Basketball Mavericks' Marion out 7-10 days with calf injury

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Shawn Marion won't return from a strained right calf to play for the Dallas Mavericks until next week at the earliest.

Marion missed the preseason opener due to the injury, then played in the past two games. He came out early in the second half of Sunday's game against Memphis after experiencing more pain and has not practiced since.

Marion said the team's medical staff told him he would need to sit out at least seven to 10 days.

"If you don't let it heal completely, it will linger," Marion said. "I don't want it to linger. I came back the first time and tried to play through it a little bit, but it was still bothering. I was fighting through it and actually tweaked it a little bit more and it started hurting worse."

Marion's activity this week has been limited to running on a water treadmill, stretching, riding the exercise bike, some shooting and getting treatment on his calf.

Marion isn't sure whether he'll play in either of the Mavericks' two preseason games next week. He is confident, however, that he'll be ready for the Oct. 27 opener against the Washington Wizards.

"That's my biggest goal," Marion said. "Preseason is the preseason, but when the season starts, I'm going to be there."

Back