Hey everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonsiccus

Bench Warmer
Hey guys,

Just wanted to poke my head in and say hi - after a long, long absence (I'm talking from childhood) from collecting cards, I'm starting to take a look at picking up new hockey cards. My old collection is lost in some attic somewhere now, but I recall my favourite card as a child was Bure rookie card and it really got me in to the hobby.

Anyway, hope to see some of you around.

Welcome to SCC!

There's a few Hockey-lovers here, and they sell and trade, so you may be able to pick-up some new cards when the opportunities arise.

I'm not into Hockey myself, and the only cards I have are from the 90's.

Thanks for the heads up - what's the most popular card type on the forum? I had a handful of baseball cards, but seeing as I never really watched baseball, I found it difficult to fall in love with them the way that I did with hockey cards.

My first collection was all hockey and sorry to say I took an offer on it. I miss them. Mine were mostly from the 90s as well. Being back to collecting a bit now with Baseball, this forum is a treasure trove of information. I look forward to seeing some of your stuff!

Thanks for the heads up - what's the most popular card type on the forum? I had a handful of baseball cards, but seeing as I never really watched baseball, I found it difficult to fall in love with them the way that I did with hockey cards.
It's not easy to say, but the more active people here tend to trade/sell/buy Racing and Hockey, from what I can tell. There's also people interested in Baseball and Football, and other sports and non-sports, so there's no real single type of card collector here....but I'm rather new myself, having only been here a month or two. During that time I did make a couple trades, but I've also noticed a lot of hesitations too, where there may be interest but no actual action taken on things....kinda like "window-gazing" at stuff in someone's store lol

My first collection was all hockey and sorry to say I took an offer on it. I miss them. Mine were mostly from the 90s as well. Being back to collecting a bit now with Baseball, this forum is a treasure trove of information. I look forward to seeing some of your stuff!

It's definitely a change to see card collecting from an adult perspective. The last time I really had any interest it was nothing more than a boyish hobby. Now, reading some of the posters here, it's a passion beyond a simple hobby. I just saw another thread where someone stored his cards and collectibles in a safe.... inside of another safe!

It's definitely a change to see card collecting from an adult perspective. The last time I really had any interest it was nothing more than a boyish hobby. Now, reading some of the posters here, it's a passion beyond a simple hobby. I just saw another thread where someone stored his cards and collectibles in a safe.... inside of another safe!

Watch one of Randy's Box Breaks....you want to know collecting from an adult perspective forget it. I feel like a kid again. Hearing the wrapping come off the cards and watching the light dance off of them. He gets right to the "hits", explains them a bit and moves on. This could be a problem as I am really starting to get into it again....I do miss the stale, wafer like bubble gum though.

Is that a youtube channel or something from the forums?

One of my favourite things was the smell of new cards wafting out of the plastic packaging. The crinkle of a pile of wrapping was music to my young ears haha.

That gum though, man, I didn't even recall that one bit until you mentioned it.

It's not easy to say, but the more active people here tend to trade/sell/buy Racing and Hockey, from what I can tell. There's also people interested in Baseball and Football, and other sports and non-sports, so there's no real single type of card collector here....but I'm rather new myself, having only been here a month or two. During that time I did make a couple trades, but I've also noticed a lot of hesitations too, where there may be interest but no actual action taken on things....kinda like "window-gazing" at stuff in someone's store lol
Are people hesitant with exchanging cards via mail to strangers? I mean, I could definitely see the apprehension since it's a bit of a gamble when it comes to anything online.

It's not quite card related, but I recall one time trading some special dice (I once played DnD, don't judge me!) and just having the other party disappear. I knew the guy online for well over a year too, all over like $20 worth of dice.

Ugh, whatever.

I think we all have a story or 2 about an online sale or trade going the wrong way. There is always a bit of hesitation I think, but when you find a site like this that has some built in quality control and what seems like a good group of collectors, most of the hesitation goes away.

Are people hesitant with exchanging cards via mail to strangers? I mean, I could definitely see the apprehension since it's a bit of a gamble when it comes to anything online.

It's not quite card related, but I recall one time trading some special dice (I once played DnD, don't judge me!) and just having the other party disappear. I knew the guy online for well over a year too, all over like $20 worth of dice.

Ugh, whatever.
I don't think there's too much of that. New people MUST send first, so there's that built in safety-net.

With me, I can't pay shipping, so that's a turn-off to most people, and I get that. I say I'll compensate with a better deal, but no one bites lol

I don't think there's too much of that. New people MUST send first, so there's that built in safety-net.

With me, I can't pay shipping, so that's a turn-off to most people, and I get that. I say I'll compensate with a better deal, but no one bites lol
I wasn't aware that new people MUST send first. Come to think of it, that's definitely a good way to discourage people from running off with your stuff. I imagine that the recipient will be the member that's more known in the community, someone that has developed a bit of a reputation for themselves?

As for shipping, how much does it typically cost to mail a card or two? I assume there's a hard sleeve or case involved to prevent damage?

I wasn't aware that new people MUST send first. Come to think of it, that's definitely a good way to discourage people from running off with your stuff. I imagine that the recipient will be the member that's more known in the community, someone that has developed a bit of a reputation for themselves?
Here's what the first rule says:
a) New members with less than 10 Feedback MUST SEND FIRST on all Trades/Sales.
So I misspoke a bit. New people USUALLY have to send first. I'm guessing if there are two people who have no previous trades completed, it's up to those two to decide, unless this applies:
Be alert and check your trading partner's profile for a "Must Send First" tag. This tag is placed on a member's profile for a reason!

The rest of the guidelines for selling/trading can be found here:

http://www.sportscardclub.com/threads/trading-selling-guidelines-updated-7-30-13.427258/

As for shipping, how much does it typically cost to mail a card or two? I assume there's a hard sleeve or case involved to prevent damage?
The following is in my opinion (IMO):

Cards need to be protected during shipping. They need stiff backing to keep from being bent or dimpled in transit. An ordinary envelope isn't advised, as damage can happen relatively easily in them.

A bubble-mailer works well for small numbers of cards, but cards should be placed between something stiff and hard to flex, like stiff cardboard or thick plastic. It costs about $3 with USPS Tracking (recommended). With a medium-sized bubble-mailer you may be able to fit up to ten cards or so in it safely, and that may be an extra buck, maybe $4 total, but I can't say for sure as I never used the larger kind, I use size # 000 lol

Larger amounts of cards should be sent in a box. The box should be at least two inches larger in dimensions than the cards. The cards should be wrapped carefully in something to contain them, like a hard-plastic box (the kind made specifically for trading cards) or plastic or paper wrapping. The goal is to keep the corners from being damaged while being wrapped, so hard pieces of material (like cardboard) should be "sandwiching" the cards before wrapping them and taping it closed. Once properly pre-packed, the cards can be placed in the box with packing material, foam peanuts, newspaper, etc. spread evenly around the cards, at least an inch on all sides. That'll protect the cards from most damage...unless one of the handlers throws a mean fastball with it, then I make no guarantees.

Wow, I appreciate the informative reply - particularly in regards to packaging the cards. Now that you mention all the possible ways that the cards can get damaged in transit... is humidity ever something that gets accounted for? Or is it too minor an issue to deal with?

Is there some sort of standardized grading scale for the condition of cards? I had seen a loose one before for a card game I used to play called Magic the Gathering, wondering if there's something similar for trading cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back