Football Pats trade Seymour to Raiders

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
The Oakland Raiders took a big step toward improving their struggling run defense by acquiring five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman Richard Seymour from the New England Patriots on Sunday.

The move does not come without its risks as the Raiders gave up a first-round pick in 2011, which could be in the top 10 based on Oakland's recent history, to acquire a lineman who turns 30 next month and is in the final year of a contract paying him $3.685 million this season.

Raiders owner Al Davis wanted immediate help for a defense that has struggled to stop the run in recent seasons. Since going to the Super Bowl following the 2002 season, Oakland has had the worst run defense in the NFL, allowing 141.7 yards per game on the ground and 122 touchdowns rushing. The Raiders have allowed a 100-yard rusher in more than half of their games the past three years.

"It shows the commitment of this organization," defensive end Greg Ellis said. "You can't guarantee we're going to have a great, great season this year. But the commitment is definitely there so players don't have to question that when you're making those kinds of moves to make something happen and hopefully win right now."

Seymour has been a stalwart in New England since being drafted sixth overall in 2001. He played on three Super Bowl winners with the Patriots, recording 39 career sacks and being selected to the Pro Bowl for five straight seasons beginning in 2002.

"From nearly the day he arrived in 2001, Richard Seymour established himself as one of our premier players for nearly a decade," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Sunday. "His presence has been felt as a force on the field, a respected man off it and a multiyear champion."

The move is only the latest as the Patriots continue to get younger on defense.

Linebacker Mike Vrabel was traded to Kansas City in the offseason, safety Rodney Harrison retired, and more recently Tedy Bruschi officially called it a career after 13 seasons. Seymour was the last member of the 2001 Super Bowl championship defense still with New England.

Earlier this summer, Oakland sent two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Derrick Burgess to New England for a pair of mid-round draft picks. The Patriots also acquired receiver Randy Moss from Oakland in 2007 for a fourth-round pick, and the teams have swapped draft picks in recent years.

"Any transaction we make is with the goal of what is best for our team and, as difficult as it is to part ways with a player of Richard's stature, many factors were taken into account when we considered this trade," Belichick said.

"As an organization, we feel the trade with Oakland brings sufficient value and is in the long-term interest of the club," he added. "We are extremely grateful for the huge impact Richard's elite level of performance had on our success and we wish him the very best during the rest of his career."

Seymour goes from a team that has gone 77-19 the past six seasons to one that is an NFL-worst 24-72 over that span. The Raiders became the first team to lose at least 11 games in six straight seasons when Seymour and the Patriots beat them 49-26 last December.

The addition of rookies Myron Pryor and Ron Brace to a defensive line that also includes veterans Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green and Mike Wright made Seymour expendable.

"It's the nature of the business," said veteran running back Kevin Faulk, the longest-serving player on the team after Bruschi's departure. "They have an agenda upstairs, and the coaches decide who comes and goes. You can't do nothing about it."

Faulk said the team will miss the way Seymour carried himself as a person and a player.

"He was a quiet leader," second-year linebacker Jerod Mayo said. "He led by his actions. He'll be dearly missed as a teammate and as a player on the field. But we have players that are ready to step up."

It's not immediately clear if Seymour will play defensive end or tackle for the Raiders, who lack a run-stuffer at end. Greg Ellis and Trevor Scott started during the preseason. Gerard Warren and Tommy Kelly are the tackles, but Kelly has experience at end as well.

The Raiders had the worst run defense in the NFL in the preseason, allowing 192 yards per game. They had hoped to have fixed their problems against the run by bringing in coordinator John Marshall, who put a heavy emphasis on fundamentals.

But after watching the preseason, the Raiders decided they needed an upgrade in personnel as well and made the move for Seymour.

"He brings a lot of versatility to the defense. Plus, I mean, if we can't stop the run now?" defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said. "It definitely upgrades us."

Oakland released defensive tackle William Joseph to make room for Seymour.

In a corresponding move, the Patriots reached agreement Sunday with free-agent guard Kendall Simmons, a source close to the player told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Simmons will fill the roster spot vacated by Seymour.

