Let’s Talk Some Baseball

In NorCal, Giants/A's. Need I say more?...I will anyway...A's, I don't think anybody really thought it would be this bad. Fujinami? Umm, I don't have words for that fiasco. They also haven't admitted to themselves that Alan Oller is the poster child for 'pitching is thinner because of expansion, it's getting worse, and hurlers that would have languished in the minors get called up in a heartbeat. We need bodies'. Oh well, they're finally moving out of Oakland. The A's are still the best minor league system for the rest of the league, Money Ball be damned. They all leave as soon as they are eligible for free agency. The Giants are simply hitting a period where they're not competitive, in a very competitive division. Blake Sobol looks interesting, especially if he can solve their problem behind the plate. Joc Pederson was the power bat but got hurt, so the Conforto acquisition looks better. Bigger view, I have no idea who looks good because of all the transactions in the offseason, and this increasingly bizarre reality where pitchers who can go 5 are immediately in the Cy Young discussion.

In NorCal, Giants/A's. Need I say more?...I will anyway...A's, I don't think anybody really thought it would be this bad. Fujinami? Umm, I don't have words for that fiasco. They also haven't admitted to themselves that Alan Oller is the poster child for 'pitching is thinner because of expansion, it's getting worse, and hurlers that would have languished in the minors get called up in a heartbeat. We need bodies'. Oh well, they're finally moving out of Oakland. The A's are still the best minor league system for the rest of the league, Money Ball be damned. They all leave as soon as they are eligible for free agency. The Giants are simply hitting a period where they're not competitive, in a very competitive division. Blake Sobol looks interesting, especially if he can solve their problem behind the plate. Joc Pederson was the power bat but got hurt, so the Conforto acquisition looks better. Bigger view, I have no idea who looks good because of all the transactions in the offseason, and this increasingly bizarre reality where pitchers who can go 5 are immediately in the Cy Young discussion.
Nice analysis! I like the move for Conforto though it was a bit overpriced…as you said, it’s paying off now.

Thanks...yeah, the Conforto acquisition caused some second-guessing in these parts, but I finally figured out not to listen to sports radio. EDIT; changing this a bit because I don't think I said what I meant. Sportstalk on the radio has been forced into drama-mongering, and so much of it is driven by money/contract analysis because of how drastically that impacts competitiveness. I'd rather just enjoy the game. Now if my starting pitcher can just go 5...wow; Mike Marshall won 14, 15, and 14 again out of the pen '72, '73 & '74. Maybe we'll have a bunch of Mike Marshalls in our bullpens. Sorry; another edit/addition...1974 saw another situation like Marshall; John Hiller of the Tigers. So the thought here is that we saw one team go to the world series, and the other was 72-90. HILLER LED THAT STAFF IN WINS even though Mickey Lolich and Joe Coleman were on that staff. Past may become prologue here.

MT

Last edited:
Feeling better about the Yankees as of late. Just went 6-1 on a 7 game road trip, went from last place to third. There’s still plenty of baseball left and 5.5 games back seems very manageable, they just need some of their injured players and pitchers back. Hopeful to see Rodon at some point this season but glad they called up Anthony Volpe, he’s living up to the hype. A surprise though, Aaron Hicks was DFA’d yesterday still having I think 2 years on his contract showing Yankees aren’t afraid to eat some contract money for the good of the team.

Feeling better about the Yankees as of late. Just went 6-1 on a 7 game road trip, went from last place to third. There’s still plenty of baseball left and 5.5 games back seems very manageable, they just need some of their injured players and pitchers back. Hopeful to see Rodon at some point this season but glad they called up Anthony Volpe, he’s living up to the hype. A surprise though, Aaron Hicks was DFA’d yesterday still having I think 2 years on his contract showing Yankees aren’t afraid to eat some contract money for the good of the team.
That is surprising about Aaron Hicks, I had not seen that he was DFA'd!!

Yep! And he had just had a 3-3 game and was showing signs of life too!
I don’t think he could deal with being a Yankee any longer his body language was awful. He had a couple good years but overall that was another lousy Cashman deal giving him a contract. With the Stanton deal being the real killer because he is either hurt or goes crazy for two weeks crushing the ball and then goes a month looking completely lost.

I don’t think he could deal with being a Yankee any longer his body language was awful. He had a couple good years but overall that was another lousy Cashman deal giving him a contract. With the Stanton deal being the real killer because he is either hurt or goes crazy for two weeks crushing the ball and then goes a month looking completely lost.
Josh Donaldson’s sweating intensifies

As a Mariners fan, it's been a little disappointing so far. For a team that looked like last season's exciting wild card achievement was just a jump-off point, many of the key young components have had down seasons to this point. Julio in particular, has been struggling greatly. I had him pegged as one of the next generational superstars, and he may still be that. Just not right now. Kelenic was an absolute firework early in the season, game in and game out he was doing new and exciting. Now, even he has tailed off dramatically. The young pitching has been keeping them in most games, but often it just isn't enough with the poor, inconsistent offensive show. Hoping for a turnaround.

As a Mariners fan, it's been a little disappointing so far. For a team that looked like last season's exciting wild card achievement was just a jump-off point, many of the key young components have had down seasons to this point. Julio in particular, has been struggling greatly. I had him pegged as one of the next generational superstars, and he may still be that. Just not right now. Kelenic was an absolute firework early in the season, game in and game out he was doing new and exciting. Now, even he has tailed off dramatically. The young pitching has been keeping them in most games, but often it just isn't enough with the poor, inconsistent offensive show. Hoping for a turnaround.
I didn’t realize Julio was struggling until I sold an /23 parallel of him for $40 and was surprised it was so low

Back