Football Who is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL?

Who is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL?

• Philip Rivers

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Tony Romo

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Eli Manning

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Vince Young

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Ben Roethlisberger

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Other (Please post who)

Votes: 8 13.6%

• Total voters
kutzy said:
Ben reothlisberger is it for me. The dude averaged like 15 throws a game, and all of the sudden he is gods gift to QB's?

Peyton Manning is quite possibly the best QB ever, im not sure why his name is up here as a mention. I guess all of you think Dan Marino was a subpar QB as well?

No disrespect but if Manning goes down as the best QB of all time there is something seriously wrong. I mean if that's your opinion okay cool but just out of curiosity what is it that makes Manning look so great to you ?

IMO Tom Brady 10x >> Maninng

Again not trying to start a flame war or anything, just wondering how you guys feel on the other side of the fence.

SK74 said:
No disrespect but if Manning goes down as the best QB of all time there is something seriously wrong. I mean if that's your opinion okay cool but just out of curiosity what is it that makes Manning look so great to you ?

IMO Tom Brady 10x >> Maninng

Again not trying to start a flame war or anything, just wondering how you guys feel on the other side of the fence.

Basically because he is rewriting the record books and he is still only half way through his career.

kutzy said:
Basically because he is rewriting the record books and he is still only half way through his career.

Okay I can understand that but great stats don't make him the greatest QB of all time, plus other QB's have shown his records can broken. Also I love to add that no one ever mentions the name Marvin Harrison, he's a big reason that Manning has such good stats, he accounts for a little over 10,000 of Manning's passing yards.

IMO there just has to be something that sets you apart from the rest, a few more Super Bowl's would be a good start.

Also to say he is only halfway through his career after 11 seasons is a bit conceited, I'm sorry but it's unrealistic to assume that he will play 11 more at this point.

Feel free to counter anything I said.

I don't think that the SB rings mean you are the best in the business, you might be the best QB with no team around you so you might not be all that great.

I think that when a great QB has a decent to good team around him they can win. In my life I have seen several subpar QBs win a SB and to me that doesn't mean they are better than other QBs, just on the right team at the right time.

Brady is a fantastic QB, but I would not mind having him or Peyton Manning on my team (if only I had my own team). There are others I would take too, but it seems many are debating between Peyton and Tommy for this little link.

ctkenjr said:
I don't think that the SB rings mean you are the best in the business, you might be the best QB with no team around you so you might not be all that great.

I think that when a great QB has a decent to good team around him they can win. In my life I have seen several subpar QBs win a SB and to me that doesn't mean they are better than other QBs, just on the right team at the right time.

Brady is a fantastic QB, but I would not mind having him or Peyton Manning on my team (if only I had my own team). There are others I would take too, but it seems many are debating between Peyton and Tommy for this little link.

Hey, the same argument can be made for a players stats, like I said no one ever mentions Marvin Harrison when you talk about how impressive Manning's stats are.

The point I am trying to make is that Peyton Manning has had a supporting cast for a while now, and in that time span he has only managed to win the big game once. I mean after all that is the ultimate goal of every player, to win the Super Bowl right ?

So if that doesn't put you ahead of the rest I don't know what does because it sure as hell isn't just stats.

Also like you said you put a sub-par QB with a good team and they can win but Manning has had one of the most productive receivers for the entirety of his career and hasn't done much other than dazzle people in the Regular season.

SK74 said:
Okay I can understand that but great stats don't make him the greatest QB of all time, plus other QB's have shown his records can broken. Also I love to add that no one ever mentions the name Marvin Harrison, he's a big reason that Manning has such good stats, he accounts for a little over 10,000 of Manning's passing yards.

IMO there just has to be something that sets you apart from the rest, a few more Super Bowl's would be a good start.

Also to say he is only halfway through his career after 11 seasons is a bit conceited, I'm sorry but it's unrealistic to assume that he will play 11 more at this point.

Feel free to counter anything I said.

Conceited? I think you picke the wrong word there.

QB's will get you around 16-17 good years. While he is on the downside of that, he still has plenty of time left, which was the point.

The argument can be made thar Harrison would be nothing without Manning. On top of that, I guess we need to take Joe Montana and Steve YOung off the list of good QB's. They had Jerry Rice. Elway? Nope hes off the list, he had Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe and Antonio Freeman. Thats nearly 30,000 yards. Dan Marino? Nope, never won a Super Bowl and because thats what makes a good QB, he cant be very good.

