The Gone But Not Forgotten Thread

Léon Gautier passed today at age 100, he was a soldier and the last living French survivor of the D-Day Normandy landings.

1280px-Gautier.jpg

Vince Tobin passed at age 79. I remember him from his years as the Bears' DC.

dsvagg.jpg

Two notable musicians passed, Randy Meisner, founding member of the Eagles, at age 77, and Sinead O'Connor at age 56.

Tony Bennett died at age 96. Winner of 20 Grammy Awards and 2 Emmy Awards, a truly accomplished singer!

Tony-Bennett.jpg

Johnny Lujack passed away at age 98, a Notre Dame legend who served during WWII, and then returned home to win the 1947 Heisman Trophy! He also played for the Bears in the late 40s before an injury cut his career short. A great player, and a prolific autograph signer for decades....may he rest in peace.
DETCBSFKP5HZPHAFFP2EX54HIM.jpg

Johnny Lujack passed away at age 98, a Notre Dame legend who served during WWII, and then returned home to win the 1947 Heisman Trophy! He also played for the Bears in the late 40s before an injury cut his career short. A great player, and a prolific autograph signer for decades....may he rest in peace.
View attachment 13503
Another one of the great QBs from western Pennsylvania (Connellsville).

Another one of the great QBs from western Pennsylvania (Connellsville).
Yes! I knew there were several, but was amazed to read this on the Steelers website:

"Of the 23 quarterbacks currently in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an amazing six of them have their roots right in Western Pa. - George Blanda (Youngwood, Pa.), Johnny Unitas (Pittsburgh), Joe Namath (Beaver Falls, Pa.), Joe Montana (New Eagle, Pa.), Dan Marino (Pittsburgh) and Jim Kelly (Pittsburgh/East Brady, Pa.)."

I know Stan Musial and Ken Griffey Sr. are from Donora, PA as well....a sports state if ever there was one!!

Yes! I knew there were several, but was amazed to read this on the Steelers website:

"Of the 23 quarterbacks currently in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an amazing six of them have their roots right in Western Pa. - George Blanda (Youngwood, Pa.), Johnny Unitas (Pittsburgh), Joe Namath (Beaver Falls, Pa.), Joe Montana (New Eagle, Pa.), Dan Marino (Pittsburgh) and Jim Kelly (Pittsburgh/East Brady, Pa.)."

I know Stan Musial and Ken Griffey Sr. are from Donora, PA as well....a sports state if ever there was one!!
Pete Maravich, Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, all from Aliquippa, PA, north of Pittsburgh.

Bobby Morgan passed away June 1st at age 96, one of the now-six original Boys of Brooklyn left. His family had preferred no announcement be made, so news of his passing just broke yesterday.

592__17905.jpg

His passing leaves these original Brooklyn Dodgers:
Carl Erskine, age 96;
Tommy Brown, age 95;
Fred Kipp, age 91;
Jim Gentile, age 89;
Sandy Koufax, age 87;
Bob Aspromonte, age 85.

Last edited:
Back