Wanting To Do a Vintage Baseball Set…Thoughts?

So, after some long and hard thought...I have decided to do a 1957 Topps set. I decided to work on this set because I think it best fits my "criteria" for an ideal vintage set. Here is what I like about it:

1. 1957 is the first standard sized Topps set and the first without enhanced photos.
2. Several teams exist in other cities (Brooklyn Dodgers, NY Gaints, Milwaukee Braves, KC Athletics, Washington Senators)...more than any other standard sized set. Plus, the Reds use their anti-communist alternate "Redlegs" name
3. Classic, yet simple vertical design
4. Great collection of players...including examples of many stars of the 50s and 60s early in their career (Mantle, Mays, Koufax, Clemente, F Robinson, B Robinson, ect)
5. My favorite team, the Braves, won the World Series in 1957 so this set best illustrates that team.
6. At 407 cards it is a smaller sized set and there are really no varieties or ERR/COR versions.

The negative things I came up with:
No Rogers Maris
Hank Aaron un-corrected error

1963 was the runner up...but I think 1957 is a better example of what I am looking for at this time. I think once the 1957 set is done, I will work on a 1963.

Hi, I member at Cointalk as well, although not a frequent poster.

I am curious as to how you put together your vintage sets? Do you buy bulk commons on E-bay or similar to start or do you work one card at a time?

I had another question about the 1952 baseball set. Do you hope to secure an investment grade Mantle someday or would you be happy with a very low grade yet still very expensive one.

I ask because I have recently considered working on a 1935 National Chicle Football set, but I am not sure how I feel about the possibility of not completing it because of Bronco Nagurski.

That sounds like a neat set to work on @gipper1985

I'm guessing you'll need to pick those up one at a time, unless you get lucky and someone's selling a set all at once.

With sets of that vintage I start to get concerned about fakes, especially when you're buying site unseen like on eBay. And there do seem to be lots of reprints listed.

Hi, I member at Cointalk as well, although not a frequent poster.

I am curious as to how you put together your vintage sets? Do you buy bulk commons on E-bay or similar to start or do you work one card at a time?

I had another question about the 1952 baseball set. Do you hope to secure an investment grade Mantle someday or would you be happy with a very low grade yet still very expensive one.

I ask because I have recently considered working on a 1935 National Chicle Football set, but I am not sure how I feel about the possibility of not completing it because of Bronco Nagurski.
I build my sets in a couple ways. If I can purchase a "starter" lot to seed a set at the beginning...I will sometimes, but only if the price is right. Often I find that these lots are someone else's cast offs. Normally, I will try and build each set one by one looking for cards that fit my criteria. It costs more that way, but I get a better result in the end. I do some of my buying on eBay, COMC as well as net54baseball.com. I also have a few other smaller sources I use.

As for the 1952 Mantle...I do plan on getting one. Right now my 1952 set is all PSA4-6. For the moment, I am saving for a PSA2 Mantle ($7-8K) right now. Maybe I will upgrade long term, but a PSA2 is the current goal. I have about $2000 saved. I'm also going to be very picky and find one I like and I'm only going to buy a Type A.

That sounds like a neat set to work on @gipper1985

I'm guessing you'll need to pick those up one at a time, unless you get lucky and someone's selling a set all at once.

With sets of that vintage I start to get concerned about fakes, especially when you're buying site unseen like on eBay. And there do seem to be lots of reprints listed.

It will need to be one at a time and it will most likely be only low grade PSA examples. Hopefully that will minimize the risks, but I know that nothing is full proof. I have always liked the look of these cards especially after Topps did the 2010 set.

I am still in the education stage and I will probably watch prices for while until actually jumping in.

This will be a major change for me since I currently do not own any graded cards.

It will need to be one at a time and it will most likely be only low grade PSA examples. Hopefully that will minimize the risks, but I know that nothing is full proof. I have always liked the look of these cards especially after Topps did the 2010 set.

I am still in the education stage and I will probably watch prices for while until actually jumping in.

This will be a major change for me since I currently do not own any graded cards.
That is a sweet set...and one I have always been interested in too. However, I doubt I will ever get to it (I think I will do a 1965 Topps set if I want to attempt a major football project).

Keep us updated! I'm looking forward to seeing your collection as you build it. :)

That is a sweet set...and one I have always been interested in too. However, I doubt I will ever get to it (I think I will do a 1965 Topps set if I want to attempt a major football project).

The set has been in the back of mind for a while, but it seemed somewhat unrealistic. I think reading that you were doing the 1952 baseball set was the final inspiration I needed. Most of the early Topps baseball sets are intimidating to me, especially because of Mantle.

I am currently in the process of putting together as many of the "3-ring binder grade" Topps football sets as I can from 1967 to present. I have a pretty good start on that and will be working backwards to 1956 as well. Most of that seems attainable. I think the National Chicle set will be fun to do, though it will likely take several years due to the cost and availability of some of the cards.

Are you focusing on football, baseball or both? Not too long ago I finished a complete 1967 Topps football set in a three ring binder. For whatever reason, that set really jumped out to me when I was a kid...so later on I decided to build one.

With the big sets...like the 1952 Topps, the trick is just being patient. My set is still very small, but I slowly look for the cards that fit what I want. I'm focusing on centering mostly. All the cards I have are commons except I have 1 hall of famer (Richie Ashburn). I don't have any of the high numbers yet. But, I am working within my current budget and I know as I get older and my income improves...so will my budget. I am saving for the Mantle already.

I know the 1952 set will probably take decades to finish and I am OK with that.

I meant to say 1969 football to present. The 1967 is an interesting design though, but I like all of the Topps football designs except 1990, 1991 and oddly 1978. Football cards were cheap compared to baseball while I was growing up so I focused on that. I am currently organizing thousands of football cards I have purchased over the years.

I did and do collect New York Yankees, especially Don Mattingly, but the all time Yankee greats were always out of my price range. I have the typical glut of stuff from the mid-1980's to the 1990's in both baseball and football but have finally purged most of the commons and kept only my favorite players and teams. Slowly but surely I am getting everything organized and cataloged. I really like the Beckett organizer, do you use it?

Also, why the affinity for Mantle, when the Yankees are not your team?

Back