Football Ryan says he's true to himself

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
New York Jets coach Rex Ryan says his crying in front of his team earlier this week is just another example of him staying true to himself.

Ryan got emotional during a team meeting Monday morning, a day after a 24-22 loss to Jacksonville. The coach says he believes in himself and his team, and "if that comes out, it comes out."

Poking fun at himself at his news conference Wednesday, Ryan took a box of tissues from a member of the media relations staff and placed it on the podium. He then declared, "I'm man enough to be me."

The story was first reported by the New York Post on Tuesday, and Ryan's teary display has been criticized by some and praised by others since.

In a later teleconference with reporters covering the Patriots, Ryan said the tears were "straight from the heart" and "anybody that's ever been around me knows that's the way I am."

"You can ask the people in Baltimore [where Ryan was defensive coordinator] or the team, it's just that it's never got out before," he said. "I'm like that. I'm an emotional guy. I'm a passionate person. My main message is that I came here to be a champion. I believe in myself and I believe in his football team and I just wanted to make sure they knew that's who I am."

The teleconference had a few other light moments, one of which came after Ryan was asked how the Jets' defense is different without injured 6-foot-4, 360-pound defensive tackle Kris Jenkins.

"It's a little smaller," he answered.

When there was no laughter from the media, Ryan told reporters they should lighten up.

Ryan was also asked about Bill Belichick's decision to go for it on fourth down deep in his own territory in the Patriots' loss to the Indianapolis Colts, and he said he couldn't question it.

"But if I would have made that decision and it wouldn't have worked, I'd be hanging from the Empire State Building," he said.

Back