1/19 Two-Round Mock

DNoz29

Bench Warmer
Hot off the presses. :)

Round 1

1. St. Louis - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
- I'm tired of explaining this one.
2. Detroit - DT Gerald McCoy*, Oklahoma
- If not for Suh, McCoy would be the top DT prospect in this draft. The Lions could use some beef in the middle.
3. Tampa Bay - S Eric Berry*, Tennessee
- The Bucs would love a shot at one of the top two DTs, but "settling" for the best safety prospect in years will have to do.
4. Washington - OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma St.
- With Shanahan in town, Clausen (or even Bradford) is a distinct possibility. However, the Redskins have a greater need at LT.
5. Kansas City - ILB Rolando McClain*, Alabama
- McClain is one of the fastest-rising players of the off-season. He is a natural fit for the 3-4 and the Chiefs have a huge hole in the middle of their linebacking corp.
6. Seattle - QB Jimmy Clausen*, Notre Dame
- Methinks Jon may dislike this pick, but with Pete Carroll coming in, he's going to want a QB of the future. Since Mark Sanchez came out last year, he'll just have to go with Clausen.
7. Cleveland - DE/OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas
- Kindle had a great National Championship game and should provide the Browns with a much needed edge pass rusher.
8. Oakland - OT Anthony Davis*, Rutgers
- At this juncture, Anthony Davis is the smart pick. He could end up being the best OT in this class. However, I don't expect Al Davis to make the smart pick.
9. Buffalo - QB Sam Bradford*, Oklahoma
- The Bills have needed a QB since Jim Kelly retired. It's been awhile and new head coach Chan Gailey (lol) could look to the former Heisman Trophy winner.
10. Jacksonville - DE Derrick Morgan*, Georgia Tech
- Morgan is probably a top five talent but falls due to other needs. The Jags had the fewest sacks in the league this season, so this pick is pretty much a no-brainer.
11. Denver (from CHI) - WR Dez Bryant*, Oklahoma St.
- It seems everyone is leaving Denver, including coordinators. What's to stop the team's best player from leaving, too? Brandon Marshall is likely out and Bryant would step in to take his place.
12. Miami - DE/OLB Jason Pierre-Paul*, South Florida
- Pierre-Paul, another fast riser, is seen as an athletic freak who could make the transition to 3-4 OLB because of said athleticism. I like him better as a 4-3 DE, but Miami will have an awfully good teacher in Jason Taylor.
13. San Francisco - CB Joe Haden*, Florida
- Cornerback may not be the biggest need for the Niners, but a potential shutdown CB is hard to pass on. Haden would help improve the secondary.
14. Seattle (from DEN) - RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
- Seattle neglects the offensive line in favor of a potential franchise QB and explosive RB. It could turn out to be worth it.
15. N.Y. Giants - DT Brian Price*, UCLA
- Yet another fast-riser, Price is the ideal 4-3 DT and could work his way even higher as the off-season continues.
16. San Francisco (from CAR) - OT Trent Williams*, Oklahoma
- Tackles like Campbell and Bulaga fall due to the Niners needing a right tackle, which is exactly what Williams profiles as.
17. Tennessee - DE Everson Griffen*, USC
- Griffen is one of the most talented players in this draft, but has never lived completely up to that level. The Titans aren't scared by that and take him to help the pass rush.
18. Pittsburgh - OT Bruce Campbell*, Maryland
- The Steelers would be ecstatic if Campbell was around here. He is a future LT, as long as he can stay healthy.
19. Atlanta - OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
- With Travis Lewis' decision to stay in school, Weatherspoon becomes the clear No. 1 OLB in this draft. The Falcons need some help at that position.
20. Houston - S Earl Thomas*, Texas
- Thomas is a Bob Sanders-type safety and could line up opposite Bernard Pollard to form quite the safety duo.
21. Cincinnati - WR Damian Williams*, USC
- Williams offers good speed, route running and return ability, which is all something the Bengals could use at receiver.
22. New England - DE/DT Arthur Jones, Syracuse
- One of my favorite prospects, Jones falls this far due to injury. He is the best 3-4 DE prospect in this draft.
23. Green Bay - OT Bryan Bulaga*, Iowa
- This is a perfect marriage. Bulaga would immediately start at LT for the Pack, a team that needs someone to protect their franchise QB.
24. Philadelphia - OLB Navorro Bowman*, Penn St.
- The Eagles defense collapsed late in the season and the linebacker play needs improving. Bowman is a physical 'backer who could start from day one.
25. Baltimore - S Taylor Mays, USC
- A week after falling to Cleveland in the second, Mays is back in the first round. There is serious concern that Ed Reed will retire. If he does, he couldn't have picked a better year, as safety is insanely deep.
26. Arizona - ILB Brandon Spikes, Florida
- Spikes had a better junior year than senior year, but he still finds himself in the first round. The Cards' defense was exposed in the playoffs. With Karlos Dansby not a lock to return, inside linebacker is near the top of Arizona's needs.
27. Dallas - S Morgan Burnett*, Georgia Tech
- The Cowboys pass on Charles Brown in favor of a ballhawking free safety in Burnett. He would fill the void the 'Boys have had at FS for awhile (no, Ken Hamlin isn't a good FS).
28. San Diego - DT Dan Williams, Tennessee
- Like the Cards' defense, the Charger defense was exposed, especially in the middle. Williams and Cody are battling for the top NT in this draft. It's a toss-up, but the Bolts like Williams just a little more.
29. N.Y. Jets - DE/OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU
- Vernon Gholston is playing out of position in New York, so the Jets take another edge rusher. This time, however, it should work out a little better.
30. Minnesota - S Chad Jones*, LSU
- A fifth safety in the first round (that's gotta be a record), the Vikes take Jones to help shore up the secondary.
31. New Orleans - DE Brandon Graham, Michigan
- The Saints could use some depth at defensive end, and Graham fits the bill.
32. Indianapolis - DE Corey Wootton, Northwestern
- Freeney and Mathis is a good DE combo, but they won't be around forever. Wootton is an intriguing prospect, as he possesses great size and physicality.

