"Toughest jobs in sports: Baseball card shop owner"

Our LCS has been going down hill for years. His customer base is so poor that when a new product comes out he only orders one or two boxes per product... and some products get completely overlooked and not ordered. Due to this, his prices are extremely high... a box of A&G that will sell for $100-$125 will have a price tag of $150-plus. NASCAR boxes that go for $90 will have a price tag of $125-plus.

Every (yes... EVERY) Friday and Saturday the LCS has a "Magic" tournament. This all but kills the Saturday afternoons where many of us use to hang out at the LCS and talk about our collections and watch box breaks.

And it's sad to say, but Card Shows are becoming the same way.

It seems to me that kids now are buying up the Magic cards in the same way we used to buy baseball or other sports cards when we were kids. I think that's a big part of the problem with the local shops, but they can absolutely leverage it in the way your local shop has to continue bringing in customers.

My son is always asking us to get him more Magic cards, but he never wants to go to a card shop (even when I offer to take him). He'll see some at Target and ask for a box then, or look on eBay and ask me to get him some cards then. I don't know why he's not interested in going in the shops. I took him to a couple of tournaments at the shops but he said he felt out of place because most of the people there were older, in their 20s (my son is 12).

I think another part of what's causing shops to struggle financially is the Internet. For better or worse, it's just easier and cheaper to do business online. I complain a lot about how much I have to spend on servers to keep my sites running, but if someone's running an ecommerce shop it's even less expensive. Even so, my server bill is a fraction of what a shop will pay in rent. And that doesn't even get into the inventory you need to keep in a shop compared to online where you can have a much higher turnover.

Anyway, the obvious truth is that shops need to evolve or they're not going to survive in the long run. They need to do what will get warm bodies in the door, whether that means Magic tournaments or whatever else.

It seems to me that kids now are buying up the Magic cards in the same way we used to buy baseball or other sports cards when we were kids. I think that's a big part of the problem with the local shops, but they can absolutely leverage it in the way your local shop has to continue bringing in customers.

My son is always asking us to get him more Magic cards, but he never wants to go to a card shop (even when I offer to take him). He'll see some at Target and ask for a box then, or look on eBay and ask me to get him some cards then. I don't know why he's not interested in going in the shops. I took him to a couple of tournaments at the shops but he said he felt out of place because most of the people there were older, in their 20s (my son is 12).

I think another part of what's causing shops to struggle financially is the Internet. For better or worse, it's just easier and cheaper to do business online. I complain a lot about how much I have to spend on servers to keep my sites running, but if someone's running an ecommerce shop it's even less expensive. Even so, my server bill is a fraction of what a shop will pay in rent. And that doesn't even get into the inventory you need to keep in a shop compared to online where you can have a much higher turnover.

Anyway, the obvious truth is that shops need to evolve or they're not going to survive in the long run. They need to do what will get warm bodies in the door, whether that means Magic tournaments or whatever else.
I think you really hit the nail on the head here...the internet is killing the local shops. I think everything has happened at the absolute wrong time for the card shops.

It seems to be, this started in the later 1990s when prices started to plummet and some companies went out of business (Pinnacle/Score I remember being the first and then Fleer). I know a lot of shops in my area were hurt when they lost a bunch of money when those companies went under.

At the same time, the internet began to sore which made it far easier and cheaper to get cards you want. Suddenly, you didn't have the rely on the inventory your local shops had...you could simple go online and find anything you needed. I think this has really removed the "need" for the card shop as the "middle man." Their overhead costs (rent, staff wages, ect.) necessitate higher prices that consumers don't need to pay with the ease of online buying.

I know the "experience" of going to the shop is something the internet can't replace...but with the costs being so much higher, people are getting over that.

I really believe these shops are getting bludgeoned to death from all directions.

Back