LOL... this is great... Manning never won a single game that super bowl year in the playoffs.... his 7 INTs in the AFC playoffs run is a testament to that... the d bailed him out...
fact of the matter.... Peyton is one of the greatest REGULAR season QBs of all time.... every single BIG game he needs to win he has performed at subpar levels... as far as Marino goes... out of all QBs mentioned, he will be surrounded by the lowest amount of hall of famers during his playing career with dwight stephenson the only inductee... zach thomas, jason taylor, and richmond webb as the only possible future candidates.... pretty good considering he is second or third all time in total victories.(one behind elway and i think favre may have passed them)
Its at this time I would like to point out, Super Bowl victories are not a testament to a great qb... but great teams... otherwise trent dilfer is a great qb as well... also, I would like everyone to address the original question as MOST overrated... a great qb can be considered overrated, a great qb can be considered underrated, for example Steve Young... My question to all, if Tony Romo wins a Super Bowl this year or next year after throwing 7 picks during the playoffs... is he no longer overrated? Because Manning and Romo have had similar careers minus the one Super Bowl ring Manning picked up. Early exits in the playoffs after having the best regular season record in the nfl.

marinocollector said:
LOL... this is great... Manning never won a single game that super bowl year in the playoffs.... his 7 INTs in the AFC playoffs run is a testament to that... the d bailed him out...
fact of the matter.... Peyton is one of the greatest REGULAR season QBs of all time.... every single BIG game he needs to win he has performed at subpar levels... as far as Marino goes... out of all QBs mentioned, he will be surrounded by the lowest amount of hall of famers during his playing career with dwight stephenson the only inductee... zach thomas, jason taylor, and richmond webb as the only possible future candidates.... pretty good considering he is second or third all time in total victories.(one behind elway and i think favre may have passed them)
Its at this time I would like to point out, Super Bowl victories are not a testament to a great qb... but great teams... otherwise trent dilfer is a great qb as well... also, I would like everyone to address the original question as MOST overrated... a great qb can be considered overrated, a great qb can be considered underrated, for example Steve Young... My question to all, if Tony Romo wins a Super Bowl this year or next year after throwing 7 picks during the playoffs... is he no longer overrated? Because Manning and Romo have had similar careers minus the one Super Bowl ring Manning picked up. Early exits in the playoffs after having the best regular season record in the nfl.

This is ridiculous, I mean because he threw 3 Ints in one game against KC, which the colts were controlling that game anyway, where was the defense in 02, in 03 vs KC, in 04 w/o his 4 tds it would have been close game or would've lost, and in 05 where the defense needed to stop the steelers, and in 06 vs NWE where the defense gave up 34, and in 07 where chargers put up 28, where is this GREAT defense that bails out Peyton? Don't take one stat and base your argument as being the whole truth.

All good QBs had good Receivers,(RB,WR,TE), if you want to compare, compare their stats, and you will find that Peyton's is by FAR better, Marino, Elway, Aikman, and Favre, never did anyone prepare for a game like Peyton, or befuddle the defense like peyton. Overrated? I think not! Just because you win a SB, it doesn't mean that you are a great QB

Marino was a good QB that didn't win the SB, Elway was a good QB that won a SB and if peyton last another 7-8 years he will have most if not all QB records. He will be the measuring stick for future star QBs when he retires!

kutzy said:
Conceited? I think you picke the wrong word there.

QB's will get you around 16-17 good years. While he is on the downside of that, he still has plenty of time left, which was the point.

The argument can be made thar Harrison would be nothing without Manning. On top of that, I guess we need to take Joe Montana and Steve YOung off the list of good QB's. They had Jerry Rice. Elway? Nope hes off the list, he had Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe and Antonio Freeman. Thats nearly 30,000 yards. Dan Marino? Nope, never won a Super Bowl and because thats what makes a good QB, he cant be very good.

Yeah sorry I couldn't think of the word I wanted to use but either way to assume that anyone will play 11 more years, which would make Manning 45 when he retires is just ludicrous.

