Football Russell impresses in first practice

rynesandbergfan23

Bench Warmer
NFL.com wire reports

ALAMEDA, Calif. (May 4, 2007) -- JaMarcus Russell dropped back and fired a pass through tight coverage that hit fellow rookie Johnathan Holland between the 1 and the 8 on his jersey.

The top pick with the rocket arm made an immediate impression on the Oakland Raiders in his first practice.

"I think that kid, 18, is in there getting a rubdown," defensive tackle Warren Sapp said. "Caught that square-in, I bet he's got some markings on his chest. If nothing else, we're going to learn to catch with our hands or somebody's going to the hospital for some trauma. That kid's got a live arm so let's have some fun with it."

Russell's first day of practice showed off the inconsistencies that almost all rookies have when they make the transition to the NFL. He was able to drill spirals through tight coverage, but also fumbled two snaps from center, overthrew Jerry Porter on a deep pass down the sideline and missed the target on some shorter throws.

Russell admitted to a few nerves before his first day as a pro.

Full Story: NFL.com - Oakland Raiders Team News

He was able to drill spirals through tight coverage, but also fumbled two snaps from center, overthrew Jerry Porter on a deep pass down the sideline and missed the target on some shorter throws. [/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound too impressive to me. The Raiders just havent had any luck for quite some time; I say he will be a bust in the same name as Leaf!

I would rather Russell than Quinn. Quinn is just overrated because he was a Notre Dame QB with the name Brady...

I don't get how Russell can bust. Quinn is inaccurate just as is Russell... But, Russell can throw the ball 80+ yards and is HUGE.

Back