Wanting To Do a Vintage Baseball Set…Thoughts?

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
I am currently working on a graded 1952 Topps set and I know it will be a life-long project. I would like to find a vintage baseball set to work on that will still be challenging, but one that I can complete of the next several years. I have put together a list of criteria I want the set to have and am trying to decide what set to attempt…I think I know what I want to do, but I would love an outside opinion or two.

Please just don’t respond with the generic yet useless “collect what you like” answer. That’s not what I am looking for. I am looking for opinions about some sets that I perhaps hadn’t considered…I want to make sure that this decision is well thought out.

So, here are the “criteria” that come to mind:

1. Standard Size Cards (I want to do a raw set in 9 card pages in an album).
2. Want a Set with as many stars as possible (Mantle is a must)
3. "Obsolete” Locations for as many teams as possible (Milwaukee Braves are a must)
4. Vertical Card Design (for majority of set)
5. Esthetic Designs

Based on the first 2 criteria, the set must be 1957-1969. The last set to feature the Braves (my favorite team) in Milwaukee was 1965…so I can cut it down to 1957-1965. The earlier, the more obsolete teams locations there are…so from that point of view earlier is better. This is especially true as only 1957 have the Dodgers and Giants in New York. The 1957-59 sets also refer to the Reds by their anti-communist “Redlegs” name.

I prefer cards with vertical design because they look better (in my opinion) in 9 card pages in a book…so that rules out 1960. 1960 is a fine set, but I just don’t care for the horizontal design.

The only years from 57-65 where I really don’t care for the set esthetics are 1962 and 1964. So, I think I would remove those too.

That leaves: 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1963, and 1965.

To me, each has merits and downsides. For instance, I really like 1957 having a lot of teams in different cities (Brooklyn Dodgers, NY Giants, ect) and I also like it being the first standard sized Topps set. Another nice part is I already own the Mantle. On the down side, the design is a little plain (although I do like it) and there is no Roger Maris. The Hank Aaron also has that ugly error.

Another example is the 1963 set. I love the design and the white card stock…but the rookie cards and LL cards are hideous and I just can imagine paying the price tag for the Pete Rose RC when it is so ugly.

Each set has pros and cons. To be honest, I am leaning towards the 1957 set…but I’m not 100% sure. I would love to hear other collector’s opinions about these different sets…both pros and cons and help me make sure I have considered all angles before I dive in.

Hey... collect what you want! (had to say it...sorry!)... but if this was me... and I have put some thought into it... I would go with the year I was born "1957".

Can you imagine... having a complete set from the year you were born... something for me to think about over the next few years...

Hey... collect what you want! (had to say it...sorry!)... but if this was me... and I have put some thought into it... I would go with the year I was born "1957".

Can you imagine... having a complete set from the year you were born... something for me to think about over the next few years...
I have a complete football set from my birth year...1985! I have both the 1985 Topps and 1985 Topps USFL sets, lol. Different price point with those though.

I am actually leaning towards 1957...I just wanted some opinions about the merits of the sets from these years.

Based on your criteria, I'd think the 1957 set would be more satisfying to you.
The more I think about...the more I think this the right set. The only issue I have with it is that backwards Aaron...it bugs me. But, that's how it was made...lol.

It's also a "smaller" set totaling only 407 cards.

I think my 2 favorites are 1957 and 1963. I'll start with a 1957 and maybe do a 1963 someday.

So, what do you figure the total cost of the set is going to run? What condition are you going to aim for?

So, what do you figure the total cost of the set is going to run? What condition are you going to aim for?
You know, I haven't priced it out...but probably a few thousand. I plan on spending a few years building it. I already have the Mantle, a PSA 4 and I think I paid $260 or so for it. I think I'm going to shoot for the VG-EX range and focus more on centering than on condition. There are a few "bigger" cards in the set. Outside the Mantle's other big rookies include: Don Drysdale, Bill Mazerowski, Frank Robinson and Brooks Robinson (among others). It also has early career cards of Mays, Mantle, and Aaron plus other major stars.

So are you going to crack that Mantle out of the slab for your album?
LOL, no. I will probably use a reprint for the album, probably a 1996 Topps reprint. I figure I will get the higher end cards slabbed and put reprints in their place in the album or copies on photo paper.

great idea... using reprints!
I think it's more "fun" to have the stars in the album...in the spot where they were produced. Thanks to Topps archives and the Mantle reprints, it is possible for a lot of the cards. But...my "rule" will be I must have the original in my collection before I can put the reprint in the album.

Back