Any real Colts fan wouldn't even say that, I mean I watch Colts games when I can and I have seen Marvin Harrison bail him out time after time again. When are people going to admit that ? Just go on Youtube and just about every Marvin Harrison highlight video is filled with overthrown balls or sideline ball where Marvin has no choice but to break his toes dragging his feet.

And yeah your right there were other great QB's but we're talking about the BEST QB of all time, not just a good one.

megabyterex said:
This is ridiculous, I mean because he threw 3 Ints in one game against KC, which the colts were controlling that game anyway, where was the defense in 02, in 03 vs KC, in 04 w/o his 4 tds it would have been close game or would've lost, and in 05 where the defense needed to stop the steelers, and in 06 vs NWE where the defense gave up 34, and in 07 where chargers put up 28, where is this GREAT defense that bails out Peyton? Don't take one stat and base your argument as being the whole truth.

All good QBs had good Receivers,(RB,WR,TE), if you want to compare, compare their stats, and you will find that Peyton's is by FAR better, Marino, Elway, Aikman, and Favre, never did anyone prepare for a game like Peyton, or befuddle the defense like peyton. Overrated? I think not! Just because you win a SB, it doesn't mean that you are a great QB

Marino was a good QB that didn't win the SB, Elway was a good QB that won a SB and if peyton last another 7-8 years he will have most if not all QB records. He will be the measuring stick for future star QBs when he retires!

IMO I have always thought Jon Elway was overrated because like you said all great QB's have great WR's, but Elway had several !

Time and time I've said it and I will say it again, a Super Bowl does not make you a great QB but winning multiple times is what's set you apart from the rest ! Regular season records mean virtually nothing, records are meant to be broken and they will be. Hell he had his Touchdown record for like 1 season and it was broken.

Come back to me when Peyton breaks records in the games that matter, the Playoffs, the Super Bowl.

You say that superbowls dont mean everything, then say they do. You also state that Regular season records mean nothing then throw a little jab in about how Brady owns a regular season record.

What are your qualifications for the best QB? Brady does not have the best regular or post season records yet you think he is the best?

Dan Marino is the measuring stick. IMO, noone else is close right now. I think Manning is the only person in the league currently who has a chance to topple Marino. Especially with the recent injury to Tom Brady. Not too many QB's come back from an injury like that, he does not have history on his side.

Edit: I am not a Colts fan, nor have I ever been. Peyton Manning is not my favorite player, nor even a top 3 favorite at the QB position.

kutzy said:
You say that superbowls dont mean everything, then say they do. You also state that Regular season records mean nothing then throw a little jab in about how Brady owns a regular season record.

What are your qualifications for the best QB? Brady does not have the best regular or post season records yet you think he is the best?

Dan Marino is the measuring stick. IMO, noone else is close right now. I think Manning is the only person in the league currently who has a chance to topple Marino. Especially with the recent injury to Tom Brady. Not too many QB's come back from an injury like that, he does not have history on his side.

Edit: I am not a Colts fan, nor have I ever been. Peyton Manning is not my favorite player, nor even a top 3 favorite at the QB position.

Where did I say Super Bowls mean everything ? My point was that there are several factors that make a QB great, stats alone does not put you on a level above everyone else, a combination of Super Bowl wins & stats is good start. Physical abilities is another one like Rice had speed, Young had the arm etc. Also me saying that Brady broke Mannings record was merely to point out the fact that records can be broken, they have been broken and will continue to be broken in the future.

One thing Brady does have above Manning is the fact that he played with several different WR groups ranging from horrible to great and everytime he still got the job done. Last season was the first time he's ever had top notch WR's to throw to and he absolutley ate defense's alive.

IMO I don't think Brady or Manning are the best QB's of all time but I do believe that Brady is one step closer due to the fact that he has a fist full of rings.

My idea between Manning Vs Brady is this..... Sorgi's rating is 90.4 career... Cassell is failing to man a team that Brady led to a perfect season last year... translation, who's making the biggest difference for their team if they are or are not in the game? And IMO having Manning in the listing for one of the greatest of all time is why he is overrated.... I feel he is not even in the top 5because ultimately what divides the greats from the goods is the ability to lift less talented players to new heights... and being able to win games when the team is failing around you.... something I feel Manning is not able to do.... As far as preparation, Peyton Manning is nothing more than the greatest offensive coordinator to play QB....

Back