A former first-round pick of the Steelers, Simmons appeared in four games for Pittsburgh last season. He worked out for New England last week.

Simmons is expected to sign later Sunday.

Seymour hasn't reported to Raiders after trade

Five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman Richard Seymour did not report to the Oakland Raiders on Monday, a day after being acquired in a trade with the New England Patriots.

Raiders coach Tom Cable said after practice that Seymour had to resolve some things with the Patriots before the deal for a first-round pick in 2011 could be finalized.

"We have attempted to make a deal," Cable said Monday. "There are some issues still between him and the Patriots that are being worked out. I'm hoping that that will get resolved as quickly as possible. We know that the player wants to be here, but we have really no control over those issues."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James said he was unaware of any difficulties surrounding the trade, which was announced by New England on Sunday and confirmed by Cable.

Cable did not want to address the issue further Monday, but said Seymour told him he wants to be in Oakland. Cable did not say when Seymour would have to arrive in order to be able to play in the season opener next Monday night against San Diego.

"Just as soon as possible. That's really the only way to answer that right now," he said.

Seymour, who turns 30 next month, is in the final year of a contract that pays him about $3.7 million this season. The deal would send him from a team that has gone 77-19 the past six seasons and is a perennial Super Bowl contender to one that is an NFL-worst 24-72 over that span.

Seymour has been a stalwart in New England since being drafted sixth overall in 2001. He played on three Super Bowl winners with the Patriots, recording 39 career sacks and being selected to the Pro Bowl for five straight seasons beginning in 2002.

The Raiders were looking to upgrade a run defense that was the worst in the league during the exhibition season and has been the worst over the past six seasons. Since going to the Super Bowl following the 2002 season, Oakland has had the worst run defense in the NFL, allowing 141.7 yards per game on the ground and 122 touchdowns rushing. The Raiders have allowed a 100-yard rusher in more than half of their games the past three years.

Seymour not in Oakland for second day in row

Richard Seymour failed to report to Oakland for a second straight day Tuesday after being traded from the New England Patriots.

"I really have nothing to report on that," Raiders coach Tom Cable said. "Nothing has changed at this point."

Seymour, a five-time Pro Bowl defensive end, was acquired from the Patriots on Sunday in exchange for Oakland's first-round draft pick in 2011. The move was on the NFL's official transactions list and Seymour is on the Raiders' roster on their Web site.

Cable said he spoke with Seymour earlier this week and that the defensive lineman told him he wants to play in Oakland.

Cable reiterated that he is hopeful Seymour will play for the Raiders but declined to discuss reports the two sides were in talks on a new contract.

"I don't want to comment about anything of that until we have something that's done and concrete," Cable said.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick also refused to talk about Seymour and the trade during his daily meeting with the media.

"Because we don't have rights to Richard, there really isn't anything I can say about him or his situation," Belichick said Tuesday. "So I'll have to pass on those questions at this time."

He was more concerned with preparing the players he's still coaching for Monday night's season opener against the Buffalo Bills. But he did praise Seymour.

"There's a lot of things that Richard did well," Belichick said in his first remarks since Sunday's written statement announcing the trade for Oakland's first-round draft pick in 2011, "but that's the way it is and we're moving forward and our team's moving forward."

He refused to say whether the trade had been completed in the wake of Seymour's failure to report to the Raiders on Monday and Tuesday.

Asked if the deal was done, Belichick noted that the Patriots no longer had the rights to Seymour and said that the status of the trade was "not a topic that I'm going to address."

The NFL wouldn't talk about it either.

"Any comment at this time would have to come from the teams," league spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday.

Seymour is the fourth defensive leader to leave the Patriots since last season after Mike Vrabel was traded to Kansas City and Tedy Bruschi and Rodney Harrison retired.

Now players like second-year linebacker Jerod Mayo and defensive linemen Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren may have to fill leadership roles.

