Basketball LeBron Files Paperwork To Change Number From 23 to 6;Says It’s In Deference To Jordan

bjtheman1

Bench Warmer
LeBron James(notes) is serious about honoring Michael Jordan’s No. 23 after all. James hit Wednesday’s deadline to apply to the NBA to change his uniform number from 23 to 6, according to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

"I’ve done it," James told the paper. "I already sent it in. I’m going to be No. 6."

James first floated the idea in November, saying he wanted to switch from 23 out of respect for Jordan. James would want to wear 6, the number he wore while leading the U.S. to Olympic gold in Beijing in 2008.

The last big-name player to change numbers without changing teams was Kobe Bryant(notes), who switched from 8 to 24 in 2006. Kobe’s new jersey quickly became the league’s top seller.
More from Sporting News: Iverson’s Season Reportedly Over

did Kobe really have a reason for doing it? LOL

fresh start.... was the 8 tainted?

was that the number of years of prison he avoided?

He stole that # from Eddie Jones back in the day anway ;) lol

Jim Brewer, Doug Christie, Randolph Keys, all wore that #8 as well ;)

Kobe how could you take it from these "star" players ;)

Ground Support said:
Good time to change a number. Just before he changes teams this offseason.

it's all b/c he cant wear 23 in Chicago or Miami... which are his top 2 options.

at least that's what I'm saying.

And to me, the Jersey# card is based on the picture on the card, so the 23/XXX RCs are still the same.

Ground Support said:
no way New York isn't a top option.

Miami yes, Chicago No way...

New Jersey Nets (even though a NYC team) has a better chance then Chicago.

I was just BSing about the Bulls, you should know that by now. But there's no chance in hell he joins the Nets... they do not have a better chance than Chicago... Chicago has Rose, a max offer for LeBron, and enough trade pieces for a 2nd tier guy of LeBron's choice.... the Nets have a draft pick.

I've said all along, he stays in Cleveland or plays with Wade in Miami

The only team that he needs to put a change in for is the Cavs. He does not have to request it for any other team. Just adds to the idea of his staying put I think

No way in hell he is going to the Knicks.

Did you see the game last night?! They are HORRIBLE. LeBron knows how long it took to get the Cavs where they are and it would take just as long or longer for the Knicks to get there.

Back