Football Shopping review: Who improved most, least?

rynesandbergfan23

Bench Warmer
By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(June 26, 2007) -- At one end of the offseason spectrum are the New England Patriots, who took the proverbial shop-'til-you-drop approach toward improving a team that seemingly didn't need a whole lot of improvement.

At the other end are the Tennessee Titans, who waved goodbye to so many key players that brought them to within striking distance of the postseason but welcomed almost no significant replacements to finish the job.

With only weeks to go before NFL training camps open, teams soon will begin to learn whether they have done enough to help make themselves stronger for the 2007 season.

We're not even going to wait that long.

Our choices for the five teams that did the most and five teams that did the least to improve follow:

FIVE THAT DID MOST
--New England:
There isn't a more obvious choice. The Patriots signed arguably the best free agent at any position in former Baltimore linebacker Adalius Thomas, who brings off-the-charts athleticism to a well-coached scheme that surrounds him with other talented and smart players. Trading for former Raider malcontent Randy Moss was bold, but Bill Belichick should keep him in line well enough to provide at least a season's worth of big plays. Free agents Donte' Stallworth (Philadelphia) and Kelley Washington (Cincinnati) also look like nice additions to Tom Brady's growing arsenal. Wes Welker (trade, Miami) is a younger version of Troy Brown with game-changing returns and effective work as a slot receiver.

--San Francisco: The 49ers took on the chore of upgrading their defense with zeal. They spent huge money to acquire free-agent cornerback Nate Clements (Buffalo), who provides tight coverage and is a high-impact playmaker. Other free-agent additions -- safety Michael Lewis (Philadelphia), outside linebacker Tully Banta-Cain (New England), and nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin (Baltimore) -- should do plenty to help make for a smooth transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. The 49ers also landed a highly talented and versatile linebacker, Patrick Willis (Mississippi), with their first-round pick.

--Detroit: Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech), the second overall choice and the most talented player in the draft, is the crowning jewel of one of the most explosive receiving groups in the league. Trading with Denver for tackle George Foster and signing free-agent guard Edwin Mulitalo (Baltimore) should help tighten up pass protection and make the offensive line tougher. Free-agent defensive end Dewayne White (Tampa Bay) brings extensive knowledge of the scheme he learned when Lions coach Rod Marinelli was an assistant with the Bucs. Detroit added good depth at running back by trading with the Broncos for Tatum Bell and signing free agent T.J. Duckett (Washington).

--Tampa Bay: It might be overkill, but the Buccaneers are determined not to encounter a repeat of the quarterback depth problems that did plenty to wreck their 2006 season. That's why they grabbed free agent Jeff Garcia (Philadelphia), who has a thorough understanding of Jon Gruden's offense and is the frontrunner to begin the season in the No. 1 spot, and traded with Denver for Jake Plummer, whom the Bucs are trying to pressure into changing his mind about retirement. Incumbent starter Chris Simms, who missed 11 games last season with a spleen injury, is still very much in the picture. If free-agent tackle Luke Petitgout (Giants) fully recovers from a broken leg he suffered last season, the offensive line will be instantly better. Free-agent outside linebacker Cato June (Indianapolis) has the necessary speed and knowledge to excel in Monte Kiffin's Cover Two scheme.

--Cleveland: It's hard not to be impressed with the Browns' offseason work, even if they still appear a long way from contention. General manger Phil Savage rates high marks for the maneuvering that allowed the Browns to get immediate help at offensive tackle (Joe Thomas, Wisconsin) and their franchise quarterback of the future (Brady Quinn, Notre Dame) in the first round. Cleveland further helped its offensive line by signing free agent Eric Steinbach (Cincinnati) and, depending on how much gas is left in his tank, might have gained a one-year solution at running back in former Browns-killer Jamal Lewis (Baltimore).

FIVE THAT DID THE LEAST
--Tennessee:
The season-long suspension of Adam "Pacman" Jones might be the least of the Titans' worries. Free agent Nick Harper (Indianapolis) could prove helpful to fill Jones' cornerback void, although the Titans will be hard-pressed to find another game-breaking return man. Larger problems figure to loom within an offense that lost a highly explosive running back (Travis Henry, to Denver) and two good receivers (Drew Bennett, to St. Louis, and Bobby Wade, to Minnesota).

--Chicago: Although the Bears reached Super Bowl XLI, they still had plenty of work to do to maintain their perch atop the NFC. Making tight end Greg Olsen (Miami) their first-round draft pick doesn't look as if it will be nearly enough to get the job done. Nor does their trading with Washington for safety Adam Archuleta or signing free-agent defensive tackle Anthony Adams (San Francisco). Shipping running back Thomas Jones to the Jets for next to nothing could backfire, especially if Cedric Benson doesn't step up to the challenge of being the lone featured back. It just seems that too much of the news emanating from the Windy City this offseason has been negative, including linebacker Lance Briggs' rants over his franchise tag and the release of troubled defensive tackle Tank Johnson.

