Another Weird One

Mealticket

Bench Warmer
Folks - opening some more old boxes in dusty closets and I finally found a few stray Kellogg's 3D cards and some Topps super cards but they're really beat up. especially the Super cards. Better news was that I found my complete Fleer sets which I bought new, and put in albums/sleeves for 4 years in a row, '83-86. No point thinking about selling those; from what I see, they have not appreciated in value at all. Looks like the '84 update would have been the one to have, but I don't have that.

More trivia. Again, maybe common knowledge, but I didn't know about it for over 20 years, so here goes; on July 4th 2000, the Cardinals were putting a 13-3 beating on the Reds in the 8th, and they sent up a catcher named Keith McDonald to pinch-hit for Edgar Renteria. It was his first MLB at-bat, and he homered off a guy named Andy Larkin. Larkin finished his career 3-11, 8.86. Then, 2 days later, McDonald started behind the plate, and in his 2nd MLB at-bat, he homered off of Osvaldo Fernandez...apparently he added a bases-loaded walk later, but he was retired a couple of times so no more streak. The Reds won that game 12-6. Hmm....Then on July 15, the Cardinals played another wild game, this time with the White Sox, who won 15-7. In that game, McDonald pinch-hit for Mike Matheny in the 9th, and hit another jack, a 2-run job off of lefty Jesus Pena (career 2-1, 5.21). He went 0-1 the next day, and ended the year 3-7 with 3 HRs and 5 RBIs. But he only got a late-season call up in 2001, going 0-2. And that was the sum total of Keith McDonald's major league career. 3-9, all three hits big flys.

MT

Folks - opening some more old boxes in dusty closets and I finally found a few stray Kellogg's 3D cards and some Topps super cards but they're really beat up. especially the Super cards. Better news was that I found my complete Fleer sets which I bought new, and put in albums/sleeves for 4 years in a row, '83-86. No point thinking about selling those; from what I see, they have not appreciated in value at all. Looks like the '84 update would have been the one to have, but I don't have that.

More trivia. Again, maybe common knowledge, but I didn't know about it for over 20 years, so here goes; on July 4th 2000, the Cardinals were putting a 13-3 beating on the Reds in the 8th, and they sent up a catcher named Keith McDonald to pinch-hit for Edgar Renteria. It was his first MLB at-bat, and he homered off a guy named Andy Larkin. Larkin finished his career 3-11, 8.86. Then, 2 days later, McDonald started behind the plate, and in his 2nd MLB at-bat, he homered off of Osvaldo Fernandez...apparently he added a bases-loaded walk later, but he was retired a couple of times so no more streak. The Reds won that game 12-6. Hmm....Then on July 15, the Cardinals played another wild game, this time with the White Sox, who won 15-7. In that game, McDonald pinch-hit for Mike Matheny in the 9th, and hit another jack, a 2-run job off of lefty Jesus Pena (career 2-1, 5.21). He went 0-1 the next day, and ended the year 3-7 with 3 HRs and 5 RBIs. But he only got a late-season call up in 2001, going 0-2. And that was the sum total of Keith McDonald's major league career. 3-9, all three hits big flys.

MT
Cool trivia thanks for sharing! :)

Back