What Do You Guys Think About the "Retro" Style Sets?

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
I was just reading this article about the 2015 Topps Heritage Baseball set...which will be released next spring. You can see the article here: http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/2015-topps-heritage-preview/

It got me thinking...what do you guys think when card companies recycle old designs like this?

I will admit, when they first started doing it (like back in 2001) I thought it was cool. I have always really liked vintage cards...so I thought retro sets were neat. But, it seems they are doing it more and more. Obviously, they are selling...the card companies are making money and thus will continue to make these sets.

I'm starting to get tired of seeing this every year. If card companies lack the creativity to come up with enough new designs each per...perhaps they are producing too many products. Yes, something retro every now and again is fun...but it seems that they are becoming as common as everything else.

But...at the end of the day, these businesses are making money with these products. The more the sell, the more they will produce.

What are your thoughts?

I am not a big fan of them. IMO kind of takes away from the originals and that it seems they ran out of other things to do so go back to an older set and redo it so they can keep on pumping out sets.
Kind of like when they remake movies. :)

Kind of like when they remake movies. :)
I hadn't thought of it like that...but it's true.

I think doing it on a very limited basis is OK...the reason I love vintage cards so much today is because of the little bit they did it when I was a kid. I love vintage baseball cards (especially Mantle's) because as a child I collected the 1996 Topps Mantle reprints they produced shortly after his death. They can spark interest in the vintage stuff...but at some point they are just exploiting the past and I agree...sorta taking away from the originals.

Some of the retro sets are appealing to me, like the 2009 Topps National Chicle football. I simply like the painted look of the cards.

In general, I was a fan of the reused designs in the beginning. However, the more exposure I have to the original sets the less I like seeing the designs re-used. I think I agree that they can spark an interest in the older designs.

I like them. When they first came out I hated the idea but then when I actually started getting some I enjoyed them. My biggest beef with them though is with the infestation of parallels and inserts that all the card makers now HAVE to have along with the tons and tons of short printed stuff and artifacts/relics and autographs they all HAVE to have now I am getting tired of them. Heck I'm getting tired of new and current cards in general. I almost feel like we are in a second "Junk Wax" era.

Back