Selling at Card Shows

ChiPhil

Bench Warmer
I've got a box of cards (ranging in value from 'quarter book' to vintage to current star autos) that I'm just not too interested in. I don't really want to sell them online and be hassled with all the shipping. There are monthly card shows in my area though and a table is only $20-$40.
I figure I'll go to one and gauge traffic.
Thought I'd check here and see if anyone has had any success in selling at shows. Or if anyone frequents shows it'd be great to have a better idea of what sells. Last thing I want is a table full of cards that no one wants.
Thanks.

I have been doing Card Shows for over 10 years... and enjoy doing them... even if I do not make a profit... and sometimes do not recover the table(s) cost.

I would recommend checking out the show first... see what the other vendors are offering and how they display their items.

The biggest advice I can give you is... no matter who it is that walks by your table, if they just look at your table or you, then say "hello! how are you today?"

Have fun... be prepared to shoot the breeze for a while with potential buyers... and enjoy yourself!

Ranbethscards is right. It's more about enjoying the atmosphere, checking out other collections and specialty cards and developing relationships. At least that's what I've experienced in the couple card shows that I have been to. I have never sold anything at a card show but I have gone as a buyer though I ended up buying only 4 cards. I spent hours at each show just talking with fellow collectors and sports fans.

So, be prepared for nobody to be interested in your box. They might check it out just to price the cards and compare them to what else is on the market.

In my experience card shows are fun to go to but selling is a whole different story. I've found that is really hard to regain table costs but other than that they are wonderful places to network with other card collectors.

I like going to shows just to network and see what everyone is selling. I don't think I am people friendly enough for selling. Are their andy sportscard shops near you? I would try to sell to a shop if I were you.

Back