Grading Companies DO make a difference

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Here is a photograph of three auctions, same card, basically the same grade, BUT by different Grading Companies (BGS and BCCG). All three had less than 10 minutes to go when the picture was taken. (NOT my picture, took this off a FB page)

Notice the first two, both 10's, but the BGS is at $302 and the BCCG is at $46, with the BGS 9.5 going at $72.

grading.jpg

BCCG is a joke and everyone knows this. Anyone who submits to BCCG in hopes of flipping cards for big money has been sniffing cards a little too long.

BGS and BCCG are the same company.

BGS is Beckett's primary grading service, which ranks "Mint" as a 9 grade. BCCG is Beckett's discount grading service, which ranks "Mint" as a 10 grade.

BCCG has never been considered worth anything. I still to this day don't understand why Beckett even bothers to offer that service. It almost seems to me that it lessons their overall reputation in the industry.

Also...Randy, you need to charge your phone. :D

It makes very little sense for them to continue offering both services. I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with this.

Wasn't BCCG originally targeted as a vintage card service...but somewhere along the way it just became their worthless lower tier service?

Beckett has three labeling companies: BGS, BVG, BCCG.

Basically, BGS and BVG are the same side of the company, with BVG being for vintage. Initially, BVG cards were considered sub-par, because Beckett applied their stupid allowances rule (like they do in the price guides) for cards older than X. I think that got squashed relatively quickly, since I don't really see the "BVG discount" anymore on eBay.

BCCG is basically like a self-slabber. They charge $2.50 per card in bulk, so it's like getting the Beckett slab without really getting the grade. It's useful if you assume they'll buy/sell for BGS 8.5 (or in some cases 8) money and act accordingly.

Basically, BGS and BVG are the same side of the company, with BVG being for vintage. Initially, BVG cards were considered sub-par, because Beckett applied their stupid allowances rule (like they do in the price guides) for cards older than X. I think that got squashed relatively quickly, since I don't really see the "BVG discount" anymore on eBay.
I think this is what I was trying to remember...it was BVG for vintage, not BCCG.

I don't think you'd find fake cards in BCCG slabs. I've never owned a BCCG slabbed card, so I don't know if they use the same slabs, but I could see paying $2.50 per card to get my cards I want to display into BGS slabs... in my experience, they're waterproof.

So since we are talking about grading cards. The question I have is should all cards get graded period or only only specific ones? Is it all the highest money value or for protection? Some grading companies are better than others and not worth going with so seems to be a lot of different ideas on this. The only ones I have were part of the Donruss Football release a few years back and I don't have any graded cards I sent in. I looked into grading and it would be a small fortune for me to get my cards graded and a lot are not any high value and it would cost more to grade then what some are worth.
Any enlightenment or direction on this would be welcomed.

Back