The Gone But Not Forgotten Thread

Chet 'The Jet' Walker passed away age 84. An NBA Hall of Famer and 1967 Champion with the Sixers, Chet was a mainstay of the game for the Bulls as well later in his career.

1000001171.jpg

We just visited the Cardinals HOF and Museum yesterday, and it struck me how many of our Hall of Famers have died in recent years. In 2018, we lost Red Schoendienst at age 95, Lou Brock (81) and Bob Gibson (84) in less than a month in 2020, Bruce Sutter (69) in 2022, Tim McCarver (81) and Mike Shannon (83) in another 2 month span in 2023, and then Whitey Herzog this past April. That's been a tough stretch for St. Louis.

This is most definitely confirmed…everyone was covering it this morning. Only player to ever win Finals MVP in a losing effort. A winner in every facet of his career, possibly the greatest NBA executive of all time.
I can't imagine anyone who impacted basketball more than Mr. West. He's one of the best guards of all time and one of the most influential executives.

Mike Brumley..Longtime utilityman passes away (61Y) in auto accident in Mississippi..Played for Mariners-Cubs-Red Sox...was coach with Braves farm system

Terrible news to all baseball fans.
Giants announce that Hall of Fame Great Willie Mays has passed away at the age of 93!
Willie Howard Mays Jr. (May 6, 1931 – June 18, 2024), nicknamed "the Say Hey Kid", was an American professional baseball center fielder. Regarded as one of the greatest players ever, Mays ranks second behind only Babe Ruth on most all-time lists, including those of The Sporting News and ESPN. Mays played in the National League (NL) between 1951 and 1973 for the New York / San Francisco Giants and New York Mets.

The Willie Mays loss is the biggest loss to baseball I think since Dimaggio or Mantle passed. Same could be said for Musial or Aaron, but Mays was the influencer for young ball players in the late 50's through the late 70's.. more so than anyone else. He single handedly made baseball what it became in the 70s to now I think! RIP Say Hey!

I believe Willie was a Giant influencer up until he died. He could be found at Giant' spring training and regular season games, talking to all the Giant players.
Mays was named special assistant to the president and general manager of the Giants in 1986.[241][242] He signed a lifetime contract with the team in 1993 and helped to muster public enthusiasm for building Pac Bell Park, which opened in 2000.[243] Mays founded a charity, the Say Hey Foundation, which promotes youth baseball.[244] The Giants retired Mays's number 24 in May 1972.[245] Oracle Park, their stadium, is at 24 Willie Mays Plaza. In front of the main entrance is a nine-foot-tall statue of Mays, who has a private box at the stadium. When the Giants dedicated a Wall of Fame to their greatest players in 2008, Mays became part of its inaugural class.[246]

At a special ceremony during the Mets’ 60th anniversary Old-Timer's Game on August 27, 2022, the team announced that, pursuant to a promise Mets’ owner Joan Payson had made to Mays when she traded for him in 1972, they were following the Giants in retiring Mays’ number 24. Mays became the 14th person (player or manager) to have their number retired by two teams.[247][248]

Back