Let’s Talk Some Baseball

Boston has been better than expected. Everyone was complaining all off-season about letting Bogaerts go (and a day doesn't go by without me hearing someone complaining about trading Mookie Betts three years ago) and them not signing any big name players, but they are a much better team thanks to some newcomers and under the radar signings.

Masataka Yoshida has been a great addition and Triston Casas is going to be a star. By the end of the year, I expect Brayan Bello will be a dominant pitcher and the comparisons to Pedro Martinez will be fulfilled. They have been a decent team even though their starting pitching has been weak and that should improve over the season.

Problem is AL East is so strong. All 5 teams could be playoff contenders and will keep beating each other up. Big question will be what Sox, Yanks and Blue Jays do at the trade deadline. Try to win now and stay close to the Rays or shed some salary for future prospects? It is not going to be an easy decision.

Boston has been better than expected. Everyone was complaining all off-season about letting Bogaerts go (and a day doesn't go by without me hearing someone complaining about trading Mookie Betts three years ago) and them not signing any big name players, but they are a much better team thanks to some newcomers and under the radar signings.

Masataka Yoshida has been a great addition and Triston Casas is going to be a star. By the end of the year, I expect Brayan Bello will be a dominant pitcher and the comparisons to Pedro Martinez will be fulfilled. They have been a decent team even though their starting pitching has been weak and that should improve over the season.

Problem is AL East is so strong. All 5 teams could be playoff contenders and will keep beating each other up. Big question will be what Sox, Yanks and Blue Jays do at the trade deadline. Try to win now and stay close to the Rays or shed some salary for future prospects? It is not going to be an easy decision.
I agree with your take on Casas…he’s progressing nicely in the early stages of the season.

Overall the Jays are in a decent position at the quarter mark but the consistency hasn't been there. While it's been great to see Berrios and Kikuchi turn it around after how rough last year was we're going to need Manoah and Springer to find their groove if we're going to have a chance to do some damage when it counts.
Other than a rocky first start Bassit has been as advertised, the big additions (including Whitfield who came over last year) have provided a good blend of contact and speed.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Matt Chapman. It would be great to see the Jays resign him but with Vladdy still needing to get paid Chapman may be playing his way past what the Jays can afford. That $25 million a year tied up with Springer hurts for what the return has been but at least the $20 million a year that Ryu is getting will be off the books at the end of the season.
What in the world is going on with Manoah??? I did not see this type of start coming at all. I don't think anyone did And while I absolutely believe in Berrios, I still have my doubts about Kikuchi. But for my fantasy teams sake I hope he does well.

I'm hoping that the Yankees pitching can improve some as they've had some issues. Bats and fielding need to get consistent too. Some flashes from other players not named Judge, but we need a bit more that flashes. Wondering if Ohtani goes up for trade before the deadline and if so, will the Yankees make a play for him.

What in the world is going on with Manoah??? I did not see this type of start coming at all. I don't think anyone did And while I absolutely believe in Berrios, I still have my doubts about Kikuchi. But for my fantasy teams sake I hope he does well.
At one point they were trying to blame it on having trouble getting used to the pitch clock. Not that I've seen every game (stupid night shift) but I think he's lost some of his confidence which can be worse than dealing with a physical injury for a pitcher (or alot of pro athletes for that matter).
For the record I feel the same way about Kikuchi.

What can really be said about this White Sox season is probably not all that good since we are currently 17-29 3rd worst record in the AL. We are only 7.5 games behind the Twinkies and 5-5 in our last 10. We have had several key players recently return from injuries (Moncada, Burger, Crochett, and Tim Anderson). This was followed up with other players going on the DL (Eloy Jiminez (appendix) and Andrus. The starting pitching has been horrible but trending in the right direction. Bullpen getting healthy and Liam Hendricks back soon (Yeah !). Hope remains internal (I have too many games left on season tickets to think otherwise) but reality is a fire sale may come sooner than later. FYI (AL Central is not very good .500 may win it)

What can really be said about this White Sox season is probably not all that good since we are currently 17-29 3rd worst record in the AL. We are only 7.5 games behind the Twinkies and 5-5 in our last 10. We have had several key players recently return from injuries (Moncada, Burger, Crochett, and Tim Anderson). This was followed up with other players going on the DL (Eloy Jiminez (appendix) and Andrus. The starting pitching has been horrible but trending in the right direction. Bullpen getting healthy and Liam Hendricks back soon (Yeah !). Hope remains internal (I have too many games left on season tickets to think otherwise) but reality is a fire sale may come sooner than later. FYI (AL Central is not very good .500 may win it)
Took the words right out of my mouth Henry. Your Sox and Walt’s Tigers have as good a chance as any in that division.

I agree with bfd that the starting pitching for the Twins has been a strength to start the season, which went from cast offs to a legitimate rotation over night.
Of course the Twins continue to have major arm issues, and we're into the minors for 2 starters.
The bullpen is the new Achilles heel. The organization is he'll bent on Pagan and Jax has been unmasked as a 2 pitch reliever. Too many heartbreaking losses because of a weak pen.
Buxton is healthy but Correa struggles. Larnach is driving in runs, but Miranda was sent down. Gallo is hitting moonshots, but we still leave way too many stranded runners.

Strong enough to win the Central, probably out in the first round of playoffs... again.

I agree with bfd that the starting pitching for the Twins has been a strength to start the season, which went from cast offs to a legitimate rotation over night.
Of course the Twins continue to have major arm issues, and we're into the minors for 2 starters.
The bullpen is the new Achilles heel. The organization is he'll bent on Pagan and Jax has been unmasked as a 2 pitch reliever. Too many heartbreaking losses because of a weak pen.
Buxton is healthy but Correa struggles. Larnach is driving in runs, but Miranda was sent down. Gallo is hitting moonshots, but we still leave way too many stranded runners.

Strong enough to win the Central, probably out in the first round of playoffs... again.
Yeah...you need Correa to get on track and stay healthy for sure. If they are in the division lead they may make a move for a closer later in the summer.

Back