something i thought about

scrappy

Bench Warmer
I just watched the replay of McGahee get hit. I missed it originally and didn't know until this morning who it was that got hit. In every sport I've seen an injury like that, even though he didn't hold on to the ball and no one could, most teams based on sportsmanship would give the ball back to the opposing team. Soccer if your guy gets hurt and the other team has the ball, they kick it out of bounds to stop play, and you toss in the ball to them for them stopping play. Same thing in hockey, other team gets hurt, you ice the puck to kill the play and when the face off happens you don't touch the puck and let them take it or you shoot it into your zone so they can continue play.

Why doesn't football do it? It's pure sportsmanship and the love of the game. I can't name the amount of games I've been to where someone got hurt and the other team did what was right. Super Bowl on the line or not. My younger bro got hurt at Regionals his first year, it was a total cheap shot from the other team, but they kicked the ball out of bounds to stop the play so the coach could get to him, they pulled the kid off the field cause we wanted to kill him (or I did) and after 45 minutes on the field when the ambulance showed up and got him off the field, we had the ball and threw it into one of their guys. Nationals was on the line and they did what was right. Same thing in hockey, one of their guys got stepped on across his forearm where the glove ends, he got up and took off the ice, and we iced the puck to stop the play. Doing so made it possible for his coach to leave the ice, team doc, our doc, because he passed out once he made it off the ice. Probably the grossest injury I've ever seen in my life. When everyone came back, minus Dave, the puck was dropped in our zone but we gave it back to them to carry in since that's what they were doing in the first place. Kelly Cup Finals were on the line but we didn't care.

I think it's because a posession in football is much more crucial than the other sports you listed.

In Hockey and Soccer you can lose the puck/ball in a split second after the other team let's you "have" it. In football, a turnover is huge, sometimes game changing. More so than in any other sport.

Just my opinion though.

better question why was there no helmet to helmet called? that would of voided the fumble and given the Ravens 15 yrds. I do not think Clark meant the helmet to helmet to happen but it still should of been called.

mcgaheehit.jpg

still look helmet first to me even in the photo brad gave us. Again not saying it was on purpose but there should of been a flag.

In fact the Photo makes it look like he leads with his helmet instead of his shoulder.He will get fined.

Back