Round 2

33. St. Louis - RB Jahvid Best*, California
34. Detroit - OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
35. Tampa Bay - WR Golden Tate*, Notre Dame
36. Washington - RB Jonathan Dwyer*, Georgia Tech
37. Kansas City - DT Terrence Cody, Alabama
38. Seattle - OT Charles Brown, USC
39. Cleveland - CB Trevard Lindley, Kentucky
40. Oakland - DE Carlos Dunlap*, Florida
41. Buffalo - DE Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
42. Tampa Bay (from CHI) - DE Greg Romeus*, Pittsburgh
43. New England (from JAX) - DE/OLB Ricky Sapp, Clemson
44. Miami - WR Arrelious Benn*, Illinois
45. San Francisco - DE/OLB Eric Norwood, South Carolina
46. Denver - TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
47. N.Y. Giants - RB Ryan Mathews*, Fresno St.
48. New England (from TEN) - TE Aaron Hernandez*, Florida

49. Carolina - DT Jared Odrick, Penn St.
- The Panthers have a few different needs (QB, DE, WR), but they opt to bulk up in the middle of the D-Line.
50. Pittsburgh - S Nate Allen, South Florida
51. Houston - OG Mike Johnson, Alabama
52. Kansas City (from ATL) - OT Joseph Barksdale, LSU
53. Cincinnati - S Reshad Jones*, Georgia
54. New England - QB Tim Tebow, New England
55. Green Bay - DE/OLB George Selvie, South Florida
56. Philadelphia - RB Toby Gerhart*, Stanford
57. Baltimore - OL Maurkice Pouncey*, Florida
58. Arizona - QB Tony Pike, Cincinnati
59. Dallas - OT Jason Fox, Miami (FL)
60. San Diego - DE/DT Tyson Alualu, California
61. N.Y. Jets - WR Marshawn Gilyard, Cincinnati
62. Minnesota - CB Donovan Warren*, Michigan
63. New Orleans - DT Vince Oghobaase, Duke
64. Indianapolis - OT/OG Vladimir Ducasse, Massachusetts

Such as? I figure WR is one of their biggest needs. Safety? What other position(s) do they need?

Safety or O-line. I just think WRs can be so hit-or-miss that a first rounder could be used better. I would not be opposed to a RB if Best or Dwyer are on the board since Benson is good, but carrying a load like he did is tough. Also, USC WRs do not have a great track record.

