruss Rick Vaughn
vFDDvGf.jpg

Very Cool! Looks Awesome! Love the Bio, and that you included, that he played in the California Penal League!
LOL, I was a little on the fence about including the California Penal League line as it's probably not something Donruss would have printed...but it's important to his story and it's fun. Plus, it's a little subtle too...I guess. Also, there is precedent for something like that (sort of). There is a very sought after short printed version of the 1990 Pro Set Dexter Manley card that mentions his "suspension for violating the rules substance abuse policy." So, I figured things like this have happened before.

Here are a few more:

The first one is a little more customized that I normally do. I wanted to do a 1974 Topps Highlight card for Johnny Unitas...but they didn't have any Highlight cards in the original 1974 Topps set for me to replicate. They didn't even have any "In Action" or "Record Breaker" or any other subsets that I could re-purpose. So...I had to be a little more creative.

The majority of the base cards in the 1974 Topps set feature a goal post shaped boarder. However, the handful of players designated "All-Pros" have a more squared type boarder in black instead which reminded me a little of a Topps Record Breaker design. So, I took the All-Pro design...changed the colors and used that as a basic shape for the front of the card. The back is totally custom but it is done in the spirit of Record Breaker and Highlight cards from different years. The colors on the back are the same colors used on the backs of 1974 Topps cards. So here it is:

#27 1974 Topps Johnny Unitas HL
CfPq4kO.jpg

Next is the continuation of my Oregon football team leaders cards that I began with 1994. This is the third card...for the 1996 season.

#28 1989 Topps '96 Oregon Ducks
wM4vp2k.jpg

One more for now. This is a card that I created a long time ago and "rejected" for the 1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club Set. Sometimes I will do a card in a couple different versions because I don't know exactly how it's going to work. Sometimes I really like one of the alternate cards...but it just doesn't fit what I am doing. Often I will save those alternate designs in case I want them later...this is one of those cards.

When I first started doing the 40,000 Yard Club Set, I was debating on what team to put on the front for certain players. My struggle was a decision between portraying the player with the team they are most known for...or portraying the player with the team they surpassed the 40,000 yard milestone with. I created alternate versions of the first handful of cards (when applicable) before I made my final decision. Ultimately I decided that 40,000 career yards is a career achievement and thus portrayed the player with their most known team.

Here is one of those alternate cards. Joe Montana spent the majority of his career in San Francisco...but he surpassed the 40,000 yard milestone in his final NFL season with Kansas City. Here is the "rejected" KC design...which I actually really like. I think the color in the photo really look nice with the boarder colors.

#29 1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club Joe Montana KC
SlhjrLA.jpg

OK guys...here are a couple more:

The first one is another Marcus Mariota...it should be pretty clear by now I'm a pretty big fan of his. I have always loved the 1985 Topps design so I thought I would make one of him in it. On this card, the photo is from Oregon's 2014 game against Washington when the Ducks wore 1994 Oregon throwbacks.

#30 1985 Topps Marcus Mariota
3BSIXAT.jpg

This next one I thought would be fun. Most people cringe when they see Hall of Fame caliber players playing with random teams at the end of their career...at only a fraction of their "prime" skill level. Well, this is a card of just that. For one season, Reggie White came out of retirement and played with the Carolina Panthers. For me, a legend like him playing for my favorite team was really cool...even if he was well past his prime. So, I thought I would create my own custom showing that.

#31 1984 Topps Reggie White
q9UyheI.jpg

Just a little constructive criticism,or actually proof reading. In the bio on the back, 4th line, you have a typo on the Reggie White card. "Sfter" instead of "After". But, as usual they look awesome!

Just a little constructive criticism,or actually proof reading. In the bio on the back, 4th line, you have a typo on the Reggie White card. "Sfter" instead of "After". But, as usual they look awesome!
Good catch...I read the bio twice and totally missed that. Thanks for spotting it! It's now fixed.

OK, here are a couple more customs.

