Baseball Raw cards for submission to beckett via james spence

goingdeepe

Bench Warmer
Need info and help quick

This weekend James Spence will be accepting raw cards for submission to Beckett for grading at a card show in Charlotte, NC

What exactly is this? the cost? is it worth doing?

does anybody have any previos experience doing this?

any feedback would be great

Hey Dave, I have done this a few time at Wes's show in Raleigh. Its worth it, but send any unless you really think its getting a good grade. James Spence will also authenticate any cards that you got personally signed right there that day. I had them authenticate a Walter Payton Auto I got years ago at the airport while traveling in ATL.

Years ago I watched grading being done at a Card Show in the Local Mall. One of those fly-by-night outfits that is no longer around. The guy was putting the cards in a home-made slab (basically it looked like an oversized snap-tite, with a label slapped on the back). My concern was the guy was NOT using gloves of any type and there was a sandwich and a drink sitting on the same table he was "grading" the cards. The cost was $9.95 per card.

MLB.com had a program on last year about Topps and one of the scenes showed grading being done. I believe it was PSA doing the grading. The guy wore white gloves and handled each card as if it was a piece of crystal that might break by just touching it. I would think that the Beckett graders would be the same way?

I've never seen Beckett in action, but yes the "white glove" treatment is one of the ways you can separate the good from the bad. Of course, you can pick up a pair of white gloves for a couple bucks (I've got a stack of them at my desk myself), so even some of the fly-by-night crowd might do that too. If they're doing the slabbing out in the open, maybe you could take a couple of photos to show us when you get back. :)

Back