It's really a good time to be a mixed martial arts fans

windmortal

Bench Warmer
It seems Fedor isn't going to sign with the UFC. Good. The guy's management team is a joke. $30 million contract is what I heard. Come on .... Of course White and the Fertittas aren't going to pull that trigger. Heard Fedor is thinking StrikeForce. Where are they gonna get the money for him?

UFC 101 is coming up. I'm going so it's extra sweet for me. Good card too. Especially coming off a successful weekend of UFC in Vegas for the historic 100 event and accompanying Fan Expo, which drew more than 50,000 visitors to the Mandalay Bay Convention Center.

Like a poster before me has stated, some kind of Dana White announcement tomorrow. We've heard this all before, and he's been criticized for not coming through with the big announcement. I think tomorrow, he will. Not sure what he's gonna say, but I've got an idea.

In the video game world, THQ is going to release Undisputed for the Ninetendo Wii sometime next year. In the same breath, looks like the Last Emperor is going to lead EA Sports' charge in the mixed martial arts game market.

For collectors, the second stand-alone sports card set is set to be released in mid-August. When Topps released UFC Round 1 early this year, demand was high and the stuff sold quick. Hard to find a sealed box for under $350. The new stuff will be released in hobby form, with more autos, event-used and other inserts, as well as retail, which will be distributed through a box chain store.

On August 9, the WEC offers up an awesome card, which includes a bantaam weight title fight pitting champ Miguel Torres against Brian Bowles, as well as up-and-comer Joseph Benavidez, Leonard Garcia and the always exciting Marcus Hicks against Shane Roller, which promises to be a great fight.

Just six days later, Strikeforce offers four title fights, including, for the first time a female main event bout. El Nino, Ishida, Babalu, Mousasi, Diaz and Hieron all fighting for titles sounds good to me. Werdum is also be rumored to be on the card.

Then on Aug. 29 in Oregon, Couture fights Nogueira, plus and undercard that includes awesome fights with Maia against Marquardt and Soszynski vs. Vera.
In the first part of September, WEC features an interim lightweight title fight between Cerrone and another up-and-comer, Ben Henderson. Plus Damacio Page is on the card and his last KO was brutal. TUF Heavyweights with Kimbo, Rampage and Rashad starts a few weeks later.

Also, ESPN is going to broadcast UFC 101 in U.K. and Ireland. It's just going to be a matter of time here in the states.

So, like I said, good time to be a mixed martial arts fan ...

Back