My Custom Sports Card Creations

Here are a couple more of the 40,000 Yard Club cards I finished today.

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #9 Vinny Testaverde
Doc3j2J.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #10 Drew Bledsoe
CqEt9I2.jpg

OK, so it has been a while since I posted anything. I was very sick for a lot of October and as soon as I was back to work...things got very busy. So, haven't had a lot of free time to design. But, here are a couple new ones. I just finished the 1973 a few minutes ago.

The first one is of Carolina Panthers backup Derek Anderson. Anderson does not have a card with the Panthers and I thought he deserved one. Although he's a former Oregon State QB (Boo)...I did enjoy watching him play when he was in college and I'm glad he has found some NFL success.

#16 1973 Topps Derek Anderson
cAzWaRD.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #11 Peyton Manning

tNl037p.jpg

I'm sure most people will remember Kerry Collins as a member of the Giants...if I was being really strict about this I would probably have done it that way. But, I love my Panthers...and it's my set, so I took some artistic license. :)

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #12 Kerry Collins
6990vAr.jpg

Sweet looking Kerry Collins... but who's that Peyton guy? lol

Collins .. 1995? what? seems like only yesterday I was watching him play for Penn State

Sweet looking Kerry Collins... but who's that Peyton guy? lol

Collins .. 1995? what? seems like only yesterday I was watching him play for Penn State
I agree. I remember his last game with Penn State. They played in the Rose Bowl against my Ducks. That was the year that Oregon really grew up. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Thanks. The O'Neil is really special.

I'm not a fan of Favre either (or Elway for that matter)...but they meet the criteria for the set. Actually, a buddy of mine is a huge Favre fan so I'm probably gonna make an extra example of that card and give it to him.

Just my 2 cents if you don't mind...First of all these cards look awesome, all of them. I think you did a great job. Now back to my 2 cents. Have you given any thought to sending 2 copies of the cards that you send off to get signed? Maybe Danny O'Neil, and some of the other Ducks players, that didn't have a card of themselves produced, would enjoy a copy of their own card. I think it would be a great gesture. OK, that's my 2 cents.

Just my 2 cents if you don't mind...First of all these cards look awesome, all of them. I think you did a great job. Now back to my 2 cents. Have you given any thought to sending 2 copies of the cards that you send off to get signed? Maybe Danny O'Neil, and some of the other Ducks players, that didn't have a card of themselves produced, would enjoy a copy of their own card. I think it would be a great gesture. OK, that's my 2 cents.
I actually have. I sent O'Neil and Saladin McCullough 3 cards each...1 for me and 2 for them. I also include in my letters that I'm happy to make additional cards for them if they would like.

So, I really wanted to get the 40,000 Yard Club set done...so I spent some time today and ground it out. I will update the stats of all the active players on the back once they retire and since the set has been done in order of joining the club...any new members can be easily added down the road.

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #13 Drew Brees
aHSTJDz.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #14 Tom Brady

EMezqd2.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #15 Eli Manning

fFjemkg.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #16 Ben Roethlisberger

tVgTeSh.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #17 Philip Rivers

uUTXMRz.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #18 Carson Palmer
J7X3vhn.jpg

So, I really wanted to get the 40,000 Yard Club set done...so I spent some time today and ground it out. I will update the stats of all the active players on the back once they retire and since the set has been done in order of joining the club...any new members can be easily added down the road.

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #13 Drew Brees
aHSTJDz.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #14 Tom Brady

EMezqd2.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #15 Eli Manning

fFjemkg.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #16 Ben Roethlisberger

tVgTeSh.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #17 Philip Rivers

uUTXMRz.jpg

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #18 Carson Palmer
J7X3vhn.jpg

Very cool, these look great. Laying them out in chronological order was a great idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a fun TTM success the other day. Several months ago, I sent a 1984 Topps USFL card to former NFL/USFL QB Greg Landry. He was one of the big name NFL veterans to sign with the new league. He was kind enough to sign the card for me.

His only USFL card was in the 1984 set and it featured him with the Arizona Wranglers. What was odd about the Topps USFL sets is that they depicted players during the 1984 season. Traditionally, Topps NFL cards depicted players from the previous year...this is due to the NFL season being in the fall and the lack of time for production. Because the USFL was a spring league, this was not an issue.

However, as a result there is no Topps depiction of the 1983 USFL season. In 1983, Greg Landry played for the Chicago Blitz. So, using the 1984 Topps USFL design, I created a custom card for Landry with the Blitz. I sent it to him about 2 months ago and it came back the other day signed!

Here are both cards. The custom is on the left and the real card is on the right.

Jn2APSL.jpg

Thanks.

Here is my latest creation. I will admit I started this one back in November and had it 80% done when I got side tracked with other hobbies and projects. Just never got back to it. Well, today I just dove back in and finished it.

This is yet another example of a player where Topps didn't make a final card for. He played through 1987 but his last Topps issue was 1987 (which reflects his career from 75-86). So, that final NFL season gets omitted from Topps cardboard. I decided to make a 1988 Topps card for him which would reflect his entire career.

#17 1988 Topps Walter Payton
NlQr4IR.jpg

Back