Baseball The All-Star Game And What It Used To Be

intelliracer

Bench Warmer
As I sit and watch this year's All-Star Game in the 8th inning, I have realized this game isn't what it used to be.

It would've been amazing to be a kid in the 1960's and see outfields made up of Clemente, Mays, and Aaron. To watch Gibson, Koufax, and Drysdale pitch. To see Mantle swing, Rose run, and of course a Kaline home run. To see players who want to play nine innings. A different game. A fun game. An exhibition.

To be a kid in the 70's and watch the players from the Big Red Machine dominate the American Leaguers like Robinson To watch the careers of legends end. To see Ray Fosse get destroyed by Rose. Reggie Jackson's bomb in Detroit. Ryan, Palmer, Carlton, Seaver, and more.

To see games from the 80's where young players like Brett, Smith, Gwynn, Boggs, and some guy named Ripken were just getting their starts. A Henderson steal. Young flame throwers named Gooden, Clemens, and Saberhagen. To see the underappreciated players from the decade like Murphy, Garvey, Rice, and Blyleven.

I have seen the 90's though. I have seen The Wizard of Oz flip. Puckett swing. Ken Griffey Jr. I watched as Sandy Alomar Jr. homered in Cleveland in 1997. I saw Randy Johnson Vs. Larry Walker in '98. I watched McGwire go nuts in the Home Run Derby in '99 and stared in awe as a feeble Ted Williams met players on the field the next night.

And then the new century. Who could forget '01? Watching A-Rod trade spots with Ripken in the first inning, and the storybook ending that followed. This is all the stuff of legends.

But, then there was the tie in Milwaukee where everything started to go wrong. For one night, let the starting pitchers back in. No is the answer. "On this night, we will go one more inning, and if it stays a tie, it shall be ruled a tie." No runs score.

Then came the destroyer of the All-Star Game. "The winner of this game shall have home-field advantage in the World Series," he says in 2003.

That decision made the game no longer a game. It used to be an exhibition. Now it's a competition. It used to be a night full of fun (remember Bonds and Hunter in 2002? How about John Kruk and Randy Johnson?). Now it's a night of strategy, pitchers who pitch just one inning, and ensuring you have a stud at the end.

This isn't what I want to see. I want to see Peavy tell Guerrero to expect picthes at his eyes to hit. I want to see a planned pitch-out to watch Pudge try to throw out Reyes. I want to see pitchers throwing as hard as they can against the biggest sluggers in the game.

Maybe I'm just too old-school. Maybe I'm right. Maybe I'm wrong. But as I watch the National League stage a comeback this year in the ninth, I have to ask myself, what has happened to this game?

There's one word to describe what's gone wrong with not only the ASG but with baseball as a whole.....

SELIG

I can't wait until he retires/steps down.

intell,
that was probably the most straight answer that I have been asking for a while. I remember as a kid that there was always a sense of fun to the all star game, now I barely watch due to the fact that it is now a competition.
BAM

Myself, I don't mind seeing the teams go to the grind in the late innings trying to win. That's what you're supposed to do. But when you leave Albert Pujols on the bench because you may need somone later, you know there is something wrong.

Most of the fun evaporated when it became a "must win" for home field advantage.

The ASG used to be what it was called...the midsummer classic...a time for guys to get together that had never played together and have some fun...showoff a little...goof around a lot...not anymore.

You used to have the BEST players at the break being picked...because they deserved it. Whether that was a rooie (ala Pence & Braun) or some career .200 hitter who just happened to be having a career year.....they guys were picked by who deserved to be there...

Now, it a free for all to load on the rosters with the biggest bats to see who can win to get home field advantage in the WS. It's pathetic.

I personally haven't watched the ASG since they had the tie game debacle.

Selig certainly hasn't helped the situation. But it was getting worse regardless. I remember when no matter what, everyone had to play. Remeber the ASG that ended in a tie??? That really sucked! I like this format better, where it actually counts for something. But I also agree... Pujols should have been up for that last at bat... bases loaded, bottom of the 9th... COME ON... Pujols would have hit something in that situation!

Back