"We have a lot of good leaders on our team and especially on the defensive side of the ball," Belichick said. "No doubt about it, it's different, but I think it's good."

Wilfork, in the last year of his contract, wants an extension.

Director of player personnel Nick Caserio said in a conference call that he had no comment on whether money saved from Seymour, who is scheduled to make $3.7 million in 2009, the final year of his deal, would help in negotiating with Wilfork.

Defensive coordinator Dean Pees said he was very busy preparing for the Bills game and wouldn't talk about whether Belichick had asked for his input on the trade.

"This is not going to be an interview about Richard," Pees said politely in a conference call. "It's really about Buffalo and whoever we have here" to face the Bills.

This is why the franchise tag was a bad idea. If you aren't playing to the level that your salary demands, you don't get much sympathy from me.

Seymour given deadline by Raiders

No-show defensive lineman Richard Seymour is on the clock.

The Oakland Raiders sent Seymour the five-day letter, which means that the former Patriots defensive lineman has five days to report to the Raiders or be suspended, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter Thursday night.

Once the Raiders sent the letter, it imposed a deadline on both sides, with plenty to lose for each. Oakland could lose the player it covets, and Seymour could lose a season of earning $3.685 million.

In the meantime, the Raiders re-signed defensive tackle William Joseph on Thursday.

Joseph was cut by the Raiders on Sunday after the team acquired Seymour from New England in exchange for its first-round draft pick in 2011.

Raiders coach Tom Cable declined comment about reports Seymour and the Raiders were working on a new contract, but said he had spoken with Seymour and that the player confirmed he wanted to be in Oakland.

The Raiders didn't immediately announce a corresponding move to the Joseph signing.

Oakland was holding a night practice and Cable wasn't available for comment.

Trevor Scott, who tied for the Raiders lead in sacks as a rookie in 2008, will likely start at right defensive end against the Chargers if Seymour does not show up.

"It's out of my control, whatever's going to happen is going to happen," Scott said. "So if he does get here, some things are changed or different. I'm not going to let it affect me."

San Diego coach Norv Turner, whose teams travels to Oakland for Monday's season opener, said Seymour could still have an impact in the game if he reports soon.

"He's an outstanding football player," Turner said in a conference call Thursday. "A guy who's that good a football player, I think you find a spot, whether it be as an end pass rushing on third down, whatever those things might be. But certainly, it's hard to fit a guy in and get him going in a short period of time."

Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who has rushed for more yards (1,906) and touchdowns (19) against the Raiders than any other team, also expects Seymour to play well if he reports.

"He's a pro for one, he knows how to play football and he knows how to turn it on when it's time to turn it on," Tomlinson said. "I think he can absolutely have an effect on the game."

Joseph, a former first-round pick of the New York Giants who played in eight games for Oakland last season before being released on Sunday, wasn't surprised the Raiders re-signed him.

"The day they let me go, they released me, coach Cable said, 'Don't go nowhere,'" Joseph said. "I was just around, sticking around, seeing what was going to happen."

Seymour plans trip to Oakland

The Raiders and Richard Seymour are in the final stages of planning the defensive lineman's arrival in Oakland this weekend.

Seymour is expected to fly to Oakland as early as Saturday and arrive in time to play Monday night's game against the San Diego Chargers.

Oakland did not give Seymour a new contract or a promise not to slap its franchise tag on him after this season. But Seymour will not risk losing any of this year's $3.685 million base salary and he will be that much closer to free agency in a potentially uncapped year in 2010.

The news puts an end to a situation that had gone on for nearly a week and seemed as if it could last longer.

Oakland traded a 2011 first-round pick to New England last Sunday for Seymour. Then, after a week in which Seymour did not report, the Raiders sent him a five-day letter, giving him five days to report or risk being suspended. Oakland also removed him from its roster and signed defensive tackle William Joseph.

But executives around the league believed Seymour's best option was to report to the Raiders, begin collecting his $3.685 million salary and work off the last year of his contract.

Barring an unexpected breakdown, Seymour will become a Raider this weekend and be on the field Monday night.

