Gerald McCoy, Bruce Campbell declare

DNoz29

Bench Warmer
McCoy, the Oklahoma DT, should be a top 15 pick (at worst).

Campbell could be a top 10 pick. He has all the physical abilities, but he has injury concerns.

Arrelious Benn also declared earlier this week.

Eric Berry, the Tennessee safety, won't decide until after the team's bowl game. If he's smart, he'll declare. He's the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor (though, he's not on that level... not many are).

I did not see much, if anything to really keep McCoy that high. I know a great D-Line player is worth it, but I just do not see it. Perhaps it was Suh overshadowing, but I think Glenn Dorsey was a better college player than McCoy (at least).

I did not see much, if anything to really keep McCoy that high. I know a great D-Line player is worth it, but I just do not see it. Perhaps it was Suh overshadowing, but I think Glenn Dorsey was a better college player than McCoy (at least).
Definitely. Dorsey was a great college player. He is in the absolutely wrong scheme right now to be successful.

McCoy is a special talent and could move into the top 5, especially if the Rams take Suh and Tampa is left to choose from other players. I think McCoy would be a perfect fit on that team.

I think Berry is better than Sean Taylor was.
Taylor was on his way to becoming one of the best ever before the tragedy. Berry has a chance to be that good, but Taylor's abilities and size were an absolutely deadly combination and separate him from the rest of the upcoming safeties.

If Taylor Mays had half of Sean Taylor's abilities, we'd be talking about him being the best safety prospect in years.

Definitely. Dorsey was a great college player. He is in the absolutely wrong scheme right now to be successful.

McCoy is a special talent and could move into the top 5, especially if the Rams take Suh and Tampa is left to choose from other players. I think McCoy would be a perfect fit on that team.

Maybe, but he did not dominate in my mind like I would want a top 5-10 pick do.

I like McCoy. Rating him as an individual prospect, he's very quick for his position/size. Good hand moves, agility, and technique, and can slide with the play if it is a pitch or sweep.

I do worry just a bit at what Brad has mentioned. I've seen him get sealed out of plays at times, watching him play on TV (out here in Big 12 country, I can't avoid OU games). However, in a quick-pass happy Big 12, it is hard to register gaudy stats on the D-line. Which makes what Suh did that much more impressive.

Taylor was on his way to becoming one of the best ever before the tragedy. Berry has a chance to be that good, but Taylor's abilities and size were an absolutely deadly combination and separate him from the rest of the upcoming safeties.

If Taylor Mays had half of Sean Taylor's abilities, we'd be talking about him being the best safety prospect in years.

All we can judge them at this point is their college careers, and Berry is certainly more decorated.

Agreed. Taylor was really coming into his own the last year and a half of his life. With his athletic ceiling, what could have been...

I like McCoy. Rating him as an individual prospect, he's very quick for his position/size. Good hand moves, agility, and technique, and can slide with the play if it is a pitch or sweep.

I do worry just a bit at what Brad has mentioned. I've seen him get sealed out of plays at times, watching him play on TV (out here in Big 12 country, I can't avoid OU games). However, in a quick-pass happy Big 12, it is hard to register gaudy stats on the D-line. Which makes what Suh did that much more impressive.
Yeah. The combine should dictate a lot where McCoy ends up falling into place.

Suh is amazing. Last year, people was saying Dorsey was the best DT prospect to come along in awhile (yours truly included). Suh just blows Dorsey away. I know they're different players, but Suh is incredible. He is easily the best player available in this draft. He should be the No. 1 pick, no matter which team has that honor.

Out of the declared players listed above, the toughest to really gauge is Arrelious "Rejus" Benn. Pretty raw pro prospect, IMO. While he has the size and speed that you would want in a physical type of WR, he hasn't come along like expected (somewhat due to the QB situation at Illinois). Maybe a few too many body catches on the highlights, versus using his hands.

If he finds a team that can help him polish up his routes and overall skills, matched up with his size, he has strong upside. :LOL:

Out of the declared players listed above, the toughest to really gauge is Arrelious "Rejus" Benn. Pretty raw pro prospect, IMO. While he has the size and speed that you would want in a physical type of WR, he hasn't come along like expected (somewhat due to the QB situation at Illinois). Maybe a few too many body catches on the highlights, versus using his hands.

If he finds a team that can help him polish up his routes and overall skills, matched up with his size, he has strong upside. :LOL:
Good analysis.

That seems to be the case with a lot of the physically gifted WRs. I think if the Cards somehow got him, he would reach that potential. That would only happen if Boldin if moved, though.

Good analysis.

That seems to be the case with a lot of the physically gifted WRs. I think if the Cards somehow got him, he would reach that potential. That would only happen if Boldin if moved, though.

Yeah, I even threw in an emoticon because the old "raw, needs polish" label seemed so cliche. But it's true up to this point. Funny you mention Boldin, with the early track Benn was on, that was the high-level comparison. Not sure what the pro comparison is at this point.

Yeah, that comparison was made a lot last year. Benn was hampered by injury for a good part of the season, but he was definitely a victim of the new offensive coordinator and a complete inability of any Illinois quarterback, whether it was Juice or the freshman, to find him. Nothing was more frustrating this past year than the fact that Benn more or less disappeared.

I doubt he will catch on anywhere as a QB, but I would like to see Juice Williams with a good QB coach. I thought after his Sophmore year he could develop into a decent prospect.

Back on topic, the pass happy Big 12 might have been a factor, but it is not like the SEC didn't have teams that would spread it out thus making it hard on a DT.

Back