My 4 best cards

What do these numbers mean? Are they the # out of a series that were made?
Look at the Danica Patrick card pictured. On the right is typed "02/10", in red. That means the card was limited to only ten produced, and this particular one is noted as being the 2nd one produced.

Very nice collection just those four cards. Love the way you have them stored too. Will be well-preserved for a long time. Enjoy them because that's like having a treasure chest.

Look at the Danica Patrick card pictured. On the right is typed "02/10", in red. That means the card was limited to only ten produced, and this particular one is noted as being the 2nd one produced.
What's more important in that regard, the position in which it was printed, or the size of the set?

What I mean is, what provides more value... if the card is the first printed of the series, or if it's one of a small lot that was printed?

I would imagine that the latter would create more value, as the card itself would be far more scarce, though I wouldn't know as I haven't really encountered too many limited run items.

It's the number of cards in the set that creates the value.

There are collectors that collect the FIRST (#1) card from the set (i.e., 1/10, 1/25, 1/100) and others that collect the jersey number or car number (i.e., Jeff Gordon's car is #24, so collectors will collect #24/25, #24/100, etc).

Be aware... just because a card is stamped/marked #1/10, #1/100, etc... that does NOT mean that card was produced first.

As an example... during quality control if a #1/100 is found to be faulty (maybe the card got bent during production) then the company may reproduced a #1/100... so in reality, the #1/100 is NOT the first card.

What's more important in that regard, the position in which it was printed, or the size of the set?

What I mean is, what provides more value... if the card is the first printed of the series, or if it's one of a small lot that was printed?

I would imagine that the latter would create more value, as the card itself would be far more scarce, though I wouldn't know as I haven't really encountered too many limited run items.
What HE said:

It's the number of cards in the set that creates the value.

There are collectors that collect the FIRST (#1) card from the set (i.e., 1/10, 1/25, 1/100) and others that collect the jersey number or car number (i.e., Jeff Gordon's car is #24, so collectors will collect #24/25, #24/100, etc).

Be aware... just because a card is stamped/marked #1/10, #1/100, etc... that does NOT mean that card was produced first.

As an example... during quality control if a #1/100 is found to be faulty (maybe the card got bent during production) then the company may reproduced a #1/100... so in reality, the #1/100 is NOT the first card.
True, all the cards are produced at roughly the same time, so I misspoke somewhat. But, in another sense it is indeed produced first, as the serial number is an act of producing, so, for all intents and purposes, the # 1/10 card is essentially produced first, or is at least considered to be the first card in the series.

I can argue that point alllllll day lol

Is there any way that this could actually be determined? I mean, aside from asking the QC tech that was working the machine, or obtaining internal documents from the factory that produced the card, it seems one of those things that we as consumers simply can't know?

What HE said:

True, all the cards are produced at roughly the same time, so I misspoke somewhat. But, in another sense it is indeed produced first, as the serial number is an act of producing, so, for all intents and purposes, the # 1/10 card is essentially produced first, or is at least considered to be the first card in the series.

I can argue that point alllllll day lol
I agree with this point of view. I guess the incentive isn't so much that you have the first card that was produced, but the first numbered card in the series. That would be appeal enough I would imagine, especially seeing that we pretty much can't feasibly determine what order those cards came out in.

Back