The Bengals need a WR more than those two spots. Especially with the depth at Safety, no need to go that route in the 1st round.

I don't think there is enough value there for WR there. IMO Mardy Gilliard with the second rounder would be better value and take the best player available in the first. Golden Tate is iffy to me and I just hate USC WRs. Damian Williams is not that big of a talent in my eyes.

Safety or O-line. I just think WRs can be so hit-or-miss that a first rounder could be used better. I would not be opposed to a RB if Best or Dwyer are on the board since Benson is good, but carrying a load like he did is tough. Also, USC WRs do not have a great track record.
To be fair, Williams did start his college career at Arkansas. :p

I don't think there is enough value there for WR there. IMO Mardy Gilliard with the second rounder would be better value and take the best player available in the first. Golden Tate is iffy to me and I just hate USC WRs. Damian Williams is not that big of a talent in my eyes.

The thing is, you are not just adding a regular piece for the offense. You are replacing Chad Ochocinco with this pick down the line. Gilyard doesn't profile as a #1 to me. Not yet at least. Williams and Tate have an outside shot to have that type of impact. You have to take that shot, even if you look like fools later on.

oh my dear sweet Lord Jesus... A QB 6th and a RB 14th? Spiller will get killed behind our o-line and Claussen may not get alot to time before Hasselbeck gets carted off the field...

To be fair, Williams did start his college career at Arkansas. :p

Why don't we just draft Mitch Mustain then if I wanted a failes Razorback at USC. I guess he does not have SEC speed.

The thing is, you are not just adding a regular piece for the offense. You are replacing Chad Ochocinco with this pick down the line. Gilyard doesn't profile as a #1 to me. Not yet at least. Williams and Tate have an outside shot to have that type of impact. You have to take that shot, even if you look like fools later on.

Gilyard could be like a Desean Jackson though. I think his playmaking ability would be pretty good, even not as a true number 1. If I had to pick it would be Tate, but we wasted a pick on Jerome Simpson already so WR is not up there on my list since it is a high failure rate position.

Gilyard could be like a Desean Jackson though. I think his playmaking ability would be pretty good, even not as a true number 1. If I had to pick it would be Tate, but we wasted a pick on Jerome Simpson already so WR is not up there on my list since it is a high failure rate position.
Gilyard is a good kickoff returner, but he doesn't have near the speed/playmaking ability Jackson does. That doesn't mean he isn't a potential playmaker, but Jackson is in a league of his own.

Simpson was quite the questionable pick. With Tate and Williams, they both went to big-time schools and played in pro-style offenses, so they already have a leg up on Simpson.

Ok, must focus and make comments. :LOL:

-Rob Gronkowski will be picked in the 2nd round. Rob sounded way too confident as his press conference to not know something was in the works, lol. I'm completely biased on this one. Probably by KC, Arizona or Baltimore. I'm replacing Todd Heap every year I can, if you haven't noticed by now.

-Good picks for Buffalo, they need to make news somehow. Bradford will be on IR by week 8 with their o-line being unaddressed though. That line really needs some work on the edges.

-Spikes will fit in great with those other hot-heads on the Cardinal D.

-I'd rather have Bulaga at that 49ers pick. I'm confident he could play RT at a high level in the pro's. I assume the Haden pick allows the 49ers to either push Clements to Safety as he slows down with age. Another pass rusher is fine with me, make Haralson earn his check.

-San Diego probably needs a RB. But we both know that AJ Smith doesn't care about that, and loves to ruin logical mock drafts.

-Seattle is playing with fire with that strategy, as was indicated above. However, if you want new faces all around, that's the way to go (Head Coach, QB, RB, etc.). Wouldn't shock me to see Seattle hit FA for a RB to complement Forsett, and spend another pick on line-play (either side of the ball). I figure J. Jones is gone with the uncapped year, and they can pay a guy like Lendale White money that Tennessee won't want to match. Restricted free agents are tricky though.

-Best to STL? BPA pick here instead of a guy like Tate in your scenario?

-Biggest movers look to be Griffen, Price, Chad Jones, and Burnett. All need position picks, and for the most part, strong athletes that could rip up the combine. Good choices.

Will look over some other stuff in a sec here.

Back