Football Suspended Bowe used diuretic

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe has been suspended without pay for four games for violating the NFL's policy against performance-enhancing substances.

Bowe's suspension, which begins immediately, has to do with the use of diuretics; he was trying to lose weight during training camp, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Bowe will not appeal the suspension.

The Chiefs said Tuesday they would have no further comment. Bowe will be eligible to return to the active roster on Dec. 14 following their Week 14 game against Buffalo.

Bowe has been a bright spot in an otherwise dismal season for the Chiefs. He leads the team with 33 catches, including six catches for 91 yards last weekend in a victory at Oakland. He also had a season-high 109 yards in the Chiefs' other win, at Washington.

The 25-year-old Bowe is in his third year in the NFL, all with Kansas City. He was a first-round draft pick in 2007 out of LSU, where his 26 touchdown receptions are a school record.

In his 40-game NFL career, he has 189 catches for 2,483 yards and 16 TDs.

The Chiefs are coming off a 16-10 victory over the Raiders heading into a home game against Pittsburgh. Kansas City has won just five of its past 35 games.

Bowe started all 16 games for the Chiefs in 2008, finishing with 86 catches -- a franchise single-season record for wide receivers -- for 1,022 yards and seven touchdowns.

As a rookie he played in all 16 games, making 15 starts and finishing with 70 catches for 995 yards and five touchdowns. His reception and receiving yardage totals set franchise season records by a Chiefs rookie.

Still, he has often been criticized for dropping too many passes. Prior to this season, he spent most of training camp in first-year head coach Todd Haley's doghouse, even being demoted to third team in what appeared to be an effort to motivate him.

diuretic = performance enhancing medication?? Wow this is news to me and I am a registered nurse. LOL. Maybe to help lose weight as this medication is to help fluid retention and normally used for patients with CHF or some sort of fluid retention disease but dont know how that can be considered a performance enhancing medication? Because he would lose weight so that would make him run faster?? Crazy!

it's not seen as a performance enhancing drug really, but it is on the banned substances list in the NFL...seems dumb that they say it is performance enhancing....

in a backwards way it would make sense to have diuretics banned if we are talking strictly water loss pills - as they remove the water from muscles, which then your body pumps blood into, carrying proteins increasing muscle mass.

Not an effective way to build muscle...but it is building muscle....

I am a firm believer that rules are rules, you know them going in (all players have a list.....if they can't find theirs, there is a dedicated phone number they can call to check if the supplement is OK). If I was making 5 million per year, I would check every freaking apple I ate just to make sure it wasn't banned......no excuse

.....and this is coming from a Bowe fan!

Back