My Other Sport & Non-Sport Autos

...I think my dabbling is pretty amateurish compared to the majority of the more vocal forums members... I find it really difficult to justify spending more than a few dollars on a card !

Trust me... hang out with us for a few months and we'll have you busting boxes and spending $50-plus on ONE card! (NOTE: The highest I ever paid for one card was $150.00... but sold it a few weeks later for $600.00, so I had to buy it!)

Trust me... hang out with us for a few months and we'll have you busting boxes and spending $50-plus on ONE card! (NOTE: The highest I ever paid for one card was $150.00... but sold it a few weeks later for $600.00, so I had to buy it!)
$600 for a single card? Wow. That's true dedication. What was it if you don't mind me asking?

When you talk about these box busts... I assume this means that you're purchasing a box of whatever type of cards, and just opening a ton of packs? Like, one of those boxes that you see in the shop?

the card was an autographed race-used (3-color pit sign) of Bobby Labonte... #18/18! The guy who purchased it from me wanted it alot more than I did!

Wow, that's a helluva price tag. It's pretty sweet though when you meet people who are so passionate about their hobby that they're willing to throw down $600 for a piece of memorabilia. Did you happen to find out if that guy regularly spends a lot of money on collectibles?

Wow, that's a helluva price tag. It's pretty sweet though when you meet people who are so passionate about their hobby that they're willing to throw down $600 for a piece of memorabilia. Did you happen to find out if that guy regularly spends a lot of money on collectibles?

the guy is from Canada... and at that time (not sure, but thinking around 2003) I had one of the largest Bobby Labonte collections... and there were only a handful of people who had a better collection.. he was one of them. He purchased quite a few of my #/18 and #1/1 cards when I started to sell off my collection. Haven't seen him around an sites in a couple years, which is sad, as I would love to see what his collection looks like today.

Am I seeing it right that the card has a little insert with a piece of the character's uniform?
Yes, it has a piece of clothing and an autograph from Stewart.

$40 a piece of those cards... did you purchase all of them or were some your own?
Most of my cards are from boxes I bought from store. Some are from eBay.

Pretty serious hobby huh, I think my dabbling is pretty amateurish compared to the majority of the more vocal forums members... I find it really difficult to justify spending more than a few dollars on a card !
Everyone collects in different ways. Some spend hundreds of $$$ a month, other don't buy for years. What's right for yourself is what's important.

the guy is from Canada... and at that time (not sure, but thinking around 2003) I had one of the largest Bobby Labonte collections... and there were only a handful of people who had a better collection.. he was one of them. He purchased quite a few of my #/18 and #1/1 cards when I started to sell off my collection. Haven't seen him around an sites in a couple years, which is sad, as I would love to see what his collection looks like today.

As a Canadian, I didn't even realize that we had a large following for Nascar, much less people spending that much money on collecting cards and such.

When you say that you had one of the largest collections, do you mean in the world? Do you mind me asking you just how extensive your collection was?

Too bad the guy doesn't come around any more, I'd love to pick his brain on what keeps him collecting and willing to spend that much money.

I wouldn't say world... but it was one of the largest as far as Bobby Labonte fans were concerned. Besides having an entire collection of Bobby's cards, quite a few #1/1, numbered to his card (#18/XX), I had hats, clothing (coats and shirts), crew shirts, sheet metal, die-cast, etc.

At one time I was missing 21 cards from having every issue... but I also at one time had several autographs #/10, where I had ALL of the autographs.. #1/10 through #10/10... etc. etc.

Worth??? ... at that time it was just a couple years after he had won he Championship and all I know is I put thousands into the collection. I sold most of it off several years ago.. I doubt I got out of it, what I put into it.

Back