Tim From Maryland

T

TimmyH6

Greetings everyone,

My name is Tim and I am new to SportsCardClub. I heard about the site while searching for others like it. I am glad to be a new member and look forward to discussing the sports trade business with others.

I grew up collecting as a youth and have baseball, basketball and football cards from the 1980's and 90's. Many of them are in mint condition. My older ones magically disappeared while I was away at college. I collect more as a hobby than to trade and just like having the cards around. However, I do not collect baseball cards anymore. After the 1994 player's strike, I vowed never to buy another baseball card and have not.

The one thing that I do continue to collect are old books and sports publications. I have two full shelves of sports books which go back as far as the late 1950's. I have publications that go back to the 1960's and include old "Street and Smith's" and "Peterson's" yearbooks. Most of the books were bought at used book sales or online while many of the magazines are ones that I kept or were given to me by my cousin. Like the cards, I do not collect for trade, I just like having the books around and being able to use them for reference from time to time.

It's my way of getting away from all of the noise on ESPN.

Welcome to SCC!

I get where you're at with the '94 strike, but it's almost been 20 years and most of the people responsible are long gone.

Just something to keep in mind.

That said, I understand about the seriousness of your vow, and admire your determination. ;)

Welcome to SCC!

I get where you're at with the '94 strike, but it's almost been 20 years and most of the people responsible are long gone.

Just something to keep in mind.

That said, I understand about the seriousness of your vow, and admire your determination. ;)

I know that most of them are gone, but it doesn't matter to me. They were making enough money then and those who have followed are making even more. Why should I give them mine?

Besides, I have to admit with the addition of wildcards and no real historical story lines since the Red Sox won the World Series, baseball has become boring and the season too long. It seems that the powers that be are trying to generate excitement instead of letting the game create it. I would rather have two teams legitimately end the season tied instead of having a one-game wildcard which makes no sense. How a sport based on regular and post season series' can justify a one-game wildcard is beyond me.

If not for the Washington Nationals, I probably would not follow baseball much at all.

I know that most of them are gone, but it doesn't matter to me. They were making enough money then and those who have followed are making even more. Why should I give them mine?
I hear ya. IMO, the old-timers deserve a chunk of this new cash-flow, as they put their bodies on the line for little to nothing, especially compared to today's players.

I'm rather irked that I can only watch a handful of games a year (none so far this year, football-wise), as I'm usually "blacked-out" of everything. There's no way I'm going to fork over a few hundred $$$ to watch a few more games...I need that money, they don't lol

But, the cards are different to me, as they have "eye-appeal" and are worth something, though not terribly much compared to the costs of collecting and storing 'em. Still, I collect 'em, as they have an appeal to me that isn't diminished by strikes or steroids or salaries, as they are mine, to do with as I wish.

I hear ya. IMO, the old-timers deserve a chunk of this new cash-flow, as they put their bodies on the line for little to nothing, especially compared to today's players.

I'm rather irked that I can only watch a handful of games a year (none so far this year, football-wise), as I'm usually "blacked-out" of everything. There's no way I'm going to fork over a few hundred $$$ to watch a few more games...I need that money, they don't lol

But, the cards are different to me, as they have "eye-appeal" and are worth something, though not terribly much compared to the costs of collecting and storing 'em. Still, I collect 'em, as they have an appeal to me that isn't diminished by strikes or steroids or salaries, as they are mine, to do with as I wish.
Any cards that I have from my youth do mean something to me. I still like to look at the old ones from time to time. But anything after 1994 is meaningless.

When I was growing up, there was no bigger thrill then going to the store and buying a pack of "Topps" baseball card. I never much got into "Fleer" or "Donruss". "Topps" was my brand. We used to put them in shoe boxes and use them for games in which we used the old dartboard that had the baseball diamond on the back. We also used to shuffle the cards which had the baseball plays on the back. I can't recall what year off the top of my head.

Cards from my youth will always have meaning. I just drew a timeline as to when my collecting days ended.

Back