Football HELP needed with this card, Byner 89 Pro Set

bruntyblue

Bench Warmer
Need some help with finding what version off this card is. This is the info I could find and I still cant work it out. lol Here is the info I have.

Pro Set entered the football card market with a three series offering for 1989. A first series consisted of 440 cards followed by a 100-card second series offering. A Final Update set consisted of 21 cards for a total of 561 standard-size full-color cards. The backs are horizontal with a small photo, statistics and highlights. The first series is ordered numerically by teams and alphabetically within teams. The second series, issued five cards per Series II pack, includes first-round draft picks (485-515) from the previous spring's college draft and cards numbered 516-540 are "Pro Set Prospects". The second series cards differ in design by having a red border. The Final Update set includes Pro Set Prospects (542-549) and several cards (550-561) of players that were traded since the start of the season. These cards were also part of the second series offering. Complete Final Update sets were offered direct from Pro Set for $2.00 plus 50 Pro Set Play Book points. Rookie Cards include Troy Aikman, Flipper Anderson, Don Beebe, Brian Blades, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Michael Irvin, Keith Jackson, Dave Meggett, Eric Metcalf, Anthony Miller, Jay Novacek, Rodney Peete, Andre Rison, Mark Rypien, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Sterling Sharpe, Neil Smith, Chris Spielman, John Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Thurman Thomas and Rod Woodson. Card No. 47A William Perry, was pulled early in the initial production run creating a short print. He was replaced by Ron Morris (47B). A single print by design, the Pete Rozelle commemorative card was randomly inserted in one out of every 200 first series packs. The set is considered complete without either the Perry or the Rozelle cards.

Ok have found out a bit more about this one, There were 4 variations off the card, A, B, C and D, 2 cards were realeased without a traded strip on them and 2 cards were, this card is missing the stripe so is one of the more expensive cards. the second series card is the most valuable of the lot, so to me this has a red border and must be the second series card, am i right? any help greatly appreciated
Rob

Byner.jpg

back.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Give up on Beckett..... half the staff there don't care about the hobby.... the other half weren't collecting then....

Pretty much the only way to keep track of these errors/variations is to find a lot of old Beckett's... None of the people who collect the Pro Set cards have made any websites dedicated to the set.

I cannot recall the difference between 480B and 480C, but those both have the trade stripe on them.... you have 480A, the one with no trade stripe.... or the most common version...

Just remembered the difference.... here you go....
There's only 3 versions of this card:
480A No Trade Stripe On Front
480B Trade Stripe On Front Text: See Also Browns Card.... On Back
480C Trade Stripe On Front, No Text "See Also Brown Card" On Back

All the Ernest Byner's #480 were in the second series.... like you stated cards 441-540 were all second series cards....

marinocollector said:
Just remembered the difference.... here you go....
There's only 3 versions of this card:
480A No Trade Stripe On Front
480B Trade Stripe On Front Text: See Also Browns Card.... On Back
480C Trade Stripe On Front, No Text "See Also Brown Card" On Back

All the Ernest Byner's #480 were in the second series.... like you stated cards 441-540 were all second series cards....

So this card is an error card basically? the way I read it is that this card is a SP and was pulled during production to be replaced with the cards with the Traded Stripe on them making it a short print. I am confussed !!!!

No, your version is actually the most common version.... Pro Set made various waves... and each time did something new to "improve" the product... The traded stripes were an add on as sales of series 2 slowed.... I cant recall if the McMahon/Riggs/Byner variations w/ Stripes but w/o "See also..." versions were third wave variations or true errors in the second wave.

Back