Calhoun will return as UConn's coach next year

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Connecticut men's basketball coach Jim Calhoun says he plans to return for a 24th season at the school.

Calhoun hedged when asked about his future after the Huskies lost to Michigan State in the Final Four on Saturday. The loss coupled with frustration over allegations that UConn's program violated NCAA recruiting rules might have taken their toll.

But after giving it some thought, Calhoun has decided to return.

"It is my full intention to return for the 2009-10 season," Calhoun said. "I look forward to coaching next season and to continuing as the head coach at Connecticut into the future. In many ways, the journey of this past season has made me realize how much I love coaching this game, how much I love my kids and how much I enjoy being at Connecticut."

Several off-the-court issues had prompted questions about Calhoun's future, including an investigation into UConn's recruitment of former player Nate Miles. The coach also has been treated for cancer three times during his UConn career, including last summer when he successfully battled skin cancer.

Calhoun has a career record of 805-342 and is No. 6 in NCAA Division I history for career wins. The Huskies have been to the Final Four three times under Calhoun, winning the title in 2004 and 1999.

Back