Thanks for the updates. The best defense in the NFL just got torn apart by a few coaches. I guess all good things can't last forever.

Seymour says he was 'blindsided' by trade

Richard Seymour ended his five-day sit out and will join the Oakland Raiders on Saturday, saying he was initially "blindsided" by the trade from the New England Patriots.

"Since I got the call that I was being traded, my life's really been a whirlwind," Seymour said at a news conference at the Raiders facilities. "I've really been blindsided by the events that took place. I didn't expect it. I didn't understand what was going on. So it's like when something happens, when you're blindsided, you have to step back and realize what situation you're in."

Seymour was acquired last Sunday for a 2011 first-round pick but did not report to the Raiders, raising speculation he did not want to join Oakland.

In his first public comments since the deal, Seymour told the Boston Herald on Saturday that he was taken aback when coach Bill Belichick told him of the trade, which is sending him from one of the NFL's model franchises to the one with the worst record over the last six years.

"I had a lot to think about with my wife, my family, my friends that are close to me, just a lot to think about as far as how do we make this work," Seymour said. "How do we make it happen? I talked with coach Cable, and I talked with Mr. Davis as soon as this happened, and I assured them I wanted to be an Oakland Raider. They saw something special inside of me, and I just hope that I can bring what they saw. And that's my job to go out and do that, and I know that I will."

Owner Al Davis and Seymour both brushed off reports the Raiders had sent Seymour a five-day letter requiring him to report or face possible suspension.

Coach Tom Cable had remained optimistic through the entire ordeal and believes Seymour can help the Raiders' run defense which ranked last against the run in 2008.

"We've got a lot of good players on that side of the ball, but we needed a piece that would cement the entire group," Cable said. "As this thing went, this was a shock to him. This was something new for him, something unexpected to he and his family. So we chose to really kind of take the path of let this thing work itself out if it's going to. And it did."

Seymour has four children and is the guardian of a 15-year-old cousin, who had recently joined him in the Boston area. Seymour's family will return to South Carolina.

After five days of uncertainty, the Raiders are pleased to add a five-time Pro Bowler to their roster in time to play in the season opener. Cable told his team after practice Saturday that Seymour was joining the team and would play Monday night against the San Diego Chargers.

"It is a morale boost," Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said. "I think guys are pretty excited to have him because guys know what he's done in the past. He's got a good reputation so the morale of the team is pretty good right now."

Seymour said he has been in regular contact with Davis and Cable. He said he has talked with the Raiders about a possible contract extension or a promise not to be designated the franchise player following the season, but was given no guarantees.

Seymour turns 30 next month and is in the final year of a contract that pays him about $3.7 million this year. Had he not reported, he could have been suspended for the season and had his contract roll over to 2010.

"He's on a contract for one year, and we'll do what's right, when the time comes," Davis said. "We always have, for our great players and for those who help us. He knows that."

Seymour said he wasn't worried about playing in a game two days after reporting to his new team, saying he worked out in his backyard.

"I wasn't just sitting around," Seymour said. "I always pride myself in being in condition, being a well-conditioned athlete. I've got a couple of oak trees in the back, and I was hitting a couple of oak trees in the back, doing some rip moves."

The Raiders were looking to upgrade a run defense that was the worst in the league during the exhibition season and has been the worst over the past six seasons. Since going to the Super Bowl following the 2002 season, Oakland has had the worst run defense in the NFL, allowing 141.7 yards per game on the ground and 122 touchdowns rushing.

Despite his late arrival, Seymour said he plans to be on the field for Oakland's opener Monday night against San Diego.

"I'll be the guy on top of the quarterback," he said.

Defensive end Greg Ellis said he expected Seymour to contribute in the opener even though he won't even have a full practice with his new team.

"That's not far-fetched," Ellis said. "You think about it. He's been a pro now nine years. It's not like he wasn't practicing with the Patriots. It's not like he was just sitting there doing nothing. So he's in football shape, I'm pretty sure, with the program he's coming from. So I don't think that'll be an issue at all."

Back