Baseball Jenks Reacts To Trade Rumors

DetroitTigers

I Love The Tigers!!!!
CHICAGO -- Firing the baseball at 100 mph past opposing hitters' feeble attempts to make contact once stood as a trademark of Bobby Jenks' pitching repertoire upon arriving in the Majors.
Now, "velocity" almost has become a four-letter word for one of the true fan favorites on the White Sox roster.

There's no denying that the White Sox closer doesn't work as frequently in the 98-100 mph range as he did during the 2005 or 2006 seasons. But as Jenks has explained on numerous occasions, his concentration switched to becoming a more complete pitcher rather than simply a hard thrower.

Continued focus on that velocity dip led Jenks to politely decline any further questions from the media about the topic a couple years back. When the questions continued, Jenks declined with a bit more authority, much like a brushback pitch to a hitter standing as the tying run in the ninth inning and digging in at the plate against the burly right-hander.

With the plethora of trade rumors carrying Jenks' name floating around this offseason -- not to mention those said trade possibilities tied into this drop in velocity -- Jenks has decided to break out the high heater one more time. During an exclusive conversation with MLB.com, Jenks presented a final summation concerning this much-discussed velocity conundrum.

"This is the last time I have something to say on it, but I've dropped my velocity on purpose," said Jenks, 27, during a phone interview from his home in a western suburb of Chicago. "If you don't think this is true, look back when I was throwing more consistently harder at the end of this last season than at the beginning.

"Against Minnesota [in the American League Central tiebreaker], I was throwing 97-to-100 to get those last three outs. It's not about velocity drops. It's about getting outs. Anyone can time 100 mph if they see it enough.

"Basically, I sat down and discussed what would make me a better pitcher," said Jenks of a conversation he had a few years ago with White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper. "We didn't discuss velocity, but we talked about command and consistency with all of my pitches. My strikeouts are down, yes, but my pitch efficiency is higher than ever and my walks are down. I'm getting hitters swinging early in the counts, and when they get behind, I can put them away."

The statistics for Jenks over the past two seasons certainly back up his hypothesis. His ERA dropped from 4.00 in 2006 to 2.77 in 2007, when he tied a Major League record by retiring 41 straight hitters, to 2.63 in 2008. Jenks' innings pitched totals also dropped in each season, but only from 69 2/3 in 2006 to 61 2/3 during last season.

In 2006, Jenks set a personal-best with 80 strikeouts but also had a personal-worst 31 walks. Over the last two years, Jenks has walked a combined 30 over 126 2/3 innings, while yielding a mere 96 hits. Not exactly the sign of a closer in crisis, not when this same closer has accrued 111 saves in those three seasons.

A general Hot Stove assumption that truly seemed to agitate Jenks dealt with the velocity drop being tied to the trade rumors and then coming out together as the hint of an injury. It bothered Jenks enough to disrupt his relatively low-key offseason spent with his wife and three kids to talk about the matter.

"You know what? I haven't ever been hurt since being in the big leagues other than 10 days [in 2008], and that wasn't pitching that got me hurt," said Jenks, who was out of action from June 30-July 18 with left shoulder bursitis. "It was something I had behind my left scapula, water in the joint, and you can't really prevent or help that.

"Any skeptics out there who think the reason I wasn't traded was because I was hurt, well, good. I've proved myself numerous times before, but I don't really know if I have to prove myself again against something said like that.

"I'll take my numbers all day long and shove them back in the face of any critic," Jenks said. "Me being hurt had nothing to do with anything related to pitching."

During the entire length of this extended conversation, Jenks maintained an easy-going demeanor that is visible so frequently in the White Sox clubhouse. Supreme confidence clearly was evident in Jenks' comments when talking about his physical condition and results on the field, but that confidence had strong statistical backing, for example, from opponents posting a .193 average against him with runners in scoring position and a .100 average against with runners in scoring position and two outs.

These comments from Jenks never became defiant, as much as they were matter-of-fact statements. As for the trade scenarios, a devout follower of the game seemed more intrigued than insulted in taking his spot on a stage where many elite players have found themselves previously situated.

From keeping track of the rumors, Jenks heard his name attached to the Mets, Brewers, Dodgers and even the Angels, who cut Jenks loose after the 2004 season. With Tony Reagins -- a man who Jenks likes and who liked Jenks as he was coming up the system -- now running the Angels, Jenks joked that a move out West wasn't quite so preposterous.

Quickly putting on his general manager's hat, Jenks claimed that he knew the Mets would never be his destination if a trade was actually consummated. Jenks viewed that move as a maneuver to lower free agent Francisco Rodriguez's asking price by showing other quality closers were available.

"Obviously, I was taken aback a little bit the first time my name was mentioned," said Jenks of the trade rumors. "Of course, I think I've proven myself to be at the level I am. It also makes me realize that I've been doing well, because other teams want me.

"It makes me feel good. From what I've done for this team, other teams are throwing things out there to get me. You eventually realize it is a business. When you are doing well and become a sort of big-time player, your name is going to come up at one point or another."

White Sox general manager Ken Williams dismissed the Jenks talk as "rumor and innuendo" during the Winter Meetings, and when the White Sox begin Spring Training in Glendale, Ariz., Jenks still will be the team's closer. He lists himself in good physical condition and is working hard to be ready for the team's report date in mid-February.

Doubters occasionally still will be present, especially where Jenks' velocity is concerned. But Jenks had one closing comment before putting this issue to rest, once and for all in his mind.

"If you are not here watching every game, then keep your mouth shut because you don't know what goes on," Jenks said. "As for me proving myself, it's over. I've already done it."

Jenks reacts to trade rumors, critics | MLB.com: News

Back