Football noob questions..i need clarification please

afosterfan

Bench Warmer
hi all, i have some noob questions that i can't seem to find answers online.
so, i figure i throw out all my questions on here at once so i wont have to be bothering people individually via pm, lol. and hopefully this will help another noob like me.

i just started collecting cards so for now it's for fun, but i do want to have cards that will be a potential investment in the future. meaning quality(condition) of cards. so my questions are:

1. when beckett grades on centering. are they referring to centering of the signature horizontally only or both horizontally and vertically?(i looked on the beckett website and didn't see an detailed explanation) for instance, how would this card be graded on centering? since the signature is going towards the top?
afsigsterling.jpg

would the way the above card is signed have a decreased value?

2. i recently purchased an auto card. the card is signed like a blue sharpie type pen. but when i received the card upon closer inspection i notice that the signature is kind of scratched. like i can see small lines going through the sig vertically in some areas. it's not major, but when you look at it closely it is noticeable.
is that something that also decreases value? and if so, is it by much?

3. i'm interested in purchasing a card that has an inscription. the card that has both an auto and inscription has a run of 25, but is not numbered. there is a numbered version of the same exact card, but without the inscription. since both are runs of 25 would they have the same value? or would the inscription carry a higher value?

4. i know the signature pretty well of the player i'm collecting. there's a card of his i'd like to buy, but he signed the card a little scribbly. as seen here. the part inside the circle isn't as smooth as he does on nother cards. notice how its a little wobbly and also the bottom of the "f" looks like its a bid faded. do the 2 make a difference in value?
afsigpeace.jpg

thanks in advance for any and all comments :)

2. it wouldnt really effect the value imo if it did it wouldnt be much
3. the inscription cards are usually worth more due to the fact that the players rarely do them
4. no not really players sig can change quite abit from card to card they sign a ton of cards/stickers in one sitting.

They do grade the autograph. If there is smudges, finger prints, or smears, the Autograph will not get a 10.

The Autograph has its own grading system.

2. i recently purchased an auto card. the card is signed like a blue sharpie type pen. but when i received the card upon closer inspection i notice that the signature is kind of scratched. like i can see small lines going through the sig vertically in some areas. it's not major, but when you look at it closely it is noticeable.
is that something that also decreases value? and if so, is it by much?

This will go under surface condition of the card. The card grade will lose points for this.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions and shedding some light for me :)
Although,I am sad now about the one card w/scratches on the autograph *sigh* but its a lesson learned. At least now I'll now what specific questions to ask b4 buying another card...
Thanks again for all the help :)

i dont think this matters for grading but i know when it comes to selling if the auto isnt between the two lines it some times keeps buyers away
doesnt look as nice i guess

Yea,like me chitown,lol. I was hesitant to buy the card w/the auto in the 1st pic cuz of that reason.

Does anyone know of a "free book value" website or something? I used the one listed on this forums home page,but it doesn't give good feedback for arian foster.
I don't want to subscribe to beckett because I only need to know the bv of 5 arian foster cards plus I'm not trading or anything,but I'm trying to buy a couple more arian foster cards but have no idea of their bv....all I know is ebay price :(
Any help/direction is appreciated :)

Beckett online has individual player pricing you could buy for example just A.Foster cards and prices will show. Unfortunetly you prob need to buy a guide or subscription if you want any research besides ebay. If your into ETOPPS cards I know they have a free price guide at cardtarget.com. Beckett has been down last couple days for me and I can't get prices when I want. The customer service department says a new server will be online by end of week, so I'd wait to buy any online subscription til they become more consistent keeping site up.

afosterfan said:
Yea,like me chitown,lol. I was hesitant to buy the card w/the auto in the 1st pic cuz of that reason.

Does anyone know of a "free book value" website or something? I used the one listed on this forums home page,but it doesn't give good feedback for arian foster.
I don't want to subscribe to beckett because I only need to know the bv of 5 arian foster cards plus I'm not trading or anything,but I'm trying to buy a couple more arian foster cards but have no idea of their bv....all I know is ebay price :(
Any help/direction is appreciated :)

^thanks for the info :) I'll look into that.

One last question......for now,lol
I recently purchased a card with auto and inscription. The front of the card w/the aut and inscription is mint, but the back has some imperfections that the seller didn't tell me (its annoying how ppl knowing this hobby don't disclose this type of info) anyway...the imperfecction are indentions.
You can't notice them if you look at the card straight on,but if you angle it w/the light you can see it. It lloks like the card was under a sheet of paper or something and someone erased something on that paper and those erasing lines iindentions transferred onto the card.
I'm sure that would affect grading&value right?
And since its on the back and not the front would it be a minimal loss iin value?
Please let me know guys..I want to know if I should try&get my refund instead...

here are some pics of what i described in my above post. i know pics speak louder than words.

not too obvious, but you can see it by the football and his arm:
Picture005.jpg

another shot from different angle:
Picture004.jpg

and here you can notice it more with the light shinning down on it at an angle:
Picture003.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture001.jpg

and also this line indention:
Picture002.jpg

Yeah those scratches/indentations in the back should've been disclosed by the seller. Up to you if you want to pursue any further action with the seller, but those are pretty glaring and that's not cool in my book (or anybody's probably.) Beckett's site is very inconsistent and slow right now, I would wait on a subscription myself.
-Jim

Back