Football Vikings extend Childress deal

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
The Minnesota Vikings signed Brad Childress to a contract extension that will keep the coach with the team through the 2013 season.

Financial terms weren't immediately available but the deal is believed to be between $4 million and $5 million a year, the source said. In 2006, Childress signed a five-year, $10 million contract, which was scheduled to expire after the 2010 season.

"Brad has done a tremendous job leading this football team and we value the positive environment he has created for the Minnesota Vikings on and off the field," Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said in a statement. "He has continued to positively impact this team and create a strong foundation for future success."

The Vikings are off to an 8-1 start with Brett Favre at quarterback. Childress' record in Minnesota is 32-25. The Vikings made the playoffs last year and are trying to get the top seed in the NFC.

Both sides have been working on a deal for the past several months. The agreement came together Thursday morning.

As a team, the Vikings are loaded. They have 22 players on their roster who are in the top five in fan voting for the Pro Bowl.

"My family and I are very fortunate to be a part of the Minnesota Vikings organization," Childress said in a statement. "I value the opportunity to continue to lead this team over the next several years as we work toward our ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl for our passionate fans everywhere."

Back