I don't understand BGS Grading

bjtheman1

Bench Warmer
I was checking out some of my graded cards yesterday when I noticed this.

I have several that will have three 9.5's and one 9 and be a 9.5 Final Grade.

I also have one that has a 10, two 9.5's, and an 8.5 with a 9 Final Grade...now why is that? This card is one of my Wade Auto's which really irritates me too!

Just doesn't make sense, why give one card something different then another when the final numbers are the same?

:rolleyes:

bjtheman1 said:
I was checking out some of my graded cards yesterday when I noticed this.

I have several that will have three 9.5's and one 9 and be a 9.5 Final Grade.

I also have one that has a 10, two 9.5's, and an 8.5 with a 9 Final Grade...now why is that? This card is one of my Wade Auto's which really irritates me too!

Just doesn't make sense, why give one card something different then another when the final numbers are the same?

:rolleyes:

The reason is because a final grade can only be half a score higher than its lowest subgrade....

when you turn cards over as much as you kids do, or just can't afford grading, you tend to not like it, but if you plan on having a card longer than two weeks the protection and labeling for easy look up comes in pretty handy. I personally feel the grading is biased sometimes, but if it's only $5, the protection and labeling is worth it to me, just depends on what you are sending in!

My step brother has a Brandon Inge 9,9.5,9.5,9.5 and its overall is 9.5. Just from what is being said, this doesn't seem right...

thesnake87 said:
My step brother has a Brandon Inge 9,9.5,9.5,9.5 and its overall is 9.5. Just from what is being said, this doesn't seem right...

that is EXACTLY right... the 9.5 is the HIGHEST that it could have graded....

the HIGHEST it can be is .5 higher than the LOWEST grade

the LOWEST GRADE on that card is 9.0 and all others are 9.5 so the final grade is 9.5

same goes if the grades were 10/10/10/9 it would be a grade of 9.5

again no more than .5 over the LOWEST grade

so if it was 2/10/10/10 the highest grade the card would get is a 2.5 lol

ac-n-mike said:
that is EXACTLY right... the 9.5 is the HIGHEST that it could have graded....

the HIGHEST it can be is .5 higher than the LOWEST grade

the LOWEST GRADE on that card is 9.0 and all others are 9.5 so the final grade is 9.5

same goes if the grades were 10/10/10/9 it would be a grade of 9.5

again no more than .5 over the LOWEST grade

so if it was 2/10/10/10 the highest grade the card would get is a 2.5 lol
A 2/10/10/10 would actually grade a 3. They bump a full point from the lowest if the others subgrades are at least 1.5 points higher each than the lowest subgrade.

If any sub was 2 and the rest 10 and you sent to get it graded, they ought to charge you DOUBLE as a penalty for wasting their time (not to mention pure idiocy) unless it was from the 40's or earlier.

I only send in cards that are either high end vintage or things that I think have a chance at a 9.5 or 10...though I've never sent in, only submitted at the National show. Otherwise to me, it's not worth grading really. So far I've only graded a Joe Flacco Contenders College SP Auto & a Johnny Unitas auto, both came back a 9.5. I look very hard at my cards and decide if I think it's worth grading before I even think about it, though I do buy graded cards now and then.

I just pulled out my 87 Bonds from 5 years ago now I can verify the statements everyone has made. Before you say anything, I obviously was too young to pay attention to the card, and it was a free grading anyways.

1987 Topps Barry Bonds #320

Corners: 8
Surface: 8.5
Edges: 8.5
Centering: 5.5

Overall: 6.5 EX-Mt+

It's the Top/Bottom that killed the card, and a scan would make it obvious to anybody except the stupid 5 years ago teenage me. It sure would've been nice to have got a 7.5 instead.:p

Back