Who Is The Best Running Back Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts from an elder -

What Jim Brown did was unbelievable. When Franco Harris was getting up there in yardage, Jim Brown challenged him to mano-a-mano contests.

Sweetness was special, but obviously not that special, since Ditka thought it was more important that the Fridge score a TD in the Superbowl. (sheesh!) speaking of the Bears, don't forget Gale Sayers.

Barry Sanders played for the Lions, and still had a great career. 'Nuff said.

O.J. Anderson would have won a rushing title his rookie year, but he got hurt in the final game against the Bears, and Walter won another title.

Emmitt Smith played on some great teams, and piled up a lot of yardage. Does that make him the best ever? Probably not any more than it makes Troy Aikman or Phil Simms the best QB ever. In my opinion, the guys who had great careers in spite of their team are the ones who end up getting overlooked.

Eric Dickerson, O.J. Simpson, Jerome Bettis - they all have their fans.

BUT, I'm afraid for the best all time, I'd have to go with Jim Brown.

fdgowin

haha yes, thats after he turned 42 around 360 % just by running at him.

Show me some proof that Barry couldn't move the ball in 1 yard situations. You have yet to show us any proof. I think the clip speaks for its self. He made so much out of nothing.

I bet you didn't even watch it.

Its between Jim Brown and Barry Sanders, I think we all agree. Sweetness isn't even in this conversation any more.

I didnt have to watch the clip because I remember it. Its a classic NFL highlight. But your comment of me not watching it brings a lot of validity to your argument.

Also, I am unable to find a clip of Barry being taken out of the game for short yardage situations like he constantly was.... apparently not a highlight worthy of YouTube. But if you could recall, one of the major arguments Emmitt Fans said was he scored more TDs than Barry. In contrast, Barry fans would say, Barry never had as many oppurtunities because they would take him out of the game in goalline situations, because of "his line". Any true Sanders enthusiast would recall this from his playing career.

Even today, you can hear announcers comment how Reggie Bush is similar to Barry Sanders, the only difference is Barry would magically skipper off a 60 yard run every other game.

Hope and faith...
Ty Cobb was born in 1886.... or 23 years after Lincoln issued the emanicapation proclamation.... which made slavery illegal in the usa... sorry, cobb never even lived when slavery was allowed in the us. He was as racist as any man wanted to be, just like every man was as racist as they wanted to be in the 50s.... Cobb and Brown lived in the similar situations, except Brown was black so his racism must not be justifiable.

IN FINAL WORDS.... This is my last comment on this subject.... and I think the Barry fans would agree with me on this assessment of Barry....

When I think of Barry Sanders I think , Oh my Gosh, how'd he do that?

When I think of Jim Brown, I think, Oh my Gosh, how do you stop him?

That is why Jim Brown is the greatest... hands down, always will be.... unless Ladanian says something about it or Adrian stays healthy long enough to prove otherwise.

ok man first of all Jim Brown was a FullBack in the first place not discracing Jim Brown he was THE best fullback ewver in history no doubt about that. Yes Barry Sanders was the top 2 flashyest players to step on a field and Walter Payton was #1 I saw a clip on youtube.com and it showed Walter carrying a 350+ pound lineman it looked like he was at least 300+ and walter being 210 was able to carry him about 6-9 yards with the lineman holding on Walters back with his legs wrapped around him./ nuff Said Walter Payton THE best runing bck in History~!!!!!!! My top 3 are

1.) Walter Payton
2.)Barry Sanders
3.)Jim Brown

marinocollector said:
I didnt have to watch the clip because I remember it. Its a classic NFL highlight. But your comment of me not watching it brings a lot of validity to your argument.

Also, I am unable to find a clip of Barry being taken out of the game for short yardage situations like he constantly was.... apparently not a highlight worthy of YouTube. But if you could recall, one of the major arguments Emmitt Fans said was he scored more TDs than Barry. In contrast, Barry fans would say, Barry never had as many oppurtunities because they would take him out of the game in goalline situations, because of "his line". Any true Sanders enthusiast would recall this from his playing career.

Even today, you can hear announcers comment how Reggie Bush is similar to Barry Sanders, the only difference is Barry would magically skipper off a 60 yard run every other game.

Hope and faith...
Ty Cobb was born in 1886.... or 23 years after Lincoln issued the emanicapation proclamation.... which made slavery illegal in the usa... sorry, cobb never even lived when slavery was allowed in the us. He was as racist as any man wanted to be, just like every man was as racist as they wanted to be in the 50s.... Cobb and Brown lived in the similar situations, except Brown was black so his racism must not be justifiable.

i never said slavery was legal i said it was still a common practice in the late 1800's or early 1900's. just because lincoln abolished slavery doesnt mean it stopped on a dime, thats all many blacks new. there were still tons of white men that had blacks doing their hard labor for food and shalter. dont kid yourself now!! just because it was illegal doesnt mean it didnt continue for many years after that it was just a matter of who got caught and who didnt! also racism was still common in the 50's, but not so much today and jim brown to this day is still as racist as they come! anyways enough about the history lessons, and ty cobb who was without a shadow of a doubt one of the greatest hitters to ever play baseball period! this is about the best runningback ever which in my opinion is hands down barry sanders!!

Jim stats in 118 regular season games
Att: 2,359 Yds: 12,312 Avg: 5.2 TD: 106
Jims not even in the discussion any more
Tomlinson
TD-128 (15 reicieving)
yrds rushing 10,594
yrds recieving 3,368
almost 500 receptions
He has only ten less carries so he wont catch his yards-attempts but he smokes him away in touchdowns and will be way ahead in rushing yards quickly. Also thiers probably no way that Browns recieving was anywhere near Tomlinsons has Tomlinson could probably be a pro bowl reciever also. I don't know if Barrys numbers were better then Jim Browns but I also know that he had less touchdowns.

i give up, i collect l.t but i still say barry hands down. l.t is on a team that has one hell of a line, and he also is faster then barry many times out running people. barry's feet, vision, and cutting ability/ moves are second to no one who has ever played the game of football.

also tomlinson has a lot of catches because san diego has no receivers!! they use tomlinson on screens, and in the slot way more then barry had to be used.

Yes we all know your opinion on the matter - I doubt youre going to change the minds of others by repeating yourself.

well guess what walter payton had the worst blocking and was on a crappy team for over half his career. And payton could do it all he could block kick run and yes even pass for 11 td's. so I dont care what ya say Walter Payton was The best running back ever!

BearsFan51 said:
yeah LT is the bets running back NOW but he is no where close to the great Walter Payton!
you havent backed it up once. and when LT does retire. he will be better then brown or payton anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back