Earned my first bad feedback... errrr

With $2.99 S&H, Is a PWE worth a negative or neutral if the card arrives safely?

• Yes - PWEs are the devil. You should have known better.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No - You met the terms of the listing and the buyer got the card for a good price.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Yes - You should have disclosed that you were going to ship PWE

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No - Buyers factor in S&H w/ total price in mind. You can't get that card for $1.34 at a store.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CommodoreCountry

Bench Warmer
So maybe I deserve the neutral, maybe not... As you all may know, I listed about 150 auctions last week mostly starting at .10 or .25 - My intention was basically to make about $1.00 off the 2.99 shipping and handling charges - as many people do.

A friend of mine had told me he was now shipping in PWE for these low priced cards because if someone filed a chargeback or damaged, it was more profitable in the long run to save $.75 to $1.00 on each transaction and risk giving back the $3.25 to someone that had a problem. He said maybe 1 in 100 report a damaged card.

With that said, I shipped a guy a Leon Hall Auto /200 that books $12 in a taped toploader inside a PWE. :ban: He won it for $1.34 and with shipping it cost him $4.33 (35% of book). I shipped it to him and he got it just fine no bends or damage, but he was pissed that I shipped PWE. We went round and round through email about how I would gladly refund him if the card was damaged. He called me through email a liar and a cheat and threatened negative feedback if I didn't give him a $2.50 refund. (Feedback Extortion - a TOS violation). He left me a neutral.

He was so rude in his email, that I decided to pick up the phone and call him about it. He was shocked to hear from me, but I tactfully ... yet with the force of a Marine told him to pound sand. :lollol: (In a nice way.)

I feel like he shouldn't have left a negative or neutral feedback because the terms of the contract (Receipt of an undamaged Leon Hall Autograph) were met. I asked him what it really mattered to him if I put it in a bubble mailer. He said it did matter to him and he wouldn't have felt cheated - I asked him if he planned on displaying the bubble mailer or adding it to his collection. :roflmao:

Anyway, I want to know - was I wrong?

2 things you can do to make a little on shipping are -

1. Buy your bubble mailers in bulk, I have a 250 box inbound for about .11 cents each -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350132707525&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=022

2. Switch to Pay-Pal shipping, for a single lightweight card in a Penny sleve, Top Loader, Team bag & bubble mailer it costs $1.59, with DC included.

That just over $1.70 cost for shipping, I don't have to go to the post office & it covers listing fees and sales fees if the card sell for the usual minimum I start auctions at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I typically do as Bud described. I had never done the PWE until this past week. I just thought I could save an extra .60 or so... with these tight times, i'm looking for any savings I can.

My ebay name is snagger6, but don't block me, I'm not a bad guy. I've got 100% positive since 1999. It was just this time.

i agree with brian and dustin...i charge $3 on singles that go out in bulk bubble, but i go to post office so i pay $2.09, figure my bubbles were like $0.15 each, new toploader penny sleeve at $0.07 im at $2.41, paypal fees on $3 is right around $0.41, so i get about $0.18...

personally i think the buyer is right in this case, if you were charging $1 or $1.50 i would expect it, but at $2.99 im looking for a bubble or refund of shipping charges...

i know its 'shipping' and 'handling' but $3 should be bubble...

as far as the feedback extortion, you can forward the emails to ebay and hope that they will remove the feedback, but i wouldnt hold your breath, as they didnt overturn any of the 3 negs ive gotten as a buyer...all retaliation, but ill be willing to bet ive left at least 20 negs in my 6 yeras on ebay for d-bags...would have been more, but you cant hit NPBs with them anymore :wall:

I get real pissed off if I receive a PWE... I would probably demand a refund as well, probably not $2.50 of your $2.99. But I understand that sellers (and myself) figure the eBay listing fees and ending fees in there as well, so I would probably would want around $1.50-$2.00 back.

At the very least you should have stated how you were going to ship in your auction.

Yeah, I feel like a dirtbag. I guess I didn't think it would be such a big deal, but I will switch back to the bubble mailers. This was only a trial run and it flopped - despite saving me some money.

Me personally (and not just because I'm involved in a PWE situation) couldn't care if a card came in a PWE or in a straw-filled wooden packing crate (Think the Leg Lamp in The Christmas Story ... lol) as long as it arrives undamaged. If it came by carrier pigeon I would not mind as long as I got the card for a fair total price.

All i can say is if you pay 2.00 or more for shipping you expect bubble mailer. I don't care if a card comes in a PWE if its safe. But remember these PWE go through a sorter that tend to bend the cards.

I'm with you man....if the card arrives undamaged and unharmed i could give two poops how it was shipped....yeah it ticks me off sometimes....but for real...he paid $3 for an auto card....it's not like you shipped an exquisite 1/1 in there....take this as a lesson learned and move on....don't refund any money

For that P+P I think bubble is expected. I always appreciate sellers informing in the auction as to whether they ship in bubble/PWE. I would alway pay extra for bubble. Not worth the hassle with risk of PWE.

I charge $2.75 shipping on the stuff I sell on ebay. I always use a bubble mailer and use paypal to print up the shipping label (1 card usually cost $1.52 to ship in bubble mailer). For $2.99 I'd expect the seller to use a top loader, bubble mailer, and a DC#.

Back