--Green Bay: Brett Favre is sticking around for another season, but will the Packers be able to take advantage of whatever their iconic quarterback has left? He didn't get any help at receiver, despite his best efforts to convince management to sign Randy Moss. Tight end also remains a concern for a team that had the NFC's worst production in the red zone. Running back Ahman Green bolted for Houston in free agency, but the Packers used their first-round draft pick on defensive tackle Justin Harrell (Tennessee). Maybe second-rounder Brandon Jackson (Nebraska) will step up to fill Green's spot, along with Vernand Morency, but that remains to be seen.

--Minnesota: The Vikings did add a dynamic playmaker in first-round draft pick Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma), but their offense could muddle along with second-year project Tarvaris Jackson or unproven Brooks Bollinger at quarterback. Second-rounder Sidney Rice (South Carolina) helps at wide receiver, but the Vikings still appear to be lacking at the position. They didn't do much of anything to upgrade an inconsistent pass rush.

--Baltimore: As a 2006 playoff team returning most of its starters, the Ravens didn't have much to fix. But they did lose one of the NFL's best defensive players in Adalius Thomas. Their most notable acquisition, running back Willis McGahee (trade, Buffalo), has yet to consistently resemble the top-flight player that he has loudly boasted to be. First-rounder Ben Grubbs, an offensive guard from Auburn, was a solid pick. However, a revamped offensive line needs to show significant improvement, especially in the running game.

I find it funny that Vic Carucci (one of the better writers in my opinion) gives ABSOLUTELY no love to the Bronco's for their off-season? I don't understand why the media rides the jock of the Patriots all day either?

The Patriots in my opinion beside Adalius Thomas, picked up NO ONE that is worth a hoot, Randy Moss - if and when he decides to contruibute may work out ok, Stallworth - well let's see how long before his hammstring acts up this year I say 6 games in he goes out for 5 games, Wes Welker - guy has one half decent season and everyone thinks he's the next Steve Largent, Sammy Morris - nuff said ... what in the heck has he done lately??

Bronco's picked up a SOLID running back with Travis Henry, a solid TE with Daniel Graham, a decent slot WR with Stokley if he can get back from his injury ... if not oh well we don't really need him AND Denver solidified their Defense with the addition of Dre Bly, Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and what could possibly be the STEAL of the draft Marcus Thomas. But yet Cleveland get's mentioned because they got what ... Joe Thomas, Brady Quinn and Jamal Lewis???

Give me a freaking break!!

This article is POOP to me and not just because I'm a Bronco fan either.

its by far poop Tampa Bay and Detroit have no right being on that list on the top there offseason should be down in the worst Jeff Garcia and Tatum bell bigger then Travis Henry and Daniel Graham and not to leave out Jamie Kennedy and Sam Adams to solidify the defensive line in the mddle with Gerard Warren. I rate the article a -5

The Lions definately had a good offseason. Plus, I'm happy that the Lions got rid of Bly. He is a total pain, and hopes that he gets absolutely torn up by Roy or Calvin.

Good luck Broncos !

I would agree Denver should probably be on Vics list, but at the end of the day who cares what Vic thinks? Let the season speak for ya, it will be here soon enough and I dont know about you but I can hardly wait!

ok..

how are the vikings so far down on that list? imo they had a GREAT offseason, picking up rice and peterson. Now they have a young solid core w/ jackson, peterson, and rice. That could be the best 1, 2, 3 combo in a few years.

However i do agree with this guy on the titans being on the bad list. They did absolutey nothing to help out young this offseason.

They picked up 2 unproven players. That's it. Adrian Peterson, and Sindney Rice. Peterson I think could be good, but Rice won't help that WR core that much. If they would've got Calvin Johnson (yes, still unproven), I'm sure that they would be higher on the list rather than the bottom 5.

Yes. Potential can't make you a great team. Turning that potential into greatness is what makes you a good team. I think the Vikes deserve to be as low as they are, because they really didn't pick up any veterans.

#11 Roy Williams said:
The Lions definately had a good offseason. Plus, I'm happy that the Lions got rid of Bly. He is a total pain, and hopes that he gets absolutely torn up by Roy or Calvin.

Good luck Broncos !

You'll be holloring a different story when Foster let's every DT in for a sack, Tatum Bell fumbles the ball on the 5 yard line and Champ and Dre SHUT DOWN Roy and CJ when we meet this year. :)

The season couldn't start soon enough!!!!!

Back