the day that wrestling died

I remember one time there was an interview with a promoter and they were talking about the showmanship in professional wrestling. They said a lot of it was because collegiate/folkstyle wrestling wouldn't be exciting enough to draw the crowds, so they had a add a little something extra.

I think the UFC found out what that little something extra was and was able to stay real.

fdgowin

who ever thought the wrestling was real? ive watched wrestling since i was a kid and never thought it was real ... just entertainment , i mean just look at what they do ,,, does it look real ...
if you knew anything at all about real wrestling / fighting etc. you would know its not real ...

havent followed wrestling for a LONG time now though ...

C

I knew it was fake for some time, but I had set up a table at the FB Spectacular in NJ and the Iron Sheik and Ultimate Warrior were there. I was standing in line to meet UW when the Iron Sheik came over asking if a customer for him could get a pic with the both of them. Well, they had different promoters and UW's promoter said he would have to pay for a photo op to him as well. Iron Sheik literally flipped the heck out and slapped UW's promoter. The UW jumped in the middle and gave Iron Sheik a big old shove and it looked like it was going to go down. I joked with the guy in line ahead of me that I would clothes line the Iron Sheik if he could take a picture. The Iron Sheik left yelling obsenities in some foreign language.

My last point, it may be fake but the Iron Sheik is the only man in history to win 6 consecutive world championships when he actually was an amatuer wrestler in Iran.

It may be fake, but how many of us could do what they do day in and day out. Look at the ECW back in the day falling 30-40 feet thru a table on a concrete floor, no mats. How about a barb wire match. Terry Funk and Cactus Jack barb wire match one of them lost 1/2 his ear. Brutal

it may be fake but most of them make more money than we could only dream about LOL and they get to be with the Divas...... mmmmmmmmmmmm

Black-N-Gold said:
It may be fake, but how many of us could do what they do day in and day out. Look at the ECW back in the day falling 30-40 feet thru a table on a concrete floor, no mats. How about a barb wire match. Terry Funk and Cactus Jack barb wire match one of them lost 1/2 his ear. Brutal

Hey Brian, just wanted to say welcome to FREAKS, ya FREAK! Enjoy yourself and get to posting! Plenty of good stuff to be had here, buy, sell, trade. Add your 2 cents, or even nickel. We can use contributions of long haul hobbyists like yourself.

fake is a strong word. its is scripted but mankind falling through the top of the cage and numerous other injuries its tough to call it fake

I will say this. The day I quit watching wrestling was about 8 years ago. Monday Night Raw (or whatever its referred to now-a-days) was here in town and I got my brother and I seats in the 5th row. We couldn't see anything the entire night because of all the signs people were holding up the whole time. There was very little action in the ring because of all the drame unfolding backstage. Thats when i realized that the good ol days of "good guys vs bad guys" were gone for good. Half of the signs had stuff written on it that was innapropriate for kids to see. So was half of the dialogue in the act. If kids can't even watch it, thats just a shame because kids were the target audience back in the 80's and early 90's.

I thought it was real way back when they had the feud between Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat and Macho Man. I was a big Steamboat fan and I thought he was really hurt. I know it is fake now. But I watch for the women...Even they are fake... how sad.

I don't think "fake" is politically correct. I think the proper phrase is "surgically enhanced." :D

fdgowin

Chiefs Fan said:
I thought it was real way back when they had the feud between Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat and Macho Man. I was a big Steamboat fan and I thought he was really hurt. I know it is fake now. But I watch for the women...Even they are fake... how sad.

Back