UD has made there last NFL Properties Approved cards.

ernieren

Prospect
Transactions: 1
NFL Properties Announcement - No Renewal for UD

Just a quick heads up, but UD was unable to renew its football card license with NFL Properties for the 2010 NFL season.

A formal press release will be forthcoming from the NFL, but just wanted you to know about it.

And just in case you’re looking for a statement from UD, here’s a quote that you can attribute to Richard McWilliam, Upper Deck’s CEO and Founder:

“Over the past year, Upper Deck has attempted to negotiate a new licensing deal with NFL Properties. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we were not able to reach agreeable terms, and therefore will not be issuing any NFL Properties-licensed trading cards for the 2010 season. Upper Deck will continue to focus on its exclusive license agreement with the Collegiate Licensing Company and co-exclusive agreements with NHL Enterprises and the NHL Players’ Association, as well as its multiple entertainment licenses.”

-Terry

Terry Melia
Public Relations Mgr.
The Upper Deck Company

Well Now its just Panni as top player this yr. Lets see what they do now.

Glad to see the lies, bait and switch, and redemptions finally bite them in the ***. While they had a good run, I think their outlook for the growth and stability of the hobby was lost by greed and profits. Not sure why Topps was cut out as well. I fear for Panini because what they showed us last year was very mediocre rehashing of the same old designs.

...anyone have any startup cash to be the fourth card company?

Upper Deck definitely is not flawless but this is not a good thing. Hockey has had to live with 5 years of Upper Deck exclusive and it has been terrible for the hobby. No competition makes companies lazy, unimaginative and less interested in making customer service a priority.

Panini has not been terrible their first season under the belt. I look forward to seeing what they put together for hockey this coming year but I feel sorry that this is the only option in football now.

While I agree this is terrible for the hobby, can't say they didn't deserve it. How many times in the past 5 years have people been upset with something stupid UD did and said 'lets boycot?'

I fear this is very damaging for the hobby. But if there is a lockout in 2011, the NFLPA will be hurting for money and will give everyone and their cousin a license in 2012.

So UD has only a co-exclusive in hockey in the upcoming season and can't do football, baseball or basketball?

I liked what I got out of Panini this year, but would like to see an improvement in making their brands more unique from one another. Hopefully they are up to the task.

Well this is a big chance for panini to really dive in and up there game .

heres my wants
1 Better designs that differ from set to set. Not this same ol crap from 09 .

2 Better photography more poses used . Also fit the whole picture on the card .

3 Maybe work on cutting out the 30 different inserts per set . We only need 3 max .

4Try to get more on card auto's for higher end sets or for the top rc's . with less parties involved this should be a bit easier at rookie premier.

5 Less redemptions.

They reupped with the NFL players Assc. last week. I think they still will have football cards, they just will not be able to have the team names and logos on them.

Back