Football Titans owner gives Young vote of confidence

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young received a vote of confidence from the team's owner after a solid performance in a 27-20 preseason win over Tampa Bay on Saturday.

Asked if there is a scenario where Young isn't part of the 2009 Titans, Bud Adams said: "He's under contract, he's not going anywhere but right here and he's our future quarterback.

Adams continuned by saying starter Kerry Collins is "a great quarterback" but "he's got some age on him."

"Vince is a young guy and he can be a great quarterback before he gets through with his NFL career," Adams said.

Following Collins, Young completed 9 of 14 passes for 131 yards including a 37-yard touchdown pass to the Titans first-round draft pick, Kenny Britt, who was wide open thanks to busted coverage.

Young shifted forward in the pocket away from pressure but had his head down field and spotted Britt waving.

"That's one thing coach [Mike] Heimderinger's been telling me," Young said. "Use your legs and keep the ball alive and keep your eyes down field, and that's basically what I did. I seen the free safety relaxed and didn't get to his area where he was supposed to be at in cover-2 and Kenny, he adjusted his route to a go-route like he's supposed to.

"I just want to continue to get better, it's not all about me& a lot of the guys made a lot of plays today."

Young was offensive rookie of the year in 2006 and led the Titans to the playoffs in 2007, but lost the starting job to Collins at the start of the 2008 season when he asked out of the team's opener after being booed at LP Field.

Collins led the team to a 13-3 record, best in the league, but Tennessee lost in the first round of the playoffs.

This preseason stacked up to be more about whether Young would hold off Patrick Ramsey for the backup job than whether he could take back the starting job from Collins, who got a new two-year contract and is entrenched at No. 1.

Young is due a $4.25 million roster bonus in 2010 when his salary cap number is slated to be $14.21 million.

"This guy has a tremendous future in football," Adams said. "Now he was having problems in 2008, I'm not going to discuss that, but it wasn't his fault, it was all the family people were after him. But he had his mind off of football, he was with the family. He's a great family man, he's looked after them, bought them houses, cars and you name it, everything else.

"He's just a great guy and I think he'll become a very top quarterback for us down the road. Tonight I was really proud of him because he did a magnificent job."

No no no thank you for sharing for thanking me for sharing for thanking you for sharing for thanking my original sharing.

thanks72-6.jpg

Back