The first one is one of my all-time favorite college player...Tony Graziani. I wanted to try something a little different...so I decided to do a Pro Set design. I decided to do it as a rookie card design from 1989.

#32 1989 Pro Set Tony Graziani
hnonMEC.jpg

This next one I thought would be fun. One of my earliest projects was to create cards for a relative of mine who played in the NFL...and never had cards. I have always liked the 1987 Topps set (for some reason)...and thought it would be fun to do a "Box Bottoms" version (this was back in the day when wax boxes had cards on the bottom you could cut out). Since I had a Tim Wrightman template already made it was pretty easy to swap in a different photo and make the color changes to produce the Box Bottom design. So, here it is:

#33 1987 Topps Box Bottoms Tim Wrightman
GOgBqyB.jpg

They look great! I really like the 1987 Topps Box Bottom card of your relative. Not only because it just plain looks good. But, also because I love parallels. As for the 1989 Pro Set card I like that one also, and I love the fact that you made it a "Scouting Photo Variation". Just remember, if you ever decide to do a 1990 Pro Set card that you need to put some kind of error in it, as they were famous for errors.

They look great! I really like the 1987 Topps Box Bottom card of your relative. Not only because it just plain looks good. But, also because I love parallels. As for the 1989 Pro Set card I like that one also, and I love the fact that you made it a "Scouting Photo Variation". Just remember, if you ever decide to do a 1990 Pro Set card that you need to put some kind of error in it, as they were famous for errors.
LOL, actually I do have a 1990 on the list. I should do something...perhaps a couple variations (one with stripe, one without stripe...something).

Actually, 1989 had some of that too. I know there are 3 versions of the later series Jim McMahon and one of them is quite desirable. It's on my list of cards I'm looking for.

I'm glad you like the 1987 box bottom. I thought it was a fun idea. I recently added a 1987 box bottom of Montana to my Joe Montana PC and it gave me the idea. In a couple weeks Tim is going to get a surprise in the mail...I'm going to send him a copy as well as another one I have done that I haven't released yet (he's featured on my Super Bowl XX card...not a star but heck, it's my set).

Here's a couple more to share.

This first one is another card commemorating my favorite football game ever played...the 1995 Rose Bowl. I know Oregon lost the game, but that season was a miracle season and put the Ducks on the map. I was 9 at the time and was just starting to really follow football. There was something magical about that season and making it to the "big game" was a huge deal to us...even though we lost.

So, I wanted to do a card for this game in the style of one of Topps Super Bowl cards. I selected 1985 Topps and designed it in the spirit of the card that commemorated Super Bowl XIX from that set. On the original card, the fonts and boxes on the front are in 49ers colors (since they won the game). So, I did them in Penn State colors on the front for this card. Because the PSU blue is so dark (too little contrast with the black boarders of the card)...I had to use their white for the bulk of it. However, if you look close you will notice that the score is not in black...but is in PSU blue.

#34 1985 Topps 1995 Rose Bowl
Kc1hmEJ.jpg

The next card is one that I truly believe is missing from the 1974 Topps set. I know sometimes Topps omitted players because they retired after the season (thus not giving them a final card) or sometimes it was due to licensing reasons. I don't know what the story is...but Joe Namath's final appearance on Topps cardboard comes in the 1973 set and Joe played through 1977. One would think he would at least have had cards through 1977 (it not '78). I can only assume this was due to some kind of licensing issue as Topps probably wouldn't choose to omit a star of his magnitude...even in his declining years. I'm sure this bothers Jets fans (@unkilldoo).

I would like to slowly create customs to fill in these "missing" cards. I already did the 1978 Topps some time ago (Namath with the Rams) but I would like to work on 1974-77. My goal is do produce these 4 cards (possibly 5 if I do a 1977 Topps Mexican) and slowly mix them in with my others.

So, here is the first one:
#35 1974 Topps Joe Namath
AFwhE9t.jpg

Back