Basketball I want your opinions on what you think will happen to the NBA.

23cavs23

Bench Warmer
Two part question here.In your opinion what do you think will happen to the NBA if it plays out there it is true and up to 20 more Refs get popped for this gambling deal?Second part how does it effect you in next season?Will you still watch or will you not care about it anymore and put more effort in another sport?

My opinion I think it will crush them and sponsors and TV ratings will fade away and could wipe them out for a long time to come.

I probably wont watch it anymore or invest my time and money into it as far as jerseys and going to games and other memoribilia..etc.

Just curious on what everyone else thinks here.

i dont think it will be as drastic as what you plan, but there could be a real fall off and turn off from it, and questioning of every call

however, maybe it will make the game better, in that refs wont call cheap fouls or hold grudges since it will look exactly as what he did...

well if there were 20 refs involved the NBA are gonna lose pretty much everything and have to start from scratch.

IF it is JUST refs I think they can recover.....IF ANY and I mean ANY players were involved the NBA is DONE! I hope it was just some refs looking for more money and made a few side bets....what people dont understand is its against the rules for them to gambel PERIOD NOT just on games they are officiating, but NBA games PERIOD....and IF its just a matter of them betting on other games thats one things...BUT if they bet on those games because THEY KNEW that TIM was gonna change the outcome to help them? HTEN MAN this is BAAAAAAAAAAAAD NEWS for the NBA ...REALLY BAD NEWS!

ac-n-mike said:
IF it is JUST refs I think they can recover.....IF ANY and I mean ANY players were involved the NBA is DONE! I hope it was just some refs looking for more money and made a few side bets....what people dont understand is its against the rules for them to gambel PERIOD NOT just on games they are officiating, but NBA games PERIOD....and IF its just a matter of them betting on other games thats one things...BUT if they bet on those games because THEY KNEW that TIM was gonna change the outcome to help them? HTEN MAN this is BAAAAAAAAAAAAD NEWS for the NBA ...REALLY BAD NEWS!

Thats what I am thinking and I surely hope that it doesnt go to this.I really like watching but what why would it matter pulling for a team if you know that there is the chance that your teams not gonna win because some people want to make some money.I am really curious to see what the deal is with the Suns Spurs game in the playoffs was about.That was a big game and he changed the whole game.If I was a Suns fan i would be furiuos right now.

The Suns DID have other chances thoug...YES that game was HUGE but there were 6 other games in that series...IF it was game 7 I could see, BUT they had their opportunities. I WOULD STILL ME P.O.ed as a SUNS FAN LOL!

I think as long as it was JUST REFS the NBA will be ok..but man if it was 1 or 2 players AND THE REFS? OH MAN this will be BAD!!!!

Well the last thing the NBA needed is more negative publicity. Enough guys already look at the NBA as a bunch of thugs and all the recent fights haven't exactly helped. Now this? I pretty much feel that anywhere there is money to be made there will be corrupt people who will try to make it. All sports are fixed IMO to an extent we just don't know about it. There are a lot more people shaving points than you would think. I will not be deterred from watching games because I still love the sport of basketball and this is it's highest display of talent. Not to mention it could have happened in any sport and if it had happened in football or hockey it would most likely be a player. I know a bookmaker in Boston who used to have an old goalie let a couple pucks slide in for him before they went to a money line system. It happens everywhere, it just isn't always found out.

The NBA would be lucky if the refs were the only ones involved. That can be fixed rather easily in my mind when compared to if players were involved. I think basketball will remain popular and continue its steady growth as a major world sport.

Back