Baseball Sosa reflects on MLB career

iLikePie

Bench Warmer
By Yoel Adames
ESPNdeportes.com
Archive

SANTO DOMINGO -- Former Chicago Cubs outfielder Sammy Sosa said Wednesday that he will soon announce his formal retirement from baseball and that he will not allow his legacy to be stained by steroid-use accusations.

"Everything I achieved, I did it thanks to my perseverance, which is why I never had any long, difficult moments [as a baseball player]. If you have a bad day in baseball, and start thinking about it, you will have ten more," said Sosa.

Sammy Sosa

Sosa

"I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Don't I have the numbers to be inducted?," said Sosa, who presently serves the Dominican government as Special Ambassador For Investment Opportunities.

Sosa had a total of 609 home runs in his career, including seasons of 66 homers in 1998, 63 in 1999 and 64 in 2001. He last played for the Rangers in 2007, a season he called his most fulfilling, hitting 21 round trippers and batting in 92 runs in only 114 games.

In an interview with ESPNdeportes.com, the Dominican slugger said that he always played the game with love and integrity, and that he would not address allegations of steroid use.

"I always played with love and responsibility and I assure you that I will not answer nor listen to rumors. If anything ugly comes up in the future, we will confront it immediately, but with all our strength because I will not allow anybody to tarnish what I did in the field," said Sosa.

Speaking at a government-sponsored event, Sosa declined to discuss the frequency in which he took drug tests throughout his MLB career. He also noted that sanctions to players who have tested positive for steroid use will not harm the game as there are still quite a number of power hitters who have a clean slate while posting solid batting stats.

"It's all about timing and this is not the moment to discuss that topic [drug tests]. I'm here as an ambassador to my country, trying to find new business opportunities for my people. Perhaps we'll discuss some other time," said Sosa.

"The scandal on steroids and all those suspensions will not overshadow the game. Currently, there are many Latino players performing well [offensively]. There's [Albert] Pujols, Carlos Pena; Nelson Cruz has 15. Then what? There's someone else that already has 22 home runs [Adrian Gonzalez] ... we have hit and will continue to hit homers in the major leagues," added Sosa.

Known as the "Caribbean Bambino" after his home run race in 1998 with Mark McGwire trying to break baseball's season record held by Roger Maris with 60, Sosa expressed sadness in regards to many Dominican players who are facing difficult moments in their careers, singling out Manny Ramirez's 50-game suspension for steroid use.

"Manny's case has been truly hurtful. It hit me but now it's time for Manny to get back on his feet and face the consequences of his actions", said Sosa.

As for the Red Sox first baseman David Ortiz, who is undergoing the worst slump of his career, Sosa was enthusiastic and even offered advice to the slugger, who only has one home run and 18 RBIs this season.

"I saw David very down on himself, he looked very sad during a Minnesota game I was watching. He's got to work on his batting timing. He's approaching the pitch and swinging too fast, too early. He's an easy prey for every pitcher out there", said Sosa.

"He has to focus, but above everything be patient and believe in himself so that he gets his confidence back. As a fellow Dominican, I have been very worried about David."

Regarding pitcher Pedro Martinez, who had a very good showing during the first round of the World Baseball Classic last March, Sosa said he was surprised that no team offered the right hander the money he is worth in the market. He believes Martinez still has some good years left in the game.

"It's weird that he didn't get a good offer after the way he pitched at the WBC. He received some offers but not what he deserved, and Pedro has some baseball still left in his arm," said Sosa.

Back