Where do you store, protect, and display your cards?

bigteeth96

Bench Warmer
It would be a shame to have a leak in the house or rampant dog ruin a large collection. How do you store, protect, and display your cards?

I have mine in a zip up trapper keeper. I keep that in a hidden spot under my bed. ;) When my friends want to see it, I am SUPER careful.

I have all my autographed cards in a large waterproof, fireproof safe. All my game used, and good rookie cards are in 2 smaller version safes. Everything else worthy of a top loader, and penny sleeve are stored in dozens of shoe boxes. I also have a couple dozen, or more complete sets in binders, and Ultra Pro 9 slot sleeves, and tons of different sized shoe boxes full of completed sets.

A lot of ways:

I have zip-up binders for some stuff, like my Star Trek TNG Season cards (they designed their cards to be displayed in 9-page pockets for binders), I have standard-sized card boxes for my rookies and other cards that are in soft-sleeves, I have two different sized plastic storage boxes for my "star" cards or non-common cards, and I made cardboard boxes specifically for commons, autos (in soft-sleeves, top-loaders, and team set bags), relics (same as autos), and special cards (same as autos).

In other words, a LOT of ways. :D

I have all of my cards in plastic covers, then in binders, then in a safe. Almost all of the cards are worth lots of money or are very important to me so I actually stash the safe within another safe. It's a big safe to say the least.

I have all of my cards in plastic covers, then in binders, then in a safe. Almost all of the cards are worth lots of money or are very important to me so I actually stash the safe within another safe. It's a big safe to say the least.

Haha wait, so you literally have a smaller safe sitting inside of a larger safe? Is this common practice or something you decided you wanted to do for increased security?

I mean, this can't possibly be conventional?

It would be a shame to have a leak in the house or rampant dog ruin a large collection. How do you store, protect, and display your cards?

I have mine in a zip up trapper keeper. I keep that in a hidden spot under my bed. ;) When my friends want to see it, I am SUPER careful.
Mine are sitting right here next to me at my desk. They are in the pages; maybe I'm not as careful as I might be?

I use binders and boxes.
I believe I have nothing valuable but I still want to keep them around; still like Michael Jordan. Plus they were a gift from my son one birthday because he has fallen out of love with MJ.

You are careful! I wish I had something to care for like that besides my kids! I have had nothing of value my whole life---that's shitty!

Haha wait, so you literally have a smaller safe sitting inside of a larger safe? Is this common practice or something you decided you wanted to do for increased security?

I mean, this can't possibly be conventional?
Can you say you are a bit obsessive or am I reading you wrong or is it none of my bees wax at all? I too find it a bit weird. What does your spouse think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you say you are a bit obsessive or am I reading you wrong or is it none of my bees wax at all? I too find it a bit weird. What does your spouse think?
I'm not the one who's storing a safe within a safe. That'd be @pojokers - but yeah it's definitely something that's a little more than the average person would do I think. I mean, just a safe itself can get pretty expensive, much less two of them!

I keep my cards in a safe. The really important ones are all behind plastic, in binders. I don't take them out unless I absolutely have to do so. Even when I do remove them from the safe, I always keep them behind the protecting plastic. Removing them from the plastic always poses such a great risk, that corners may become bent, and that humidity may get under the plastic as well.

I'm not the one who's storing a safe within a safe. That'd be @pojokers - but yeah it's definitely something that's a little more than the average person would do I think. I mean, just a safe itself can get pretty expensive, much less two of them!
Entirely logical to do what you must to feel comfortable with your arrangement, right? I am not that careful becasue if the house goes up in flames, it will not be Michael Jordan I will save! It will be photographs of my children.

Entirely logical to do what you must to feel comfortable with your arrangement, right? I am not that careful becasue if the house goes up in flames, it will not be Michael Jordan I will save! It will be photographs of my children.
Good call. Though if you have a fire proof safe... why wouldn't you have your family pictures in there instead of your cards? Rather, why not both?

Another thing, as I'm relatively young, I don't have a ton of physical photos. Most of my pictures are digital so I guess my external hard drive is what I need to be careful with, lest it gets corrupted, lost or stolen.

HA it's funny that my methods have caused such a stir. Sure, it seems a little obsessive but I actually only do it for organizational reasons. The big safe that I have has two shelves and the smaller safe that I have happens to fit on the bottom shelf perfectly. I don't know, it just looks more neat with it tucked in there then a loose beat up binder. All my other valuables fit on the two upper levels comfortably. So that's my explanation, I guess you guys can call me out on my obsessive organization I suppose.

HA it's funny that my methods have caused such a stir. Sure, it seems a little obsessive but I actually only do it for organizational reasons. The big safe that I have has two shelves and the smaller safe that I have happens to fit on the bottom shelf perfectly. I don't know, it just looks more neat with it tucked in there then a loose beat up binder. All my other valuables fit on the two upper levels comfortably. So that's my explanation, I guess you guys can call me out on my obsessive organization I suppose.
It's just an interesting set up that seems kind of unconventional. Any chance you could snap a pic of the safes?

Back